compressor Idle pulley bearing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DKW

Threads
I'm in Florida so most of my offroading is swamp wet/dry sand and water in general. I am finding that my compressor idle pulley bearing doesn't last long before getting noisy, i would guess I need to change it every 800 miles. I replace with :-

NACHI 4 Pack 6301-2NSE9 Bearing 6301-2NSE Seals 6301-2RS Bearings 6301 RS Japan​

Is there a better bearing option? I read this one was supposed to OK.

Also I have never had the cover under the engine, not even sure how it looks (I think it is P/N 51441-60190), any opinions on whether adding this cover would be helpful? Does it give good protection?

I have no covers in the wheel wells, but I am not sure they would protect the belt area very much

TIA

This might sound random, but how's your harmonic balancer? I ask, because I'm not sure if it's different on the 1FZ-FE, but on the 1HZ engine it's actually in two parts held together by rubber. The rubber failed on mine a couple of years back, and the first I knew about it was because it stuffed the compressor idle pulley. Car still ran fine, but the balancer was wobbling around putting inconsistent tension on the belts and stuffed the bearings. Bent the fan belt adjustment bracket too. If the 1FZ-FE has a similar arrangement, I'd take a quick peek at your harmonic balancer to see if it's got any movement forwards or backwards.

I used the OEM Toyota 88440-26090 which I bought from Wits' End, Solutions for Problems You Didn't Know You Had - https://absolute-wits-end.com/ Which has been great and took away majority of my belt noise for the past 70k and has been great.

My best guess is that the idler bolt or idler mount may be slightly worn in a way that your bearing is able to side load and wears it much quicker. Check for side movement when you have the belt off. If those are ok then just revert to my first paragraph for the OEM bearing for good measure.

In response to your cover under your belts for a majority of people the OEM cover is not needed but nice to have. However if you’re in mud quite a bit especially good ole Florida mud I would highly recommend it as it prevents water and mud from immediately rushing up into the fan. Look for a used one from the parts pullers for our Land Cruisers as I can’t help yah out with a new.
eBay has the one with your part number Google Image Result for https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/SE8AAOSwuFZcbY2E/s-l300.jpg - https://images.app.goo.gl/ABhiZfggChJVZc5a7.

Last edited:
This might sound random, but how's your harmonic balancer? I ask, because I'm not sure if it's different on the 1FZ-FE, but on the 1HZ engine it's actually in two parts held together by rubber. The rubber failed on mine a couple of years back, and the first I knew about it was because it stuffed the compressor idle pulley. Car still ran fine, but the balancer was wobbling around putting inconsistent tension on the belts and stuffed the bearings. Bent the fan belt adjustment bracket too. If the 1FZ-FE has a similar arrangement, I'd take a quick peek at your harmonic balancer to see if it's got any movement forwards or backwards.
Its a good point. Its tough to tell, it 'looks' ok, seems to run true and rubber looks fine from a visual. Is there any better way to tell it needs replacing?

I'm in Florida so most of my offroading is swamp wet/dry sand and water in general. I am finding that my compressor idle pulley bearing doesn't last long before getting noisy, i would guess I need to change it every 800 miles. I replace with :-

NACHI 4 Pack 6301-2NSE9 Bearing 6301-2NSE Seals 6301-2RS Bearings 6301 RS Japan​

Also I have never had the cover under the engine, not even sure how it looks (I think it is P/N 51441-60190), any opinions on whether adding this cover would be helpful? Does it give good protection?

I have no covers in the wheel wells, but I am not sure they would protect the belt area very much

TIA

You're already using the best bearing (seal type) that you can. Does your idler/tensioner have the dust shield on it?

ac tensioner pulley2.jpg

The lower engine cover you cited is correct. It is held on by 4 bolts. I expect in certain low water crossings it would offer some protection and also help with 'splashing' from puddles, etc.... I keep mine in place. But something seems amiss....unless ALL 800 miles (before replacement) are off-road miles, that just seems crazy they aren't holding up better. Are you certain your source is providing 'genuine' and not 'fake' name brand bearings?

You're already using the best bearing (seal type) that you can. Does your idler/tensioner have the dust shield on it?

View attachment 2652504

The lower engine cover you cited is correct. It is held on by 4 bolts. I expect in certain low water crossings it would offer some protection and also help with 'splashing' from puddles, etc.... I keep mine in place. But something seems amiss....unless ALL 800 miles (before replacement) are off-road miles, that just seems crazy they aren't holding up better. Are you certain your source is providing 'genuine' and not 'fake' name brand bearings?

TIA
Thanks all.

There is a cover on the bearing, and I am not sure if the bearings are knock-offs - bought from Amazon.

I decided to buy an new OEM pulley. When mine is tight, but not tight on the belts, I can feel some play, not sure if it is normal or not. Also found an engine lower cover so will fit that too.

Hopefully it will last longer, of not will need to troubleshoot further

Update. After a very wet, sandy and muddy weekend so far there is no idler noise after fitting that belly pan. Engine does seem to run a little hotter though at highway speeds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom