Comparing wiring kits (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GeoW5

SILVER Star
Threads
I have been looking at what I believe are three different wiring kits: SOR (made for them by who?), one on eBay sold by JoeTLC, and Kwik wire. Has anyone seen or used these and have comments on the quality of the kit and or support received? How about replacement control switches? Thanks for any responses.

I have a mostly stock 67 with some simple upgrades such as a one-wire GM alternator. I chose the SOR one and routed through the glove box. It came out pretty clean. Wiring started to get tricky for me because my 67 had a hazard switch. Long story short, the SOR one is essentially a universal GM harness the runs everything through the column. If I remember correctly Toyota runs through the switch. If I had to do it over again I probably would have asked Coolerman to make me a harness.

SOR harness is a universal kit made by Painless. There are a lot of universal wiring kits and threads about them. Most are pretty similar. Keep in mind, the universal kits are not plug and play with Toyota switches. I have a Centech kit waiting to be installed. I will be using a generic light switch and a GM column.

I don’t have any original Toyota switches, I appear to have an old GM column without a working horn button, no hazard that I can find and lots of hacked wires. Most of the original holes in the dash are painted over. I am kit even sure if the gauges in the cluster work which seems to be the only thing original. As much as I would like to have coolerman make one I can’t wait if I want to get this thing running before the end of the year.

I don’t have any original Toyota switches, I appear to have an old GM column without a working horn button, no hazard that I can find and lots of hacked wires. Most of the original holes in the dash are painted over. I am not even sure if the gauges in the cluster work, which seems to be the only thing original. As much as I would like to have Coolerman make one, I can’t wait if I want to get this thing running before the end of the year.
In your case it would be best to use a generic harness since you already have the GM column and non-Toyota switches. I repeat this often, but it bears repeating again: I work a full time day job. My wiring work is strictly done at night and on the week ends. So yeah I am slow, and always behind... :cool:

thanks coolerman! i wish i could have one your harnesses but we are we are. do you have any recommendations on a particular brand of kit? also my GM column does not have a horn. do you have a solution for that or can you recommend a better steering column replacement?

All these kits are pretty much the same so choose a kit that has enough circuits to do the truck and have a couple of spares for future additions. No need for a 38 circuit kit if you only need 12!

How can a GM column not have a horn? Is it simply missing parts or did it truly never have one?

I know nothing about GM columns so a search of MUD is in your future!

Just confirmed the one I purchased from SOR was a KwikWire. It's pretty solid and would be good for a GM column.

In your case it would be best to use a generic harness since you already have the GM column and non-Toyota switches. I repeat this often, but it bears repeating again: I work a full time day job. My wiring work is strictly done at night and on the week ends. So yeah I am slow, and always behind... :cool:
But you are good!

I just got done rewiring my 64 with a SBC and GM column. I used the American Wire PP13 kit and it worked out very well. I chose this kit because it came with a new GM head light switch and a dimmer switch and all of the included connectors matched my GM column (the hazard switch is in the column and works with the new harness). Basically I removed all Toyota wiring including the horn relay. The only Toyota switch I kept was the Wiper switch. I then made a deal with @Coolerman to take my old switches off my hands.

I'm finishing up on a full frame up build that included a @Coolerman harness. I'm very happy with the results. My only critique would be that he label everything for electrical dummies like me. Some of the wires colors don't match the Haynes diagram I have. (No surprise) SO I'm glad I have close friends that can get me past that last 2 or 3% of what I can't figure out myself. And even though he said he's slow, I'll be ordering another one soon for the next truck so it won't hold me up.

I'm finishing up on a full frame up build that included a @Coolerman harness. I'm very happy with the results. My only critique would be that he label everything for electrical dummies like me. Some of the wires colors don't match the Haynes diagram I have. (No surprise) SO I'm glad I have close friends that can get me past that last 2 or 3% of what I can't figure out myself. And even though he said he's slow, I'll be ordering another one soon for the next truck so it won't hold me up.

Glad to hear!
Labeling a harness is an option when you order a harness. It takes one to two hours to do and I only do it if asked to. I usually include a diagram of the harness layout with every harness I ship out or send you a link. I must have assumed you wouldn't need it! ;)

FYI Schematics from Hayes are sketchy at best. However, even Toyota schematics have wire color mistakes in them! Older truck schematics also suffer from Toyota changing wire colors for a circuit (example early park light circuits used Red/White, but later trucks used Green).

@Coolerman , I guess I should've admitted back then that I'm electrically ignorant. Not incompetent, I just don't know much. I'll be sure to ask for it next time.

(I sent you a PM today too)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom