Comin' home..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy, just thought I would take a few minutes to introduce myself. I've been looking through this site for several months now via my good buddy's membership. I was hesitant to become a member due to the fact that I currently do not own a Land Cruiser. I am however heading home here soon and fully intend on purchasing my very own FZJ 80. Right now I wheel a '72 International Scout which I love with all of my heart, but a good friend of mine has got me convinced that Land Cruisers are the way to go, and judging from this website he is correct. So I'm excited to get home and get this adventure started and see where it takes me.

So a person purchases a completely stock FZJ 80 with front and rear lockers. What is the first mod that should be completed?

as far as mods go, it really depends on your style of wheeling, some need 40 inch tires and others are just fine with stock.

tell us more about your intended type of wheeling and I think you'll get more suggestions.

I guess knowing what I plan on doing with the LC would help determine the kind of mods and upgrades should be done.
What I want is something that is completely capable offroad. Nothing too extreme but if I'm down in Utah and I want to hit up part of Moab I wanna be able to give a good showing, but I also want the LC to be able to make the drive on its own. Given my capacity for horrible ideas, I am always going to be out there doing something I probably shouldn't be doing and I would like to have my LC act accordingly. Not sure if that helps any.:beer:

I'd first spend $500 baselining it by looking at the Mud 80 series FAQ - belts, hoses, fluids, front axle repack. Then the first mod for some pretty heavy offroading on a factory locked 80 would be good tires. Not BIG tires - good tires. Perhaps go up a size to 285s but make them quality offroad rubber. With this vehicle, you'll be able to go on up to 4 rated Moab trails without any body protection once you've done some wheeling with it to know the angles/distances, etc. Even medium modified vehicles cannot stay with a locked 80 unless the trail's too tight.

DougM

I'd first spend $500 baselining it by looking at the Mud 80 series FAQ - belts, hoses, fluids, front axle repack. Then the first mod for some pretty heavy offroading on a factory locked 80 would be good tires. Not BIG tires - good tires. Perhaps go up a size to 285s but make them quality offroad rubber. With this vehicle, you'll be able to go on up to 4 rated Moab trails without any body protection once you've done some wheeling with it to know the angles/distances, etc. Even medium modified vehicles cannot stay with a locked 80 unless the trail's too tight.

DougM

Hey thanks I'll keep that in mind. I had already planned on keeping it simple at first with the baselining. Now that I'm savvy on the 80 series FAQ it should make it a little easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom