Completed my first mod! Grant Security System (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I completed the installation of my first mod; a Grant Classic steering wheel with the Grant Security System. I did this because I also pulled my top off and I live in a bad neighborhood. Now I can quickly detatch my steering wheel and take it with me. I'm planning on building somewhere under the hood I can store the wheel then fabricating a hood lock so I don't have to carry it everywhere. I've been using the system for the last fea days and it works great.

There are some disadvantages that I'll probably be able to work out, I just need the time to tear into it again. It was dark while I was finishing up or I would've fixed it.

First, sometimes my left turn signal doesn't work. I'm positive it's in the switch because if I turn the wheel and the lever is in the "on" position it'll work. Sometimes this happens, sometimes it doesn't.

Second, I had to disconnect my horn. At first it wouldn't work. I started it up and drove 10 feet down the street and the thing wouldn't stop. Like I said, it was late and I was tired, so I just disconnected the horn.

I've heard people complain that their signals won't cancel after they install these but mine cancel just like they should.

I'm posting this cause I wanted to give something back to the forum where I ask all my stupid questions. Hope someone finds it useful and/or interesting.

stuff_025.jpg

stuff_026.jpg

stuff_027.jpg

stuff_028.jpg

stuff_029.jpg

hey, Do you know how much the steering wheel lock/ disconnect pushes the steering wheel forward, toward the driver? I am actually looking to get mine closer to the driver since when I did my tilt conversion, I put it kinda far away from the seat.

thanks!
Dustin

In the first picture you can see the plastic, then the "installation kit" as Grant calls it, then the Security System. The installation kit doesn't add any distance I don't think, but the security system adds about 2.5"-3".

The wheel was $60 off eBay, I believe the Security System was $76 off eBay, and the installation kit was $25 from a local parts store.

Switch is hitting the cancel pin....nothing is wrong with your switch if you turn it left, and it starts working.... I would be sceptical of you haveing the adapter piece centered on the column. If it is off center just a bit, it can cause this to happen, even with a stock steering wheel.

Good luck!

Oh, and locks only keep honest people honest.... ;)

-Steve

Please re-size your pics....

Much more informative:

pretty sweet, I would like to see your wheel storage device once you get it fabbed up.

How fast can you get it on and off? Is it like a removable race wheel?

Rezarf <><

Wow! Never heard of such a security system.
I was in the market for a security system but never saw this before.
Worth considering...
Learn something new every day!

whatever happened to the club? i guess we can just take the steering wheel off all together. not a bad idea. im going to have to look into this.

Sorry about the huge pics.

Thanks for the tip Poser, I'll check it out when I go to fix my horn.

It doesn't take me long to get it on and off, maybe 30 seconds? It just twists on and off, longest part is gettin the key in the hole haha.

I asked about the club on here but far too many people said it's extremely simple to just hack through the steering wheel.

I've had mine for about 3 years, and it's a nice safety feature, along with my other anti-theft systems. Removing the steering wheel and installing the cap takes all of about 20 seconds.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom