Complete Noob 3FE Tuning.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Never tuned an engine other than a Sea-Doo or an RC Engine...and I am clueless on how to tune my 3FE. It has developed rough idle and will sputter some after driving hard down winding/hilly roads. I want to smooth things out, and maybe get it in a better sweet spot (been a mountain truck, now it's down here in the Piedmont and doesn't seem to like it) for better power/preformance.

Any pics, hints on tuning this. I am a complete newb to this, I do know how richening and leaning out certian things will affect it, but not what to turn/change/etc to do what I need to do. Does the FSM cover this, if so..I may have to order one. Thanks in advance, and don't laugh too hard...

Get on the phone to C-Dan and order a FSM so you can learn grasshopper. later robbie

I have a 3FE FJ80 and there are really no performance parts for it. As far as tuning it up, I put in the Chevron pure Techron stuff twice. The 20 oz. can. Then new spark plugs and wires. It smoothed the car out a little bit.

Did you buy your FJ80 second hand or are you the original owner?

New plugs, plug wires, use some injector cleaner I reccomend redline.

3rd owner...first owner did good service at his local stealership, 2nd was poor with service but only owned for 8k and 3years. What kind of plugs do you guys reccomend, and wires also.

OEM of course, give cruiserdan a call and he'll hook you up.

As far as simple DIY fixes iI would start witn...

- advancing the timing a bit. Toyota had the base timing on these things very conservative from the factory.

- Anything that you can do to open up the exhaust is good on the 3fe's.

- If you are feeling really adventerous, you can richen up the mix a little bit. The bosch knockoff systems are open loop at idle and WOT. You can loosen the big gear in the airflow meter A COUPLE OF TEETH to richen things up a bit. This should smooth your idle and give you a little more power at WOT.

Good gosh, my CDan order is gonna be large this go around. So, new plugs, new wires, advance timing, richen bosch knockoff big gear (loosen a couple of teeth). Chevron Techron and Redline injector cleaner. Does that have it all summed up or is there more?

Hello...
Being that I just picked up a 3fe, I am going to be doing the same thing...

I know the 2f pretty welll but i am a noob to the 3fe...

I am going to do the following..cap, rotor,plugs,wires,fuel-air-oil filter, adj. valves and vac lines...

Need a little help with the adjusting the valves is it much like the 2f? same numbers? 1,2,3,5,7,9 and 4,6,8,10,11,12???

also for the vac lines what size and how much? I know toyota vac lines are not cheap, but does napa have somthing along those lines?

and lastly how hard is it to pull and clean the injectors? Is there a thread or link that would let me know how?

thanks for all the help....

noobster
-Al

gutting out the cats will add a little better HP and pick up, but not much to write home about.

Jim

Rough idle can be caused by vacuum lines that get hard and brittle with age, they are cheap and easy to fix and replacement line can be purchased just about anywhere. I would start with that mainly because you mention that the truck was used in higher elevations and is now at sea level, so atmospheric/vacuum issues could be more noticeable.

The FSM from CDan is a must; the vacuum diagram is in there.

One thing not mentioned is Injectors, use a cleaner of your choice to do this a couple of time. Pull the throttle body off and clean it up well. On the 3fe I ran for several years I like to run the bosch platinum 4 plugs. Before those I ran the denso or ngk but indexed(alinging the electrodes ground so the spark would be presented to the flame front). With the bosch 4's no need to do this. Bump the base timing 3-6 degrees depending on how your engine likes it. Exhaust stuff helps to a point. later robbie

Get an exhaust dump :D

Open up the exhaust and make her loud too. Just lose a little tourque but get the electric flood gate so you can open and close at the turn of a switch.

powderpig said:
One thing not mentioned is Injectors, use a cleaner of your choice to do this a couple of time. Pull the throttle body off and clean it up well. On the 3fe I ran for several years I like to run the bosch platinum 4 plugs. Before those I ran the denso or ngk but indexed(alinging the electrodes ground so the spark would be presented to the flame front). With the bosch 4's no need to do this. Bump the base timing 3-6 degrees depending on how your engine likes it. Exhaust stuff helps to a point. later robbie

how easy is it too pull and clean them right? injectors that is...thanks

lowtideride said:
how easy is it too pull and clean them right? injectors that is...thanks

I'm thinking the 3fe is like the 1fz when it comes to injectors. I'm not sure you can just pull them and clean them. Try a bottle of redline or seafoam through the gas for the injectors. If that doesn't seem to help you can then remove them and send them out the LCengineering and they will bring them to "better than new" condition.

powderpig said:
One thing not mentioned is Injectors, use a cleaner of your choice to do this a couple of time. Pull the throttle body off and clean it up well.

Great advice :beer:
I remove and clean the throttle body every 2 or 3 years. When we first got the 80 it had bad idle and was sluggish. There was a 1/8 inch of black carbon in the T/B.

I also vote to clean injectors with Redline or your favorite stuff.

A valve adjustment should be done as well.

Good Luck :D

concretejungle said:
I'm thinking the 3fe is like the 1fz when it comes to injectors. I'm not sure you can just pull them and clean them. Try a bottle of redline or seafoam through the gas for the injectors. If that doesn't seem to help you can then remove them and send them out the LCengineering and they will bring them to "better than new" condition.

Run the seafoam before changing spark plugs. You'll want a new set in there after a good seafoam treatment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom