Coming around again for the third time- Romers new 1977 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
It’s amazing how things come back at you again. My first two cars were muscle cars (Torino and Dodge Monaco) and then I got a 1974 FJ40 (in 1979) from Stevenson Toyota. Took it to college in Arizona (Drinking age was 19) with me, drove all over Arizona with the top off. It made the trip from Phoenix to Denver twice a year and saw me through my first job till I thought I was ready to move on to a sports car, a Fix It Again Tony X-19, what a mistake. Went through several other cars after that and missed the old 40, so I bought a Jeep in 93. Not the same, but lasted me 7 years until I bought a GMC.

Then I bought my 2nd FJ40, a 1977 twenty-four years after I bought my first one (yes I am an old guy). It was a 2nd vehicle and just a toy. I wanted a SC for my 80 to tow the camper and having a family with lots of expenses its that something has to go to get something new. Sold the 40 to buy a SC for the 80.

Now I am looking to get another FJ40

I don't want another project vehicle like my 77 was. I want one more like my first one. Like it was pretty close to being new and off the lot. Except you can’t buy them from Toyota anymore. If you could you and I would have done that a while ago

So I started thinking what the perfect 40 for me at this time in my life would be. This will irk the purists, but I came up with a short list. One that had recently been stripped own and repainted with seals and bolts replaced. One that I could drive on the highway at 75-80 MPH at low 2000ish RPM with one hand on the wheel. One that had Air Conditioning. One that rode like an FJ40, but more like an Fj40 would ride if it was built today still with the solid axle and leaf springs. (Not looking at coils)

I started researching components. A 5 speed manual or automatic Tranny, a V8 Fuel Injected motor and of course power steering. One that the engine etc were in good shape and wouldn’t need a rebuild for some time

I basically wanted to get an FJ40 with updated equipment that LOOKED like it was new or at least just a couple of years old. Great looking paint, no rust and not a tired looking interior

Many of these are way out of my price range, but there have been a few that I have found. Most had a Turbo 350 tranny. Many say one of the most reliable auto tranny out there. But I ruled those out as I wanted one with overdrive. There are several autos that have been used, but the 5 speed Manual NV4500 looked like a good choice. I know the Toyota H55 is also popular. Based on what I read the V8 Performance 350 or Stocker 386 looked like good candidate engines and have done well with the NV4500 tranny. I test drove a 400 engine with a T350 tranny and it seemed to run hot (lots of Internet stories about that) and the RPM with the T350 tranny on the highway seemed pretty high (no tach), uncomfortably high.

I also wanted fuel Injection, and the Vortec/GM engine combos had a good track record in the Fj40’s. Talked to Justin and he said the only ones better are the LS series.

Blah blah blah blah, get on with it Ken:bang:

I drove a beautiful Blue well cared for 78 series that ran well and looked nice, but didn’t have the setup I was looking for.

I have it narrowed down to two Fj40’s. Both have been stripped down sand blasted and repainted along with most of the components replaced. Both look great like they are new off the lot. Both have the NV4500. One has the GM Performance 350 with a 4 barrel Carb and the other has a stocker 383 with Vortec and Fuel Injection. I was set on the Vortec one and the other one dropped his price $5K. Now researching to see how much it costs to put a good Fuel Injection adapter kit on. Justin suggested replacing the whole motor setup to get the full benefit.

Blah Blah Blah, get on with it already:bang::bang::bang::bang:

I consider the 350 and the 383 similar for discussion purposes. I know the 383 has more power, but for the moment its a toss up

I want fuel injection. The less expensive Rig has a 4 barrel carb

Both have the NV4500 tranny

The best way to get fuel injection is to replace the complete engine setup (Vortec or LS) which with new parts would be about 7-$10K. I know less using used parts.

My preference is to get the one with the Vortec setup, but the other one just dropped his price big time.

So now for the question:
I have seen fuel injection kits for $1K-2K and wondering how effective they are. Could I get close to the performance of the Vortec (as far as I would notice in the seat) with one of these kits and what should I look for?

yes there are many threads, and those have helped me narrow down to these two vehicles, but the answer to my questions are not apparent

And to those purists who say drive the carb and get one with a 2F, Pffffffffft I have had two of those, enjoyed them but want something different this time. Remember, I'm they guy who flipped the bezel on my rig only because I knew it irritated you :D

My last 40 is in my sig line. Funny I still get PMs about the power steering thread I did about 9 years ago. If I get another 40, I will have had one in the 70's, 80s, 2000's and now 2010's. The 1990s were a dry decade when I tried the Jeep thing. Damn I am getting old.

JohnnyC

Long ago TLCA# 2231
I would get the done one.... You've been there and done that.... When I'm there I'd not want to deal with it... It's done and works great on the other correct?

Get that one... Offer a tad lower and see if you can get it IMHO

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Good advice, way I am leaning. I still debate going with an auto. It would have to have an overdrive like the 700r4. None in the quality of vehicle I want. The 3 speed autos are too high on RPMs on the Highway. I do like wheeling better with an Auto tranny.

Thanks for the ICON Video. Even used those are out of my price range. I saw a used one for $60K.

FJ404345

Drive your 40 series daily !
GOLD Star
Mostly young guys want all these options, but as an old guy (own words) out of experience you know the original setting is the best, why you need to change everything ?

Never change a winning team. Buy a standard late model, 4 speed with powersteering.

If driving an "original" FJ40 became to hard, buy another brand, but you can't make a Cadillac out of a FJ40.

:cheers:

Stop telling the guy not to buy what he wants! You're a purist- I get it and that's great for you. I have a 1974 with an SBC400 and LOVE it. It's still an FJ40 and it rides like I want it to. To each their own. Romer has researched and knows what he wants and is asking for opinions on those options. If you can't post without being a preachy purist, just keep your thoughts to yourself. It's disrespectful!

Good luck with your decision Romer!

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Mostly young guys want all these options, but as an old guy (own words) out of experience you know the original setting is the best, why you need to change everything ?

Never change a winning team. Buy a standard late model, 4 speed with powersteering.

If driving an "original" FJ40 became to hard, buy another brand, but you can't make a Cadillac out of a FJ40.

:cheers:

That's why they make Chocolate and Vanilla, not everyone has the same tastes

I am an old guy and having driven land cruisers most of my life, I understand what makes these best for me. This isn't my first Rodeo :D

I am not some new guy just getting into these things. I know what I want and being a purist is limiting in having a vehicle live up to its full capabilities

Like I said to those who think I should remain purist, Pfffft ( I mean that with great respect for understanding your values and appreciation of a great vehicles heritage

Thanks Snowdogyyz

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Last year I sold what you are looking for because I just didnt drive it. Now days the new old guys are going for pro touring cars.

Already passed through that midlife. I have had 2 BMW Z4's and looking to get rid of that for this as my 2nd vehicle :D

Nice to hear from you Phil

CreeperSleeper

Cascade Cruisers
SILVER Star
Not exactly what you are looking for, but it may be a good start. A fellow club member is selling this and it is very nice:

"I am selling my 1975 FJ40. It is posted here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/301273599226?forcerRptr=true&item=301273599226&viewitem=

Here is the detail from the listing:

This truck has been my reliable daily driver for 16 years. Over that time I have put a lot of work and TLC into her. In 2005, she was professionally restored. The top and doors are removable, the windshield can optionally fold down and she has a full cage installed. I have a clean Texas title and the truck is currently in Oregon.

Recent work
The engine has been professionally tuned, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor and coil in the last 5k miles. The brake pads and shoes, including the e-brake shoes were replace at that time, as were 2 leaking rear wheel cylinders. The engine oil and differential oil was changed just prior to posting, and all other fluids checked. New battery as of 2013.

Body and Frame
In 2005 the truck was professionally restored. This included cutting out any bad metal and welding in new metal, replacing the rear sill and other known trouble spots (no seams, bondo, or diamond plating here!) She was painted using factory mustard yellow and the interior was Rhino lined matching the body color. The hardtop is from a 1978 FJ40 to gain the rear wing windows, which are awesome for airflow on hot days. All hardtop, door, and hood rubber seals and bumpers were replaced and installed during the restoration. The window track felts were replaced with the rubber version from a 1983 FJ40 to bring the window seals up to modern specification. All of this was done using factory Toyota parts. After the restore, a Spector Off- Road carpet kit and heat barrier insulation was installed in the front and rear compartments. I used rubber mats on top of the carpet in the front, so the carpet is in near perfect condition. Spector UB40 fender flares were added.

Engine
The engine was fully rebuilt in 2006. There are 120000 miles on the truck and 13000 miles on the engine. The distributer is the coveted non-USA model with micro adjustment. The carburetor is a weber 32/36, which has also been professionally rebuilt and tuned.

Mechanical
The front axle was replaced with a post 1978 axle to gain disk brakes, and the knuckles were rebuilt. The steering components have been rebuilt, and the brake master, clutch master and slave cylinders and gas tank all replaced using factory Toyota parts. The truck has power steering using a Saginaw gearbox, eliminating the complexity in the stock steering relay components. The transfer case limiter has been removed, allowing 2 wheel drive LOW gear, which is excellent when you need more power, but don’t need 4x4. The alternator was replaced with a 105 Amp model with internal regulator to better power the winch.

Additional pieces
I have the rear heater and hoses. These are not installed, but included in the sale. I have a mustard yellow “blank” to close the rear if the top and ambulance doors are off. The truck has a locking Tuffy center console and locking glove box. It also has a rear 2” receiver hitch. There is an ARB air compressor under the hood and a lock-right locker in the rear. The front has an 8274 winch with 125’ of cable. The truck is on 31x10.50xR15 BF Goodrich Mud Terrain tires. Which gives her a hungrier look than the stock 29” tires. A JVC stereo CD Player with MP3 jack is installed in the Tuffy box and 4 speakers, including 2 under the dash and 2 weather resistant speakers for the rear. There is a CB installed as well."

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
It's Deja Vue. I mentioned in my first post my last 40, the 1977 Red FJ40 that is in my sig line with a ROTW .

pic-8-jpg.36033

As mentioned above, I was looking over 3. Two had the NV4500 5-speed tranny, and one had the 4 Speed Auto tranny. I really wanted fuel injection and was trying to figure out how to make that work financially, when one I was evaluating dropped its price $5K. It was already less than the others by $4K. Only problem is it had a 600CFM carb. Researched it and determine it wouldn't be that bad to add Fuel Injection and still come out way ahead financially. Hmm this leaves $$$ for half doors, storage tailgate and maybe even an OEM soft top (like those better). Also talking to the shop I was confident it would be as good if not better than buying one with it already installed

Another thing that sold me where the receipts showing 2000 miles ago a complete rebuild of the engine showing $5700 of work. The detail of what they did was great. The Tranny was rebuilt before being installed in 2014 with custom drive shafts.
Engine.jpg

Today drove up to Fort Collins and bought another 40. And yes it is a Freeborn Red 1977 like my last one, BUT it is in much better shape. Rear tub was replaced with an aqua. No rust on the cowl or front. All lined and painted.

It has AC and a few other features my last 40 didn't
Cruz.JPG
Front.jpg
Dash.jpg

So yes, I confess I am a Land Cruiser -holic and I am getting rid of my BMW sports car for one

Any one want a 2009 BMWZ4 :)

Hmm- Ige should I flip the Bezel so you know it's me :D

Last edited:
Good work! I think you made a great decision. Almost all of us should agree it is more fun to drive a cruiser than stare at one in pieces in the garage. It's clean, reliable, and sounds like a bargain. Enjoy it!

Matt

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Good work! I think you made a great decision. Almost all of us should agree it is more fun to drive a cruiser than stare at one in pieces in the garage. It's clean, reliable, and sounds like a bargain. Enjoy it!

Matt

Thanks

It was nice driving down the highway at 70-75MPH with one hand on the wheel without having my teeth jarred out and seeing the RPM at 2300-2400

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom