Coms (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Passed the Technician class exam this morning
Congrats!

Heads up for anyone thinking about it, the current test question pool is only good until June. Not sure how long it will take these free apps and youtube vids to catch up.

Not to dissuade you from pursuing it this winter, but I believe the general class pool doesn't expire until June 2019.

However for any newcomers, as Bryan mentioned the current technician class pool does expire in June 2018.

I read one book and tried several iOS apps, but found that HamStudy.org (mentioned earlier) was the best resource.

On the Georgia Traverse trip we met @ceby on the second day when he was able to raise us on his radio. Me, running an external magnet mount antenna on my 4w handheld could hear him but he could not hear me. He could hear @Trollhole from his similar setup 8w handheld. I wonder if it was the extra 4 watts or antenna styles that made the difference.

Last edited:
Yessir, for transmitting, power matters. Antenna and position too, but you could hear me in my 50 watt Icom too and we couldn’t hear you.

Yessir, for transmitting, power matters. Antenna and position too, but you could hear me in my 50 watt Icom too and we couldn’t hear you.

Yeah, we were deep in a valley. Even switching to my 1/4 wave antenna didn’t allow us to reach you clearly.... just enough to cause interference with your conversation.

Anyone planning on taking the test anytime soon? I am new to the game and just today started looking at the test. There is a test in Spartanburg next Tuesday, April 10th.

I got a new mobile rig installed. Anyone want to hop on a local repeater and help me test it out?
I can later when I get home. Try 146.610, its the repeater on Cesar's Head that everyone in the area uses.

What rig did you purchase?

Sweet, let me know when you're around tonight. I went with the Icom IC-2300H because I wanted the green backlight if I install it in the Ford. ;) But for next week's trip I'm running it in the LX.

Also, download Repeaterbook app for your phone, shows all the repeaters. Mt Mitchell is also another busy repeater.

I got a new mobile rig installed. Anyone want to hop on a local repeater and help me test it out?
And here I thought I was good adding a mic to my handheld. I already have the mobile plan in my head, just haven't pulled the trigger.

I can later when I get home. Try 146.610, its the repeater on Cesar's Head that everyone in the area uses.
Negative offset.

Name a time and I will try to listen in. I doubt I can hit it from here with only 5w.

And here I thought I was good adding a mic to my handheld. I already have the mobile plan in my head, just haven't pulled the trigger.

Negative offset.

Name a time and I will try to listen in. I doubt I can hit it from here with only 5w.
I can barely hit it with my HT from my house. But you may have a better view.

At OTMT 2017 all I had was an old Alinco DJ-190T handheld with 4 AA batteries and a rubber duck antenna. It was so bad, I could hardly hear anyone and definitely couldn't transmit. So when I got home I determined to come prepared next time! This Icom will do 65w and I've got a mag mount 1/4 wave so hopefully I can keep up now.

For your next upgrade look into NMO mounts, it definitely makes a difference and allows you to swap to different antennas for the needed application. I run my 1/2 wave antenna most of the time which is tall and has no flexibility, but when I hit the trail I switch to my short flexible 1/4 wave antenna.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom