1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Community Service......

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by LabRat11, Aug 10, 2005.

1. LabRat11

LabRat11

My 14yo :princess: had her first run in with the law. (Don't ask - wont be giving any details...) For her lack of common sense she received 20 hours of community service. Wife and I want it to be a most memorable 20 hours if you know what I mean. Thought about picking up trash on the side of the road - but don't like the thought of the 14yo :princess: walking along the the side of the road.

Suggestions??

2. thorvald

thorvald .......

Media:
    Albums:
    cleaning out poop at the dog pound?

3. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

clean the bathrooms at her school....and let her friends see her...

:doh:

4. Jman

Jman

Well, the "runaway bride" had to mow some lawns recently. Very visible, less likely to get run over, although still an element of danger.

Yeah, cleaning bathrooms might work, too--good idea.

Another idea, rather than look at the completely punitive types of service, why not something rewarding? Outreach with the elderly? Or maybe something that fits the crime? If she vandalized a park structure, how about cleaning up the park or planting trees?

5. bull

bull

Media:
    Albums:
    I was just about suggest helping the elderly

6. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    I did 240 hours of community service many years ago.......most of it I spent fishing off the dock at the church ;)

I also spent 20 days cleaning up crap on the side of the road.....I think this is a good choice for her IMOP

7. loeky

loeky

have her clean out the puke from people who lose it in the back of police cars.

no, i never had to do it myself, but thought it would make someome remember not to screw around.

8. gorister

gorister

I think one of the most rewarding community service ideas would be volunteering at the humane society.

9. LabRat11

LabRat11

Perhaps something like this.....
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/EDUCATION/07/27/vomit.battery.ap/index.html

Thanks for the ideas so far - keep them coming. We are looking for something in the punitive arena but without the element of danger. Thus the road side cleanup and lawn mowing are likely out. We want this to be something that will hopefully deter her from worse acts of stupidity in the future.

10. loeky

loeky

yep, that would be the same idea. except, i came to know about it due to a friend who accidently shot someone with a bb gun and the judge made him do that in my home town. he still talks about it to this day - it had the gross factor without really making.

good luck with your decision.

11. NJFJ40

NJFJ40

I third the suggestion on working with shut-ins and/or the ederly. They really appreciate the attention and it helps foster service and also a healthy respect for their unique place in life (they are young with their whole lives ahead of them - too early to start fawking things up).

My kids have been helping deliver meals-on-wheels as volunteers (with me and my wife ofcourse) since they were 2 yrs old. Very good experience overall.

AndrewT

12. Jman

Jman

I'm going to chime in a second time. I'm all for reinforcing the idea that she should learn to be a part of the community, not to fight against it. That was a concept that I was deprived as a teen, and I think it was a bad experience. Something that is an eye-opening experience might be better than something that is viewed simply as a punishment.

13. FLFJ40

FLFJ40

Maybe a combination of both, make her community service a punishment, something not fun at all. I like the police cruiser cleaning idea, maybe she can wash and wax them also. After her community service is done you should encourage her to volunteer. I think helping the elderly is a great idea, but it should not be a punishment. If this doesn't straighten her out, take her on a tour of a state penetentery (sp?), scared the crap out of me.

14. OZCAL

OZCAL

My entire high school class did mandatory volunteer work at the local Veterans Administration hospital. An eye opener, regarding both the bureaucracy and the Veterans themselves.

14 might be a bit young for that environment though.

15. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

We have plenty of volunteer positions at the hospital. (We medical and nursing students are "strongly urged" to volunteer at least some time there ourselves)

Reading to terminally ill children and playing with them might teach her to value the good life you (and your diety of choice, or chance if you're not religiously inclined) have given her, and it will help her to feel good about herself, and the kids love it. It's one part of the day when they aren't nauseated by chemo, getting stuck with needles or whatever.

Steve

16. Jan-78FJ40

Jan-78FJ40

I don't think something extremely emberrassing, like the school toilets, or something extremely gross, like the police cruiser vomit thing, are the best idea. If she gets angry, it will just lead to more revolts down the road.
    Something that is constructive, like work with elderly or the humane society are a lot better. Basically a job where she will be appreciated for.

17. Hossdog

Hossdog

Agree with that whole thought process. You should do something that makes you think twice about getting community service again. Hanging with the elderly is something you may want to consider as a Father-Daughter outing once every couple months, they love to play cards and to tell stories from back in the day! When I was younger Id hang with my Grandpa and play cards at the rest home he was at, helped me to realize that they actually ARE people too and have been through things I never have or will. It would be as good for you as it is for them, guaranteed!! :idea:

18. HawkDriver

HawkDriver

Media:
    Albums:
    That's wierd, I did 200 or so when I was about 16. But we didn't have the choice of what to do. The court just set us up with the juvenile detention guy and we rode around in an astro van and trailer for 2 months. We cleaned up all kinds of stinky ass s***. Planted trees in parks, and did alot of landscaping. It wasn't too bad. If you have an option let her do some of that.

19. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

doesn't being mandatory eliminate it being volunteer work???

20. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

Mowing lawns is a danger????

WTF?

no offense, but overprotectiveness is bad mkay