Companion flange stake nut not coming loose (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've started tearing down my transfer case and I'm stuck already. I'm trying to get the companion flanges off, but the stake nuts aren't budging. I'm pretty sure I have them unstaked all the way, but take a look at these pics..... The third one shows it looks like they might have been staked away from the slots as well..... Fourth pic shows my work around for not having sst 09330-00020. Also wondering how to measure the preload.... The manual shows what looks like a small torque wrench.... Any suggestions are once again greatly appreciated.
IMG_20190908_125914.jpg
IMG_20190908_125941.jpg
IMG_20190908_130010.jpg
IMG_20190908_130048.jpg
IMG_20190908_130738.jpg

The previous person got overly enthusiastic with staking. That's not original. Those nuts aren't that robust. Try not to mess up the male threads, but crank that sucker off with a 6 point socket and breaker bar. Be careful not to cam the socket off the hex of the nut and round off the corners.

The previous person got overly enthusiastic with staking. That's not original. Those nuts aren't that robust. Try not to mess up the male threads, but crank that sucker off with a 6 point socket and breaker bar. Be careful not to cam the socket off the hex of the nut and round off the corners.
I'm already trying to use a breaker bar and still nothing. Haha. Not sure what else to try....

The more I look at the nuts the more I think they were staked into the threads as well as the slots. I hit them with a torch and tried the breaker bar again but still nothing. Is the transfer case toast if I can't get these nuts off without ruining the threads? Really disheartening getting stuck this early in the process....

air impact or even the newer 1/2" battery impacts will take that off.

It's prolly Red-Loctite'd on cuz they re-used that nut. B!tch to get off with hand tools when that's the case. Torch it or get an impact.

It's prolly Red-Loctite'd on cuz they re-used that nut. B!tch to get off with hand tools when that's the case. Torch it or get an impact.
I've got an impact but it's one of the compact ones from harbor freight. Don't think it's got enough power to move it. Manual says 550 max torque. I'm betting I need one of the 900+ models. You think the staking I'm seeing over the threads is from where it was staked previously? That would make sense..... I've already hit the nut with a torch and tried to get the nut off with the breaker bar but still no luck.

Big breaker bar or an impact just like others have said. Have you doused it in PB Blaster/WD-40/etc? May not help if they used locktite but worth trying.

If it's an air impact crank the pressure up to 120. Torch needs to heat up enough to see some smoke. Try lifting that dimple that's over the threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom