complete shut off issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just on the way to work today, my 60 just shut off. I still had power but the starter would not catch. Wait about 30-60 second and would start as normal and run as normal. Then about 3-5 minutes later same thing. It would even do going down the road, would not catch if I downshifted. Then would catch and run fine. I have a hellroaring kit that has been installed for over two years with no problem. Could it be coil? Any ideas would be helpfull and appreciated.

sight glass is staying full and filter is only 6 months old and clean. Would the fuel pump intermittentl shut off like that? It almost feels like a cycled shut off. Wouldnt faulty fuel pump come back if I hit the gas?

I'm assuming you're a stock 60 series with a mechanical pump. If your sightglass is full then you most likely are getting plenty of fuel to the carb. I would check all your electrical wiring under the hood. Check connections to the coil/igniter, cap, rotor (pull and inspect) and see if you have any problems. Also if you have any tight wiring and the engine is moving excessively on its mounts it could be creating a break in a wire. Not really all that uncommon if the stock wiring has been repaired and shortened over the years. I'd start simple and check the electrical system first and go from there. Often times it is a simple problem that we all try to turn into a bigger deal.

Good luck.

My money is on electrical issue. Bust out the FSM and check the coil and ignitor along with making sure all your connections at the batteries and your switch are tight. Make sure your grounds are all good. I bet you find a bad ignitor or coil.

Quick way to check your fuel pump is remove the output line and put into a container while you turn over the engine. It should pump a good flow of fuel and not trickle. Also pull the dipstick and smell for raw gasoline. When the diaphragm in the fuel pump fails it allows gas into the oilpan.

Don't overlook the grounds, but I'd concentrate on the connections and assoc. wiring of the fusible links, coil, and ignitor.

had loose main battery ground tightened it and still did- put a voltage regulator to ignition and let it idle- did it again and ignition voltage dropped to 2 and then after a minute back up to normal. Could it be the ignition?

If you clean up your battery terminals/connections with a wire brush and double check your grounds and fusible link you will likely solve your problem.

I think you're on the right track trying to isolate the source of the voltage drop. You might check the gap in the signal generator (under the rotor). it has associated wiring and harness that could be bad too.

X2 on cleaning the battery, I had something like this happen to me. The battery didn't even look corroded.

well the cruiser did what it was supposed too, but the kill switch I installed did not- so cruiser 1, owner 0

well the cruiser did what it was supposed too, but the kill switch I installed did not- so cruiser 1, owner 0

better than my record :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom