COMING BACK TO THE FOLD!! Maybe... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lka1988

Beating the Highlander
Threads
After selling my 80 back in 2012, I could never really get over the fact that I no longer owned a Land Cruiser. My fiancée and I have a paid-off 2015 Highlander Limited, on which we could realistically get almost $20k for trade-in, and I've been seriously contemplating on getting a 100-series (Land Cruiser or Lexus, not picky). As much as I love the 80, by god they're hard to find at a decent price, much less in family-friendly condition. We have 5 kids together and will be utilizing the third row. However, with two kids still in car seats and one in a booster, it's gonna be tricky to get kids back there.

Any tips? What to look at specifically before purchasing? The 80s have their birfs and inner axle seals, and I know the 98-99 100s have the weak front diff... What else should I look for? This will be mainly an on-road vehicle and family hauler, with occasional trips up to the trail system in American Fork Canyon. We have a minivan for main family hauling duties as well, and my Honda scooter for commuting during warm months.

I believe the earlier years do not have readily available car seat attachment so that may be something pushing you to later years. I believe some have discussed how these could be added, but I am not an expert on this.

I believe the earlier years do not have readily available car seat attachment so that may be something pushing you to later years. I believe some have discussed how these could be added, but I am not an expert on this.

Pretty sure that was 2002-up, but I don't remember off the top of my head. Not super concerned with that though, honestly. One of our carseats has a locking mechanism that can handle seatbelt-style securing with ease, and the other one isn't much harder to deal with.

After selling my 80 back in 2012, I could never really get over the fact that I no longer owned a Land Cruiser. My fiancée and I have a paid-off 2015 Highlander Limited, on which we could realistically get almost $20k for trade-in, and I've been seriously contemplating on getting a 100-series (Land Cruiser or Lexus, not picky). As much as I love the 80, by god they're hard to find at a decent price, much less in family-friendly condition. We have 5 kids together and will be utilizing the third row. However, with two kids still in car seats and one in a booster, it's gonna be tricky to get kids back there.

Any tips? What to look at specifically before purchasing? The 80s have their birfs and inner axle seals, and I know the 98-99 100s have the weak front diff... What else should I look for? This will be mainly an on-road vehicle and family hauler, with occasional trips up to the trail system in American Fork Canyon. We have a minivan for main family hauling duties as well, and my Honda scooter for commuting during warm months.

I'd help check for car seat brackets in my 02 but I have a sleeper platform and carpet covering everything up. You could probably fold up one of the third row seats (( or remove it ) and load the kiddos through the tailgate for easy third row access.

I do own a 2006 highlander and the 02 cruiser so I can help you compare. They are obviously two totally different beast. If you don't care about higher fuel and maintenance costs then the cruiser is a no brainer. It's a war wagon that will keep chugging for many many years BUT that comes at a much higher expense than the highlander. Most of these trucks are rounding 200k so unless it comes with a stack of service history you will have to start chipping away at it all.

Day to day comparison. The cruiser is obviously much slower and not as nimble. To be honest my highlander is WAY better in the hard packed snowy ice roads around here. I can rip it around where the cruiser is more top heavy and tends to slip ( both vehicle have studded snow tires ) Deep snow, the cruiser wins until it bottoms out and beaches itself.

The cruiser is a special vehicle. There is just something about it that demands perfection and upkeep. It wants to live forever. The highlander I just beat the piss out of and it seems to keep going.

As far as what to look for, same s*** as any other vehicle. Lookout for leaks, creaks, cracked hoses, dry rotted stuff. Ignore the interior and the paint, that isn't effecting anything. Pop the hood and crawl underneath. If you're lucky you could drop the skid plate and pop the engine cover to really get a close inspection. The big killer? Rust. If it's falling apart just walk away.
>> Oh, I wouldn't say they have a weak front diff. They have stupid operators who beat the piss out of them and think they can rock crawl like jeeps. These are touring vehicles meant to get you to and from anywhere. Not rock crawlers.

The ultimate solution? You need both. Keep saving up, keep the highlander, and get the cruiser for weekend adventures.

Last edited:
I'd help check for car seat brackets in my 02 but I have a sleeper platform and carpet covering everything up. I do own a 2006 highlander and the 02 cruiser so I can help you compare. They are obviously two totally different beast.
I'm not super concerned with whether it has a LATCH system or not, honestly. I can wrangle a carseat with a seatbelt.

If you don't care about higher fuel and maintenance costs then the cruiser is a no brainer. It's a war wagon that will keep chugging but at a decent expense of all the maintenance needed as most of these trucks are rounding 200k. It is much slower, not as nimble, and to be honest my highlander is WAY better in the hard packed snowy ice roads around here. Deep snow, the cruiser wins.
Trust me, I'm very familiar with how tank-like the Land Cruiser is. I used to own a 1991 80 that I beat the ever-loving s*** out of, and I only really ever did maintenance and some minor repairs (I had "rig of the week" in the 80 section like 13 years ago). I'm very much a DIYer, but fuel costs are definitely something that's been in the back of my mind. You're not wrong about the Highlander being a great snow vehicle though, I can attest to that as well.

As far as what to look for, same s*** as any other vehicle. Ignore the interior and the paint. Pop the hood and crawl underneath. If you're lucky you could drop the skid plate and pop the engine cover to really get a close inspection. The big killer? Rust. If it's falling apart just walk away.
Oh for sure. Rust for me is an instant dealbreaker. I had a third gen Camry fall apart due to rust several years ago, never doing that again. Fantastic little car otherwise though, never had any issues that weren't due to rust.

The ultimate solution? You need both. Keep saving up, keep the highlander, and get the cruiser for weekend adventures.
We've already got a Sienna that handles family duties. The Highlander, while it has 7 seats, is incredibly cramped when 2 carseats and a booster are involved 😅

I'm not super concerned with whether it has a LATCH system or not, honestly. I can wrangle a carseat with a seatbelt.

Trust me, I'm very familiar with how tank-like the Land Cruiser is. I used to own a 1991 80 that I beat the ever-loving s*** out of, and I only really ever did maintenance and some minor repairs (I had "rig of the week" in the 80 section like 13 years ago). I'm very much a DIYer, but fuel costs are definitely something that's been in the back of my mind. You're not wrong about the Highlander being a great snow vehicle though, I can attest to that as well.

Oh for sure. Rust for me is an instant dealbreaker. I had a third gen Camry fall apart due to rust several years ago, never doing that again. Fantastic little car otherwise though, never had any issues that weren't due to rust.

We've already got a Sienna that handles family duties. The Highlander, while it has 7 seats, is incredibly cramped when 2 carseats and a booster are involved 😅
Yep all of that sounds about right. Contrary to what some may say, the 100 series can't take the beating like the 80 could. I mean it could, but it seems to want a bit more finesse. That's just my opinion. A lot more moving parts up in the front end and limited travel are a factor.

Based on what you're saying the 100 probably wouldn't be an off road beater but more of a, go anywhere and don't get stuck type of rig. With a decent set of tires the 100 series in it's stock form has taken me to some pretty crazy places. Over the years I have added a bunch of stuff but the reality is it was super capable as a stock rig. I weigh in at 7k lbs now, fully loaded, and kind of think WTF am I doing lol.

I think it will all boil down to higher fuel costs and the potential for needed repairs that add up. Seals, rubbers, and stuff just gets old and needs attention if you want it to go the distance, that goes for every vehicle.... I'd rather spend more up front for a better maintained rig rather then gearing up for a s*** load of repairs. Find a previous owner who cared about the rig and kept up with stuff. The market is kind of funny right now, you'll need to weed out the jokers VS the real 100 series guys.

Having been burned, I recommend carefully checking not just for body rust around the wheelwells but also frame rot. I bought a 2001 remotely based on photos that all looked great, and the body was great, but the frame was a disaster. Ended up giving it away to be stripped for parts after taking the interior out for another 100.

I personally think the 100 is a much better choice for a family chariot.
1686083594626.png

1686083670489.png

That extra couple of inches width make a lot of difference and the whole interior is just a lot more comfortable than the 80 (which I also love).

And then there is the supportability. The 100 seems to have much better parts availability especially via mainstream parts suppliers, like you would have to use on a trip when something comes up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom