Coming around again for the third time- Romers new 1977 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
We all keep things as mementos and I found one of my favorite possessions, the tool bag from my original 74 Land Cruiser that I have had for 34 years. I kept it in my last 77, and now it will go in my new one
Tool Bag.JPG

1Fine40

Rust Buster
Nice buy! If you pursue the OEM soft top, I may be interested in snatching your current ragtop from you...I'm really not wanting to fix my hard top, and since it is off....well, the time may be right..

PM me if this is something you would like to discuss offlist!

Cheers!

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Nice buy! If you pursue the OEM soft top, I may be interested in snatching your current ragtop from you...I'm really not wanting to fix my hard top, and since it is off....well, the time may be right..

PM me if this is something you would like to discuss offlist!

Cheers!

Will do, I may need parts from it to make the OEM top work. I am looking at Trollholes new design with no straps, but has magnets. The magnets won't stick to my Aqua tub, but they will to the bestop rail. I also will be sending him the top half door to recover the frame to match

Ken, I find your analysis of what you wanted interesting because I basically came to the same conclusions when I was building up my FJ40. I went with an LS-1 from a 2002 Corvette, NV-4500 and Toyota split-case. I do not understand the loyalty of some to the Toyota F series engines.

One of the reasons I went with an LS-1 was the fuel injection system. Designed by GM and improved over a few years, it also had big aftermarket support in terms of wiring harnesses, computer programming services, etc. Others had done the heavy lifting on figuring out the intricacies of the swap.

That said my first FJ40 had a 383 stroker motor with a lengthy list of expensive components. One of those was an Edelbrock fuel injection system. With all the money the previous owner dumped into that motor one would reasonably expect a powerhouse...but it wasn't. I didn't know squat about Edelbrock fuel injection and didn't know anyone who did. I called their tech support people and they raved about how easy it was to change fuel mapping and various other programming elements. But I had zero desire to learn this stuff and then spend hours and hours trying to make it run optimally. So I sold that FJ40 and bought a bone stock '78 to be my "canvas".

Congratulations on your new purchase!

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Jay, that's a great choice. before I purchased I discussed options with Justin at Red Line. he said if I bought a vehicle needing a swap, then an LS engine would be preferred over all other options. I toy'd just doing a swap and selling the 350, but it has a fresh rebuild only 2000 miles ago so I decided to stick with it. The shop I am working with told me they could add a Multi-port system that would perform as well if not better than a stock GM setup. I know, of course they would say that. I'll see how it comes out and post results

I know I already hate the crab. It stalled on my a couple of times at stop lights so I had to adjust the idle up. May need to adjust the mixture too

pb4ugo

SILVER Star
Nice 40, What carb is on it? I purchased a 1975 40 w/a SBC/NV4500 & frt disc brakes yrs ago, but only driven it a few times when I purchased it. It's been in mothballs for 10yrs or more. I'm currently updating it w/rear discs, lift, PS & such. It's carb'd along w/my primary FJ40 which is more for trail, both have Qjets. Fuel injection is on the list of things to do, but it continually gets shoved down the todo-list because the Qjet works well. If I were to inject either it would be w/a stk GM throttle body or GM tpi. They're tried & true w/plenty of parts available @ any parts store.

Clutchee

I'm fun sized!
Ken congrats!

Look up affordable fuel injection-
I have seen 5+ V8 40 running their TBI setup without issue.
Some of the CLC guys running them on 2f and like the results.

I have TBI kit on my v8 40 and love it.

Good luck!

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Ken congrats!

Look up affordable fuel injection-
I have seen 5+ V8 40 running their TBI setup without issue.
Some of the CLC guys running them on 2f and like the results.

I have TBI kit on my v8 40 and love it.

Good luck!

Thanks Man

I am actually having a multi port Holly setup installed by a shop to get it right. It is pricy, but I thinks it's worth it

Really enjoying driving the V8 with 5 speed. Lots of power and shifts well.

I ordered the half doors from Aqualu that work with the best top tops. I am going to get one of Trollholes new OEM style tops with the magnets instead of straps when he starts selling those

Very nice. I had my last cruiser set up just like I wanted it besides the motor. I went the balanced/cammed 2F route. It sure ran sweet with noticeably more power than stock but it was still ridiculously thirsty and kinda slow. Sold it last summer. I'm putting together a 68 for a friend now and it's sure giving me the bug to build another one. And a friend of mine always seems to have a few spare LS-style truck motors kicking around...

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Ahh Fuel Injection.

Nice to turn the key and have it start with out giving it gas

Nice to not smell like a carb after driving

Nice having the extra power it gave me

The shop did a nice job tuning it

At the wheels it went from 89 HP to 150 Hp, but the carb was running rich so a properly tuned carb might have made a difference. 205 lbs of torque

When he called me after starting he said, you know this engine typically only gets to 190 hp at best at the engine, he was use to tuning sport cars.

The amount of power is perfect for me. It has great pickup and does 80 nicely on the highway at about 2400 rpm

They installed the 550-810 Holly Multi-port kit. Colorado Speed and Chassis on Havana, I would recommend them
attachment.php

attachment.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom