Coming soon to a 45 near you... it's so GIFU (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thecrazygreek

A.K.A. TheCraftyGreek
Threads
More details to follow...

20210613_224506.jpg

Outstanding. I could use an extra set.

Thanks to @scoobiedubes... (does everyone else automatically have Scobey Dooby's voice in their head when they see that name? :) )
For the original mat to work from.

Besides making a master mold, I have also entered all the detail into my CAD program which will allow me to create variations of the original if people wanted. (size, custom LOGO or name, etc) One thing about the mold is that it captures EVERY detail. Including the minor blems.

The plan right now is to create them as copies to OEM with one important upgrade, which is to re-enforce the mounting holes with embedded stainless steel grommets. That should prevent any premature tearing in that critical area. Also, I'm fairly certain I will be able to offer them with various stiffness levels.

I noticed the factory ones are fairly flimsy. So that's something I will definitely like some feedback on.

I should have the prototypes ready by this weekend if the Rubber arrives as scheduled.

Don't forget @xtremeVA!!
Thanks! I sat there trying to think of everyone with an LV and I knew I missed several. Tag away - I figured a lot of folks would be excited to have a chance to get these again. Many thanks to Angelo @thecrazygreek for taking the project on!

My render of the flap...
Still need to tweak the font. Anyone know if this font is out there?

33032C68-1D17-4A30-A242-DB1877542A49.png

Ok folks...

The first couple are hot off the press!

Some minor flaws but fixable. These are 50% thicker than the master that was provided and a bit heavier. Perfect in my opinion! Now I need to figure out the grommet reinforcement or just offer as is and let the buyer add them..

I do have two additional rubbers coming in tomorrow that I will test out. So it may get even better!! 😀

View attachment 2705915
20210616_204226.jpg
20210616_204152.jpg

Last edited:
Dang those look cool! Nice work!! Always thought these mud flaps are one of the coolest things on an LV. Only place where it says Gifu! The FJ28 will definitely have a set too.

IMO the grommets are a good idea to keep these lasting longer than the originals. But they’re also fairly easy to add after the fact if you can’t find a way to integrate them into the mold. Could they be integrated kind of the same way the pre-threaded inserts are done?

The reproduction ones kinda squish out at the mounting holes so grommet is a good idea. Hadn't even thought of that.

I am happy to report after trying 5 different rubber compounds, I have settled on one that is just perfect for this project!

It's nice and stiff, (not too stiff) super durable and should take a beating very well. It's used in factory machinery like conveyer belts and Industrial sorting machines etc... The blackness is on point as well. No sdded dyes in this one. Pics soon..

I am definitely in for a few sets. Great work!

Quick update on these flaps.

I think I am going to add the reinforcement grommets externally.
I can get them in black and oval shaped, so it should look great. Just waiting on them to show up from Amazon.

Price breakdown will be $99.00 for one pair shipped.
‘If you buy two pair you get 50% off the second set, so $150.00 for all four corners.

I will be creating a new posting in the classified section as soon as I have several sets complete.
If you want to reserve a set now, please PM me so I can get you in line. There have been several people who have already got in line. No payment is needed to reserve a set.

Thank you for all of your inquiries...
I’m hoping I can start shipping by the end of the week!

Well it looks like the oval grommets won't be here until Jul 2.

So a bit of a delay.

If you don't care, I can make sets with standard washer semi hidden in the rubber. Only issue is, I can't guarantee they will be 100% hidden, maybe slight bump ect.
But if you're good with that, I can get those put together...

Pm me if you want washer version, if I don't hear from you, I'll assume you are waiting for the grommet version.

Thanks everyone!

Just to let you know, I have been experimenting and trying various ways of adding the grommets. I think I will end up having them inside the rubber. At least for now.

Btw... heres a pile of flaps representing my "ideas" along the way... :)

20210619_173635.jpg

They all have this oily residue on them. It does wipe off, but I think it has to do with the rubber as it goes through the curing process. Seems to stop after a few days.

20210701_225116.jpg

Update:

I have not forgotten the FLAPS!! :)

But it has been a bit of a pain to add the grommets. What I thought would be a easy breezy upgrade has turned out to be a struggle.

There are several issues, but the primary one is the thickness of the rubber. I have not found a grommet in the correct size that can penetrate all the way through and fasten correctly. These grommets are designed for fabric materials, even leather. But they are not even close to reaching all the way through. I have purchased 6 different grommet styles and none work.

So, with that in mind, I tried embedding the grommets into the rubber. That sorta works, but aesthetically I don't like it at all. Sometimes you can see the edges, sometimes you get a hump or lump, sometimes they move a bit as you poor the rubber. (see above images) I tried grommets, washers, and even slices of brass tube (for thinness) and they all failed the looks test.

So far I have made about 30 Mud Flaps that don't pass my test.

So, I am making one final attempt. I am going to a local tent and awning company here in Salem that's been around forever. They are old school, and I hope they have an option that works. If not, I think I will just have to offer these with no grommets, OR add the grommets (imbedded) with the understanding that they will have some cosmetic issues.

I have been told by a couple mudders, that you can't even see where the flaps attach anyway so it doesn't really matter... Is this TRUE?

If so, I won't feel so bad about the grommet issue and get some of these up for sale.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to keep everyone in the loop.
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom