Common rust areas - Is there hope for a LC100 purchase in the midwest? (1 Viewer)

sorry its night out now will take pics tomorrow and post to me its looks bad but all I can say is that I got it Oct 2005 and all I can complain about is a rust tail gate; I'm happy hey by the way my 2006 LX470 is worth more by KBB then my wife 2013 X5 lol. she wants a new car :(

IMG_4343-2.JPG
ok ran out real quick but its night

When I lived in Milwaukee we would fly down to the south and buy our cars from there and drive them back. I had buddy that had a flatbed and we would use that to go pick them up too.

Just a friendly tip, even because it's down here make sure before you decide to fly down to check the carfax to see where it spent its life. A lot of dealers here will buy cars from NY/NJ because they are cheaper and try to sell them here at a good markup. It really irritates me they even do that but that's life. I've looked at several lc/lx's here and I'd say a little more then half of them have been up north most of their life. I live in NC now.

I spend a lot $$ each week when weather permits in winter, at car wash with flexible wand. Like the flexible wand to get underneath and in the wheel wells. Yet I found this rust in rear wheel well:
9-23-15 rust (3).JPG

Hey gang, the search is over. Finally found a nice 2005 that is mostly rust-free. Couple little spots here and there in the upper tail gate at the license plate lights but I'll hit those with some POR15 soon enough. I looked at 5 different series 100's total, and almost bought a 200 series (the difference being downpayment vs. buying a 100 flat out). Love the 200's but a paid-for 100 sure feels great. The 200s after 7 or so winters had pretty rusty undercarriages but great body rustproofing vs. the 100 from what I saw. The 100s I looked at were all over the board with regard to rust. The worst one was that 06. I also looked at a 99, 01, and 04 all with wildly varying rust quotient.

Hey gang, the search is over. Finally found a nice 2005 that is mostly rust-free. Couple little spots here and there in the upper tail gate at the license plate lights but I'll hit those with some POR15 soon enough. I looked at 5 different series 100's total, and almost bought a 200 series (the difference being downpayment vs. buying a 100 flat out). Love the 200's but a paid-for 100 sure feels great. The 200s after 7 or so winters had pretty rusty undercarriages but great body rustproofing vs. the 100 from what I saw. The 100s I looked at were all over the board with regard to rust. The worst one was that 06. I also looked at a 99, 01, and 04 all with wildly varying rust quotient.

Congrats! '05 is definitely the best year to buy as it's the fastest, most dependable, best looking 100 series ;) Of course, pics must be supplied :)

I purchased a 2000 lx470 in Feb of this year. From my research it was a two owner from WI and SD. It has undercarriage surface rust. Only rust on the body is on the upper tailgate, around the license plate lights and there is a bubble under the paint on the lower tailgate near the lower tailgate handle... not too bad I guess...
Any idea how to remove that chrome molding around the license plate? Mine is rusty around there and I need to figure out how to remove the molding to get at it with a grinder/bondo/paint. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom