1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer under serious attack!

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by baldboy, Aug 27, 2006.

1. baldboy

baldboy

Yesterday I downloaded some "freeware" and ever since I have had two programs running in my toolbar that keep giving me fake alerts, saying my computer "is infected"....... Interrupting programs, redirecting my internet.... :mad: I can't get rid of them.

It won't let me close them out.

My computer runs slower than hell.

Apparently I have a Trojan horse, redirect programs, some fake alerts, and who knows what else on my computer.

My anti-virus software doesn't help at all. (It says unable to delete- it tells me to delete manually, I try and in my processes menu and it says access denied)

How do I get rid of this crap?!!!

Help!

2. jjbodean1970

jjbodean1970

try downloading avg antivirus software, i like it a lot, and its free

3. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

if it's something called spysherrif, then you might just be hosed.

I had a similar infection and had to scrap everything and reload.

at the time, I had updated virus protection as well as updated ad-ware protection.

I bought a fairly inexpensive hard drive, and kept the files over there. I then installed the new hard drive as the master, loaded a fresh OS on there, got everything up and running, then moved my documents, pics, and tunes over.

once I had everything that I wanted to keep moved, I did a reformat of the old drive and now I have more space...

it sucked...I tried for about a week to get rid of the spyware, but couldn't do it...

4. projektdotnet

projektdotnet

Try to find the program name (in the task manager). If you can find it then reboot into safe mode and find all instances of this program and remove it manually. It is a pain but it usually works. Also install the following programs:
    1) Spyware Blaster
    2) AVG Anti-Virus
    3) Spybot S&D
    4) Lavasoft Adaware (free version works fine)

Also this is a good example of downloading from trusted sources. Use safer download sites like tucows, download.com, freashmeat and sourceforge.
    :cheers: good luck

5. koop

koop

6. Texx

Texx

Same thing hit me, I restored my computer to an earlier date, killed it.

7. thelal

thelal

Media:
    Ireland; USA (WA,CO, CA, CT), Scotland, London
    a good bit of "freeware" comes bundled with 'junk'/spam. U need 2 b very careful when u d/w stuff and from where. Plenty of good sites out there that validate their download offerings.

8. baldboy

baldboy

Well, I got a few of them taken care of but am still getting repeated requests to access a server from files I thought had been deleted.

Thanks for the help.

9. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

I tried restoring mine, but the POS that got me erased the link to my previous update...

bastid!

10. 72FJ40LandCruiser

72FJ40LandCruiser

I had a dialer program on my computer. It would dial 900 numbers and crazy off seas numbers and racked up my phone bill. I found out that the billing company for these numbers had been already sued by the FTC for charging people for illegal phone charges, I was armed with plenty of information. I called them up and told them I wouldn't pay a cent for their virus induced charges. I got them to reverse the charges and got SBC to put a 900 block on my phone. After some research I was amazed to find how many people had been billed for these charges and had callled the company to dispute them and were glad to get them reduced to 1/2 of the original bill. I was charged $40 for ONE supposed phone call. There's not a snow ball's chance in hell that I'd be satisfied with only paying $20 for a phone call that I didn't make. GRRRRRR. I hate viruses and I hate phone companies.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">