Coms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bryanseye

Inaffective Grammer Nazi
SILVER Star
Threads
Between pit of man's fears and summit of knowledge
Website
www.upstatecruisers.com
Just picked up a pair of Baofeng handhelds (pending Christmas) and looking for guidance. I plan to get my license to stay legal before using them, any local advice before I start the generic google thing?

Also, does the club have some freqs they prefer using on events? Not asking for them to be posted here obviously.

146.46 is what we usually use for HAM at the events... it's just easy to remember. Google will be your friend for finding testing locations and dates up your way. There are some iPhone Apps for downloading the tests and memorizing the answers... Typically that's what folks do to get the Technician Class license. I think it's about $10 for the application fee, but any classes you take from local clubs are free by law. Once you have your call sign, it's free to change it to a vanity sign.

Thank you for being legal! :)

I'm in the process of doing the same thing. Ive found a few good Free resources online for study and some have apps for you phone so you can study anywhere (Ham Test Prep and Ham Radio Exam Tech). The Greenville Chapter of the American red-cross host tests in Gvl if that is close to you and they have monthly meetings (never attended one though)

I believe that tests are also hosted in Sparkle City but maybe not at the frequency as in Greenville. I have the HAM Radio for dummies book and also the official book but haven't spent much time in them yet.....I'm also wanting to get the license and get legit!

I'm in the process of doing the same thing. Ive found a few good Free resources online for study and some have apps for you phone so you can study anywhere (Ham Test Prep and Ham Radio Exam Tech). The Greenville Chapter of the American red-cross host tests in Gvl if that is close to you and they have monthly meetings (never attended one though)
Please share all you have discovered!!!!

Last edited:
The test is rote memorization. Run thru the app 3-5 times, and then immediately take the test. You'll do fine.

Speaking of Coms I got a CB as a gift. If I'm going to do the ham, should I take it back or install it as a secondary device? Suggestions.....

Take it back. I had one and never could get it dialed in or was the only one in the group with it.

Speaking of Coms I got a CB as a gift. If I'm going to do the ham, should I take it back or install it as a secondary device? Suggestions.....
Go HAM!

Conversely, if you're ever on the side of the interstate and trying to reach a passing truck, you're more likely to connect with someone on a CB. Not everyone has a HAM, but on the interstate, there are many more CBs.

Test this Saturday! Who's going to be there! There is still time to study and be ready!

Testing - Blue Ridge Amateur Radio Society

Feeling better after taking practice test 18 times and passing the last 9 straight! Plan to take practice tests at least once each day!

been to busy, but I need to get this done!
been to busy, but I need to get this done!

upload_2017-1-15_21-22-1.png

Yes, it's time to do so!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom