Complete paint job or just clear/topcoat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need help guys I'm wondering if I need to complete re-spray or if I can just clear coat over the top of this?
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1412382276.725082.jpg

The rest of the body is good. The paint looks good except on hood and roof. Bit of rust on drivers rear quarter. It looks like the clear is just coming up and these locations. I would love to paint the whole thing but it's just not in the budget right now

You could take the hood off and just get it redone...

...or repair and repaint, for %80 of the looks and %40 of the money...

but, sadly, it never works to 're- clear' a base coat.... well... almost never...

t

When did toyota switch to clear coat paints? I'm pretty sure my 85 doors not have a clear it's original and looks great but a little color comes off with each wax. Sorry for the paint ignorance just thought it is relating to this topic...

When did toyota switch to clear coat paints? I'm pretty sure my 85 doors not have a clear it's original and looks great but a little color comes off with each wax. Sorry for the paint ignorance just thought it is relating to this topic...[/QUOTE

D, I think the solid colors red, blue, tan, white were single stage paints and the metallics-- champage, gun metal grey/midnight blue, warm gray, copper brown and silver were BC/CC. I saw this recently posted up. Both my 10/85 8B4 codes were BC/CC OEM, this '87 Red was single stage..

The 4E8 champagne donor panels were BC/CC off a 87 and the Strong Blue panels off a 86 ( I think) were single stage.

J

Last edited:
J, A good shop could match the hood paint color pretty close, blend it, and shoot new clear. I personally would leave it until you could afford a complete paint job. I've seen the results of a touched up "AGED" BC/CC job gone wrong and it was money down the drain and pure disappointment for the owner.

J

I just did this to my girlfriends hood which looked a lot worse.

If you wet sand all the flakey clearcoat off w/400 grit wet paper and then shoot some matching paint to touch up on the unpainted areas.....you can clearcoat the whole hood and it will be fine. Wet sand the clear with 2000 grit after letting it dry a few days and then wax it and you'd be surprised with results. I used a good UV clearcoat from SEM which lays down fairly thick and I used about 1/2 can on touch up areas where paint was cooked and just came off when sanding off the dried clearcoat(whitish flakes).
The SEM clear and paint was $58.

I did the same to my lexus ls400 hood and and 80 series hood.

Gosh you guys have a ton of good points. I really don't mind it for now but the rest of the body looks great. The hood is a sore thumb...

I just did this to my girlfriends hood which looked a lot worse.

If you wet sand all the flakey clearcoat off w/400 grit wet paper and then shoot some matching paint to touch up on the unpainted areas.....you can clearcoat the whole hood and it will be fine. Wet sand the clear with 2000 grit after letting it dry a few days and then wax it and you'd be surprised with results. I used a good UV clearcoat from SEM which lays down fairly thick and I used about 1/2 can on touch up areas where paint was cooked and just came off when sanding off the dried clearcoat(whitish flakes).
The SEM clear and paint was $58.

I did the same to my lexus ls400 hood and and 80 series hood.

Do you have any before and after pics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom