Coming up with a bumper idea is hard.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sogncab

SILVER Star
Threads
I made a parametric program to cut parts on the cnc so I can cheaply play with some bumper ideas out of 1/4 panel material, before having somebody weld something up for me.

Round 1:

-Way too tall. It's currently 6" tall I'm thinking 5" might be too tall as well.
-I think the ends need to swept up on the bottom edge at the ends. Make that go up 1" or so.
-I dig the kink in the middle. That's currently 45 degrees, I think it could be softened a bit, to more like 30 degrees.
-I like the idea of adding a small prerunner bar to the top as well. Not huge though.

It needs to slide back probably another 2" It's just sitting on the orginal bumper at the moment.

The plan is to add a couple of spots to mount shackles. Also add some small square flood lights recessed flush with the face.

I wouldn't call it a total fail, but it's not a winner yet. Thoughts?

20210506_172305.jpg

20210506_172310.jpg

Nice work, but kinda big and long and square. Get creative with angles and don’t forget a winch mount accommodation.

I'd consider a tank-design. Two round tubes, with an internal connection. If you weld up an internal shape, then you might be able to carry a large volume of air at about 40psi. You could just carry gasoline, but pressurized air might just stoke the camp fire, or dry the dishes?

A might busy for me. Maybe tone or sleek down the same theme?
Bumper 02.jpg

Do you plan on adding a winch to your bumper?

My thought is that very good looking LC, in that great color, with that wonderful patina, should have absolutely nothing else gracing the front of it but this....

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 8.34.55 AM.png

old style ARB bull bar is my favorite IMO. the base looks like the original so it maintains the factory look but it also makes it look more rugged

DEE4B005-31F9-4836-9133-00755F8339F4.jpeg

23D4CEC7-7D5C-4179-9FDB-82039B6C00C3.jpeg

8B8735EE-DAFA-46FC-AF26-99F808E5C777.jpeg

Do you plan on adding a winch to your bumper?
If I do, it would probably be a receiver mount, main reason being so I could shove it in back as well. I don't really see adding a winch though.
The off-road use this will see with me owning it, will be very tame.

The body doesn't need much repair, but I do want to strip and repaint everything. The green is going away when that happens. I'm pretty set on Pollux Orange, and along with doing my best to protect it from tin worm.

If I do, it would probably be a receiver mount, main reason being so I could shove it in back as well. I don't really see adding a winch though.
The off-road use this will see with me owning it, will be very tame.

The body doesn't need much repair, but I do want to strip and repaint everything. The green is going away when that happens. I'm pretty set on Pollux Orange, and along with doing my best to protect it from tin worm.
What a shame, that thing was a survivor man! Pollux orange is a GREAT color but sell this one to someone who can appreciate it and buy an orange one.

What a shame, that thing was a survivor man! Pollux orange is a GREAT color but sell this one to someone who can appreciate it and buy an orange one.
I just don't have the funds to start from a pile of dust and build what I want.

Round 2

-I suck at trig
I can't wrap my head around how to get the correct lengths for the parts to make the outside edges go up a little bit. It'd be easier just to just run that edge against the edge sander and grind it off to get what I want. I can make it work obviously in 2D, but not past that. I need to sleep on it, I'll figure it out.

-Looks much more in scale. That's 4.5" tall, I might bump that up a freckle, but depends on the gauge of the steel going into it. I think that'll be the driving factor, not having to modify the bracket riveted to the frame.

- I narrowed it overall 2", might go another two. It's currently 56" wide. Where I'd like to see some flood lights is going to start getting kinda small though if I go narrower..

-Top face was 4" wide, it's now 3". Seems about right?

As to buying a bumper. I get that, I might still. It's fun doing stupid stuff like this though. I build cabinets for a living. Even if this is a complete fail in the end, It gave me a chance to think about things in ways I normally wouldn't. If I can get that trig to work correctly, I'll be a happy camper.

20210507_134531.jpg

20210507_143213.jpg

20210507_143219.jpg

the whole zig zag thing doesnt look right on a 40 series.
I disagree, I have to see pictures of the whole truck with the bumper on to have a verdict on it

The beautiful thing about our Cruisers is that we can do what we like with them. Sure there are the naysayers, but ignore them. It’s your rig, your money, and your vision. Paint it neon pink if you want. If you’re happy, I’m happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom