Combo meter pin out (mid 70s) flavor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been working the pinouts on the combo meter / speedo.

2 questions. Pin 7 says it a 'Reed switch / emissions computer'. Any ideas on it's functionality?

2nd, on the upper back near the cable connection on the speedo., there are 2 fairly heavy gauge brass with screw on blade connectors. I know the EGR interval timer is on the motor side of the firewall but I've no idea what they are for. Speed sensor?

I'm going to disassemble the meter soon, paint and clean it and reset the odometer to 0 but im working on wiring now and was interested if there is any fun functionality to them.

A rear photo of my '77 gauge cluster.

IMG_4624.jpg

The manual shows the computer (the one it used to have) has (or had, past tense) a speed sensor somewhere. Pin 7 has a blue white (L/W) wire to it, via the jumper arraignment shown in your pic. It's be cool if it's a working pulse generator.

So long as it is documented, resetting to zero while rebuilding shouldn't be a big deal.

Toyota replaced our cars instrument cluster with a new one that said 0000000 on it. I asked if it could be made to match the original and was told it wasn't possible.

For the most part, buyers will assume it has turned over unless documents show otherwise. I'm sure mine had said zero at least three times. When it was a rusty beater I bought in '91 it read 35k... I'm certain it was at least 135k miles. The 1.5F died at (1)85k miles... I doubt it was 285k miles. I watched it hit zero again. In a stretch I could try to convince someone it only had 118k on it, but why? It becomes kinda irrelevant how many miles the firewall has traveled... when the frame, tub, top, engine, trans, tcase, hood, seats, axles, suspension, fenders, rad, roll cage, glass, etc have all been replaced.

My odo had a Reid switch in the back of it. A pulsing signal from it went to the emissions computer... back when it had a stock engine in it.

You guys don't go getting your panties in a bunch. I've rolled the the odometer more than once just by driving it, I've driven it for years without a speedo cable and even reset it before when I replaced one of the meters.

Documentation consist of checking a box on the title if and when it's sold saying the odometer does not reflect actual miles. It's actually assumed to be inaccurate if it's been rolled over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom