compressor belt question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was on a road trip yesterday and my compressor belt fell apart.
the belt was changed (they said) by local toyota dealership 2 month ago when they did all the belts.

question 1- is there any reason why a shouldn't run the truck without the belt on the compressor? it seems to run better.

question 2- is there a chance that the compressor has gone bad and seized causing the belt to break? is there a easy check for this?

Question 3- if not the compressor than is there any way i can prove that the dealership didn't change the belt? it is partially still in tack.
has anyone had this happen before? they wouldn't give me the replaced belt for my tool box when i asked 2 months ago. they said they accidentally threw it away.

thanks for the help.

The idler/tensioner pulley bearing may have failed taking out the belt? No issue running without the belt, unless you need A/C.

To test the compressor, run the truck and turn on the AC. CAREFULLY (watching for belts), you can test to see if you can turn the compressor with your hand. It should provide some resistance but you should be able to turn it. If not, I would guess it is seized, but I have not heard of that happening too often.

I would wait for another to confirm if this is the best test - I've never had to do it but I would imagine this would be how you would test - if you do it with the truck off and the AC off, the pulley will spin freely as the magnetic clutch is disengaged.

-Phil

UHHHH...No.

With the motor OFF and the keys in your pocket, try to turn the AC compressor by hand. It is the flat plate on the outside of the pulley It should turn without too much resistance.

With the motor running and the AC OFF, carefully aim your eyeballs at the compressor while your hands remain in your pockets. Have Sam hit the ac button while you watch the belts/pullies. Any abnormalities, have Sam switch off the AC and proceed from there.

OK. Hands in pockets. hot girl samantha looking after the AC switch. insert hands in pockets again. i got it.
AC turns free and smooth. Morristown Toyota NJ dealership might have missed the belt. it is possible that it is from the PO and was done back in 1999. i'll let you know what the happens when i show them the "non-toyota" belt that they supposedly replaced last month. good thing it didn;t take any of the other belts and strand me and the babies in a corn field between here and the motherland (as the banjos play in the background)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom