Comparing Rooftop tent vs. OzTent (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you find yourself having to set it up at home to let it dry?

I live in a small apartment with no outside space for activities, nor garage.

If you get any moisture while out camping then yes you need to let it sit open in a dry area to properly dry out.

Pretty sure I’m Getting an Oztent for the summer season. Gonna be me, my wife and two young kids (5 and 9). Is the rv5 big enough with two cots inside?

I currently have been using a TJM Yulara RTT, but am considering a ground tent. It's been a source of a lot of internal debate, honestly. I do like the RTT's convenience of setup, the fact that it retains storage inside the vehicle, and ability to stow bedding, but the putting the cover on has gotten a bit old (climbing on top to unstick a zipper in the rain, etc). Add to that the annoyance of completely stowing camp to go wheeling for the day, and my girlfriend's annoyance at climbing in the tent with her dog and I am considering giving up on the "coolness" factor of the RTT. So far I can only conclude that there is no perfect solution with no drawbacks. Well, scratch that, I guess a trailer with the tent attached would be the solution, but that is a no -go with my street parking in the city.

Nice review! We are swinging the other way. We had ground tents, then RTT on trailer plus a ground tent... but after setting up ground tent, then having to unpack it when get home bc of rain/condensation, the air mattress, etc.... we are going with an additional RTT on the truck. The last straw was camping and I put the trailer RTT down because of coming weather... we had to leave the camp and when we came back ground tent had inches of water in it from runoff. RTT's suck installing on top of truck, I've streamlined it a bit with load bars that stay attached to tent, but still need a hand to get it on or off. RTTs definitely win for opening up and drying them out when you get home. I dismissed the OZ tent when I saw how long it is and would have to ride on the roof anyway.

Tent on a little trailer is really the best combo. I built up a little Lowe's 3.5x5' trailer and it does fine for what we do...

IMG_0137.JPG

Last edited:
I’ll add to my last comment,

A big deciding factor for the Oz tent choice over a RTT was the flexibility of the tent. I have several vehicles so it would have been a major limiting factor as to what vehicle to take if I only had a RTT that had to be unbolted from one vehicle and moved and bolt to another vehicle. The OZ is long and requires a roof rack but the portability and flexibility is what ultimately sold me.

Pretty sure I’m Getting an Oztent for the summer season. Gonna be me, my wife and two young kids (5 and 9). Is the rv5 big enough with two cots inside?

I have an RV-5 and a family of four (plus a dog). I have two cots I set up along the edge and use a full size air mattress in the middle. During the day we deflate the air mattress and put it under the cots to give plenty of room in the tent. Cots are also nice for storage underneath of other items. Even with the air mattress inflated there is still decent room at the front of the tent. I plan to buy the additional pieces to turn the awning area into an additional room for trips where we camp in the same spot for multiple days.

Love the tent and there is enough room for us.

78820C48-0797-4973-A2F1-99F6629C393D.jpeg

Just an update. One of the reasons I bought the OZtent was it fit perfectly under the Canopy of my Camper. Due to the size issue and the Jet tent being smaller in pack weight, I sold the Oztent and got a Jet tent. The Oztent is awesome, but packing is a pain and I didn't want to put it on the rack without a case (Thule) as I like to keep my stuff out of the weather when you can. haven't tried the Jet tent, but it sets up and packs up pretty quickly
Old post, but where did you get your Jet Tent? The RV-5 looks like an amazing tent, but the packed size is crazy. Jet tent seems like a great compromise just can't seem to find any online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom