Common weak point? - Suggestions for best repair method? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
danspassionforcars.blogspot.com
Been having a lot of fun exploring our 1997 LC and making some changes that the previous owner had made now that the car passed California smog and has been registered. Put in both the oem cupholder and the 3d printing cup holder, so we're all set there. Had the oem wheels refinished to original color and powder coated and they look brand new - amazing (previous owner had painted them black). Been literally drenching the front seats in leatherique trying to get them to soften even a little, they're like cardboard. They look pretty good, but would be nice if they were a bit more comfortable. Got one of the 3rd row seatbelts repaired (new webbing). Put in an Alpine Apple Carplay double din deck with backup camera and remote lock/unlock. The trailer hitch is pretty rusted out, so have a new one on order and researching the best carriers for a Vespa scooter. Have a new front grille on order because the previous owner blacked that out too and when I took out the old one, noticed the a couple of the brackets holding on the passenger side headlight assembly are broken. See pictures. Needless to replace the whole headlight assembly, so curious if anyone has seen this before and if so, suggestion on best repair method? I could probably just mock up some custom brackets to go over the mounting points, but if I don't have to make something from scratch, would rather not.
IMG_8601.jpg
IMG_8599.jpg
IMG_8598.jpg

Umm ... no, they aren't typically considered a weak point. Guessing that's a result of previous damage event.
Did you notice if the brackets were cracked/broken when you bought it?

Clean and super glue. But be sure that assy isn't being pushed, pulled, or moved around by parts bolted to it - cross member, grill, lower fascia, etc.

I used thin gauge sheet metal cut to fit tge area. Drilled holes and pop riveted the sheet metal in place. Has been holding fir over a decade like that.

I used thin gauge sheet metal cut to fit tge area. Drilled holes and pop riveted the sheet metal in place. Has been holding fir over a decade like that.
Thanks! That was kind of what I was thinking of doing as well.

@Kernal just shut up and take my money. That made me smile and say @yes” out loud.

@Kernal just shut up and take my money. That made me smile and say @yes” out loud.
Hilarious. Yes, I've never seen anything like that before. I went to my "go to" before I try anything else and put down some jb weld. I don't have a lot of hope that will hold, but if anything will, it will. Already bought a sheet of aluminum to fabricate a bracket if needed.

Black JB Weld Plastic Weld.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom