Compiled 80 series suspension component spec thread... shocks, coils & more. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah:
TJM Front 50mm- 770FR80C: 21.2”/20.8” free ht. 17mm coil, 10.2 winds
TJM Rear 50mm - 770RR80C: 20.2”/19.8” free ht. 17.4mm coil, 8.8 winds
They are a taller coil with more winds vs. OME medium/heavy which likely means a more supple ride and lower spring rate. Very good on an unladen 80.
Is there an equation to take coil dimensions and determine spring rate? Wish I knew.

TJM Tiger 9 way adj shocks- Front 14.6”/24” 9.4” stroke
Rear 15.15”/24.25” 9.1” stroke
View attachment 1588340
I also have specs on Slee 4” heavy Progressive rears: 20.4”/20.1” free ht. 21.5mm coil, 10.2 winds
(SOFR4HP)
View attachment 1588339
863>770RR80C>864
Awesome, just what I needed.
It's now up in the TJM section.
That bottomed out rear is a perfect pic.
Did you get shock mount specs when you did that?
Isn't 30mm more like 1 3/16"

Last edited:
I’ll have to look at my books if I did check shock mount distance.

1 3/16” is more accurate, yeah.

Last edited:
Sway_Bar_Brackets__52541.1457766737.451.416.png

This is a kit to convert a truck with side frame style rear sway bars to an under frame style.

As requested, I’ve stickied this thread as it’s own thread for more information to be added.

Great info here. I like it that no one is trying to sell anything. :)
I see what you did there! :cheers:

As requested, I’ve stickied this thread as it’s own thread for more information to be added.

Great info here. I like it that no one is trying to sell anything. :)

Wow

Also here’s the rear axle sitting on bumpstops +30mm (1.2”). Notice the coil bucket cushion touching at the same time. Take what you will from it. View attachment 1588359

The cone in the center of the coil acts as an overload or dual rate as well. With final stop being determined by the hard outer axle stop.
It wouldn't be a bad idea to move the center cone down the same as the outer stop.
I've rate tested just the center cone to see what kind of forces it makes, I don't remember the #'s off hand but it was a nice overload, acts as a spring more then a stop

It wouldn't be a bad idea to move the center cone down the same as the outer stop.
I've rate tested just the center cone to see what kind of forces it makes, I don't remember the #'s off hand but it was a nice overload, acts as a spring more then a stop

I used a hole saw to make spacers from a cheap HDPE cutting board to drop my center cones. Been in there 100K.

Hopefully adding something useful this time. First @GW Nugget is right - the color scheme is meant to be:

3BB3225D-E61F-488E-92CF-DBCA0AE6E2DD.jpeg

It’s like adding teenage girl nail polish to toxic sea foam.

Second, the free height of the 4” Flexi rear coils is almost 23” - that spec was missing in the original post. Having seen the rears in person now I have also ordered the fronts.

316F979B-A4AE-4582-BA70-79793496325D.jpeg

DEFB7F9D-80CF-437B-9622-CBB41E356317.jpeg

Consistent with this, Dobinsons does say on Amazon that the 4” Flexi works with the longer 6” lift Dobinsons shock so that should be corrected in the original posts and my ranting can be mod deleted.

98CB541A-3D3D-44D7-8081-20A0A2CA06E9.png

Also, if there is any remaining debate about what is left vs. right side, Dobinsons provides a handy little guide on the box. TLDR: left is left even in Australia.

E29482E6-C3D1-402F-8098-848A55F3ADD5.jpeg

Awesome, thanks.
I updated your info in the original Dobinson post.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nay
@David Otero sir, will you please post up these missing specs for the coils listed below?

2" Flexi
C59-222V
C59-223V
2" Tapered
C97-146VT
C97-147VT
3" Tapered
C97-144VT
C97-145VT

Also is there any HD heavy duty coil sets?

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks.
I updated your info in the original Dobinson post.

I’ll post up about the fronts when they arrive. I’m suspicious that they are only 23” free coil length given the rear coil length.

The rears are about 3” longer than the FOR Gen II dual rate coils they replace, and have two extra inactive winds.

I run a 10” remote reservoir Fox shock that is 26.1” extended plus an upper mount pin to eye adapter, so total effective extended length of about 27.5”. The FOR coils didn’t unseat at full extension, so a typical 12” pin style shock would work easily with these coils as they would comfortably support a 30” total extended shock length. I think they would even work with an eye mount adapter and 12” eye to eye shock, which opens up a ton of shock choices.

They seem excellent spring rate wise with about 200 lbs of rear cargo (spare tire, spares, tools), and I picked up about 1/2” of lift @ ~25” hub to fender (no flares and tape measure wrapped around the tire) but I need to install the fronts to get a full impression and see how all four corners sit.

742DF612-A207-44D7-8376-1A767C3D6908.jpeg
169AD110-B197-462B-B9D1-93B7A7EBCAB2.jpeg

I run a 10” remote reservoir Fox shock that is 26.1” extended plus an upper mount pin to eye adapter, so total effective extended length of about 27.5”. The FOR coils didn’t unseat at full extension, so a typical 12” pin style shock would work easily with these coils as they would comfortably support a 30” total extended shock length. I think they would even work with an eye mount adapter and 12” eye to eye shock, which opens up a ton of shock choices.]

Yes at almost 23" free height it's a seriously tall coil for 4" of lift.
The GS69-685 rear @ 28.74" is the suggested shock for this coil..
That's a lot of "Flexi Flexi" going on.

Yes at almost 23" free height it's a seriously tall coil for 4" of lift.
The GS69-685 rear @ 28.74" is the suggested shock for this coil..
That's a lot of "Flexi Flexi" going on.

Yes, it is. This coil is ironically exactly what I’ve been harping about not being on the market, based on a simple idea that a coil can be lengthened with inactive winds to the extent you want to keep doing it.

There’s a limitation to keeping the shock travel in the sweet spot of the coil flex, though, which is precisely why I use eye adapters to space down travel rather than a proportionate increase in shock length to lift height.

That’s a different set of suspension theory that goes beyond coil specs, but at first blush and drive, with just rears installed, this feels dialed for how I prefer to tune my suspension.

More to come.

Oh, and I hate coil compressors, which I now own for IFS strut work, but you’ll be doing plenty of extra unbolting to avoid them.

E99CCBCD-7730-4393-B684-1611D5F4F97A.jpeg

If you keep adding dead coils you will, at some point, get to a coil bind problem and need to limit bump travel. Also if you are taking the same travel shock and spacing it down you will need to add bump spacer. This is fine if that's the height you want and you are limiting bump to run 37's. However you often get to a point where total travel is the same but now CG is higher.

If I ever go to 37's I will do body work to make them fit and not limit bump travel.

Yes, it is. This coil is ironically exactly what I’ve been harping about not being on the market, based on a simple idea that a coil can be lengthened with inactive winds to the extent you want to keep doing it.

There’s a limitation to keeping the shock travel in the sweet spot of the coil flex, though, which is precisely why I use eye adapters to space down travel rather than a proportionate increase in shock length to lift height.

That’s a different set of suspension theory that goes beyond coil specs, but at first blush and drive, with just rears installed, this feels dialed for how I prefer to tune my suspension.

More to come.

Oh, and I hate coil compressors, which I now own for IFS strut work, but you’ll be doing plenty of extra unbolting to avoid them.

View attachment 1590820
I hate using them too. When I do, I also have ratchet straps that I tighten as I tighten the compressors. That way if the compressor(s) slip off, the straps keep the recoil under control. 2 man job but it's much safer. If the spring comes out without the straps you better hope it goes the opposite direction! That damn thing will kill somebody.

One way to avoid coil compressors is to stick with a short free height coil & have the longer shocks like this funny vid...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom