Complete brake replacement, need advice (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

My front brakes started grinding the other day so I took it to the local Toyota dealer to have a look. (Had to go to the dealer because my truck has locking lug nugs and the keyed socket recently broke. I knew they would have the right tool to get them off.) So their assessment was that I needed a total brake replacement--calipers, rotors, pads, etc--both front and rear. Their original estimate with Genuine Toyota parts was $3500 (ha!) but they called again this morning with a quote of $1800 with aftermarket part, which still feels very high to me.

I've worked on brakes a little in the past, doing pad and rotor changes on other non-Toyota vehicles, and my experience was that this wasn't a terribly difficult operation. Never done a caliper replacement but it looks like a basic remove and replace operation. Maybe I'm being naive.

So my questions for the peanut gallery are:
  • Is this a difficult job for a 2-3 banana monkey?
  • Are there existing walk-through threads out there for brake jobs on a 93-94 FZJ80? (Mine's a '94)
  • Any recommendations for where to buy parts? I'm not looking to upgrade really, unless to maybe change to 100-series pads. I don't need high performance off-road specs, just maybe something a little better than OEM.
As you can imagine, there is a bit of a time crunch. I need to let the dealer know in a few hours if they can do the work or not. Tell me I'm making the right choice my trying to do it myself!

Thanks, alll!

I ordered all OEM parts from Cdan and Beno. 100 series rotors and pads on front, standard on the rear. We gravity bled the brakes once everything as switched out and it's been all good. With a few hours of work time and the proper tools, you should be good to go. We followed FSM guidelines and there were no surprises. I'd rather have OEM parts ( my claipers were re-maned but Toyota nonetheless ) and bust my knuckles and take my time learning about the process and the truck than have aftermarket parts and pay someone to work on it - if I am not in a crunch and it's something I feel like I can do. Just my .02

The job is not difficult and is as you say just swapping parts. You can order parts from many vendors here. Also, Napa premium parts are reasonable substitutes for OEM brakes if you don't have time to order and receive the OEM stuff. I would also take the truck to a non dealer and get a second opinion. The dealer is pretty steep and I suspect a non dealer service shop could knock out all of it for under $1000, but I really doubt that all four corners need everything either.

While my Cruiser is my daily driver I do have an extra vehicle so I have luxury of taking my time to do the work myself. But now that the dealer has the brakes apart to diagnose they say it won't go back together as-is, too rusted up and stuck. So I don't really have the option to drive it to another shop for a second opinion unless I want to tow it there and then possibly tow it again to get it home if the second opinion is high as well.

I think I'm already talking myself into doing it myself. My stubbornness, and cheapskate nature, won't permit me to pay good money for anything I know I have the ability to do myself. I just needed some reassurance that I'm not crazy for trying to attempt this.

$1800!?! You could go by a stoptech bbk for that much maybe even brembo. I would suggest doing or getting a rebuild on the calipers(essentially just a bunch of o-rings). And then i personally have had tremendous success with ebc "green stuff" brake pads and either stoptech or dba slotted rotors. You'll notice a major improvement in braking and youll see around oem life span. If you can afford it get zinc coated rotors. For the rotors, pads, and rebuild kit youd probably be in the $350-400 range. While your there take a look at your brake lines and if they look weathered or have bubbled i would suggest upgrading to braided brake lines. As for walk throughs there should be some videos on youtube and im positive there will be on this forum is well, if not you've got tons of people here to help along the way.

You may need to think about remanufactured calipers from oreilies or your preferred parts store if the calipers are to far gone or you just are uncomfortable with tearing them down.

They must be out of their mind for charging $3500!! Genuine front rotors and pads is about $170 or less. You can actually rebuild the calipers yourself, it is not that hard. I did the whole brake job for front and back ( replace new pads and rotors and rebuilt all 4 calipers) , and spent about $450 if my mind serve me right.

Thats insane. I have owned 2 AMG Mercedes and a brake job wouldn't even get near that.

Rotors are about $200 for all 4. Pads about $100 front and rear.

I would question them completely and have a local friendly mechanic look at them also. Why do the calipers need to be replaced?

The dealer seems like they are taking you for a ride with that quote, I would never return to them after that.

Find a friend who knows a little about cars and do it on a weekend together with a case of beer, order parts online or even the local autozone/NAPA.

I think I'm already talking myself into doing it myself. My stubbornness, and cheapskate nature, won't permit me to pay good money for anything I know I have the ability to do myself. I just needed some reassurance that I'm not crazy for trying to attempt this.

Absolutely do it yourself then. You'll save a ton of money and it's mentally rewarding.

$3500 is outrageous. As other's have said, doing it yourself is not hard, it's just a bit of a daunting task to some. Just take your time, follow the FSM and you will be fine.

I question the fact that it can't be reassembled and driven, but I've worked on many cars with crusty, awful brakes and suppose it's possible.

Have them flatbed the truck to your house. They can help with that, and you might offer to split the bill with them.

Best of luck!

brakeperformance.com 2 years and they are as good as new still, I got the 100 series pads for the front.

Do it yourself and service the whole front axle while your in there unless it was recently done. Personally I like the EBC yellow stuff truck pads and a quality rotor. (OEM, DBA, Stoptech)

I don't know how a service writer could quote you $3500 with a straight face. I'd personally never set foot in there again.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'm going to have it towed home (AAA, less than 5 miles, so free!) and start tearing it apart to see what really needs to be replaced. I hadn't thought of reman-ing the calipers myself until a few of you here suggested it, so I may have a go at it. Even it turns out to be more work than it's worth, or they really are too far gone, a quick search of my own shows that factory reman calipers are pretty cheap. If anyone can link to a favorite thread on brake rebuilds though I'd greatly appreciate it.

And the $3500 quote, yeah, I involuntarily laughed out loud when I heard that. I expected to hear something ridiculous but not THAT crazy. I generally have a rule about never going to the dealer since all my cars are out of warranty and I like to try to do things myself when I can. This was the one exception due to locking lug nut situation. Hopefully I won't ever have to go near there again anytime soon.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'm going to have it towed home (AAA, less than 5 miles, so free!) and start tearing it apart to see what really needs to be replaced. I hadn't thought of reman-ing the calipers myself until a few of you here suggested it, so I may have a go at it. Even it turns out to be more work than it's worth, or they really are too far gone, a quick search of my own shows that factory reman calipers are pretty cheap. If anyone can link to a favorite thread on brake rebuilds though I'd greatly appreciate it.

And the $3500 quote, yeah, I involuntarily laughed out loud when I heard that. I expected to hear something ridiculous but not THAT crazy. I generally have a rule about never going to the dealer since all my cars are out of warranty and I like to try to do things myself when I can. This was the one exception due to locking lug nut situation. Hopefully I won't ever have to go near there again anytime soon.

I rebuilt my calipers and the pistons were scored and just ugly..lol I went to NAPA and they take OEM cores and rebuild them. They have been great so far, no issues.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/R...994 50070 2070028 26593 4294876300/Ne-1000000

FYI next time, Sears tool dept and most auto parts stores sell a locking lug nut removal tool for less than $20. Most tire sties like Discount can remove them easily. Often for free.

Beno is the best source for new - I opted not to go reman
Napa and O'reilly had Cardone reman's for about 60% but I fugure the first set of OEM got me thru the first 200k so why mess with what works...

I did do OEM pads but the did Powerstop drilled/ slotted front and rear along with new lines from Slee for all

It isn't like a set of 395mm Mov'it's but it certainly helped me feel okay in traffic.....

My NAPA remans have been in place for over 70K without issue. Personally I would not bother trying to rebuild them yourself unless you enjoy such work. Not a ton of money to save for the risk of having to do it a 2nd time if you mess it up.

Beno/CDan for OEM parts. Lately tire rack.com has been good to me on my aftermarket rotors. Summit Racing for the EBC pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom