1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Combat vs Non combat

Discussion in 'Veterans Highway' started by thecrazygreek, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Bryanseye

Bryanseye Inaffective Grammer Nazi SILVER Star

Media:
    Between pit of man's fears and summit of knowledge
    Questions can initiate learning; those that ask, answer, or observe.

Law Dog and 120mm like this.
  2. Chungas Revenge

Chungas Revenge

You would love my cousin Beverly...

gator25, 120mm and rkymtnflyfisher like this.
  3. Hugh Heifer

Hugh Heifer In Tenneginia!

Media:
    Albums:
    :hmm: I guess I could have let you walk to work everytime you needed a flight in a Blackhawk.

That's one of the stupidest memes I have ever seen.

4. dirtyboots

dirtyboots Atrocious Driving SILVER Star

There is definitely a difference between combat and non combat. Combat infantry have worked harder, endured more hardship, and suffered more in austere environments than any other MOS in the military. :rolleyes:

Strut around in a Murica t shirt and post up pics of your every day carry springfield xd with punisher skull magazine base plates on Pinterest. Grunt Style is one of the most DB things I have ever seen. The only person that would classify themselves elite in military service are inexperienced or arrogant. Unless you survived Verdun. Then you can talk s*** about anything.:flipoff2:

5. krzyabncanuck

krzyabncanuck USFS HOTSHOT GOLD Star

As most know I am on a mostly all Veterans Fire crew here in AZ.

Most of us were line guys. Or small unit guys.

We can talk crap all day long to each other , but when it comes down to it we have each other's back.

Now if a civvy talks crap to us on the crew it is a different ball of wax. Most of you know the talk I am talking about. The Marines versus Army type stuff. At the end of the day we are still brothers and sisters in the big picture.

So. Let's pull our britches up and get this place back on track.

gator25 and rkymtnflyfisher like this.
  6. Bryanseye

Bryanseye Inaffective Grammer Nazi SILVER Star

Media:
    Between pit of man's fears and summit of knowledge
    I think you are describing the difference between respect and awe. :beer:

Having spent time in combat, but not infantry, I will support that combat grunts had it the worst. We may have also lost sleep, sweated, bled, and dealt with the dyanamics of a 2-way range, but being in a tank unit meant we were more likely to have coffee every day. :steer:

gator25, pngunme and krzyabncanuck like this.
  7. dirtyboots

dirtyboots Atrocious Driving SILVER Star

Nupe just poking fun at blanket generalizations..unless it's me mocking Grunt Style aficionados:rolleyes:..it's apples and oranges from one day to the next, and from one person's experience to the next depending on their threshold and perceptions of reality..awe and whatever is in the eye of the beholder..

And regretting posting in this thread in 3.2.1 slowly brushing out have a good one fellers-:beer:

8. rkymtnflyfisher

rkymtnflyfisher SILVER Star

All we ever wanted was warm chow, more ammo, and to top off the flask.

9. Helipilot

Helipilot SILVER Star

I respect all veterans who stepped up and served. I was in heavy combat, earned two Distinguished Flying Crosses, Purple Heart, Bronze Star and two Air Medals with "V" device among other stuff. Took a lot of lives of those folks who were most certainly trying to kill me or other troops. But, being on the tip of the spear required a lot of good troops behind me keeping the gunships in flying condition, the cooks in the mess hall, supply guys, transportation guys, and on and on. It was team work.

What I do not like to see is the guys who were not in a combat role showing up at the VA claiming PTSD or other maladies directly related to combat in order to get some type of benefits not due them. Or guys wearing dirty or damaged camo. Have some pride and do not denigrate the uniform guys. It seems the ones who talk all the time about their service really didn't see much actual service. i.e. While at the VA for a checkup on my injuries from combat, a guy was loud mouthing about his service...pissed me off, took him to task and he didn't have the right answers to a lot of questions he should have known. Told him to take a hike and the others vets and their wives in the waiting area nodded and clapped as he left as they were also tired of his loud mouth and BS.

Veterans are special people, they have served this wonderful country we call America and can stand tall and not take any crap from anyone.

"All we ever wanted was warm chow, more ammo, and to top off the flask." said Rocky...I agree, spent almost a month in the Ashau Valley, "C" rations every day and occasionally hot food flown in the insulated containers. Had to throw a grenade in the creek to kill the leaches before we could take a dip to wash up.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  10. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Long ago TLCA# 2231 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Was just in a long talk with my marine buddy last night and this came up "all I wanted was..."

To dry off :)

Wet cloths ... and muddy

He was completely naked I guess when two hues came up upon his group ... they radioed about "a naked Jesus" one of 'their guys' in the landing area completely nude ... when his (I think he said MSgt I could be wrong) master Sargent came up to enquirer wtf is going on his response (in the nude arms stretched out and looking up) "just drying off sir"

The Sargent had complained earlier that they didn't have dry socks? To him and his fellow marines

Can't necessarily go to a laundry mat :meh:

I am Not a veteran... so I do not claim to relate ... but at least you don't have to deal with common core and parents who want you to parent their children so they dont have to :meh:

pngunme and GA Architect like this.
  11. dtsnyder

dtsnyder

Hey all,

First post in this sub. Not even a TLC owner yet (picking up my 84 FJ60 tomorrow, can't wait).

Like others have said, I think regardless of what you did, just serving your country is an admirable thing. There are people who take advantage of it, for sure, and those who were piss poor military members, but I think most did their best to serve honorably.

I was a medic in the Army from 2012-2016. On the line with the infantry guys with one deployment to Afghanistan. Things weren't too kinetic (thankfully) when we were there, and aside from some IEDs and a few gunshots, everything was pretty laid back. My experience certainly fell on the side of less combat, particularly compared to those who were there in the earlier years. Warm food most nights, slept in a bed most nights, etc.

Were the folks in the mail room going out on patrols everyday? Nope. Was I glad they were in the mail room when we came back from missions and had mail to pick up? Absolutely. They played an important role.

12. custyota

custyota MEATBALL

I'm a proud POG veteran!

pngunme likes this.
  13. Helipilot

Helipilot SILVER Star

Person Other than Grunt...Still you served and wrote the check to the military for an amount up to and including your life. Thanks for your service.

custyota and pngunme like this.
  14. Helipilot

Helipilot SILVER Star

Welcome dtsnyder and custyota to the highway, thanks for your service guys.

dtsnyder and custyota like this.
  15. Big Ed

Big Ed

My brother was Armor mechanic sixteen years and he never heard of it, he called them REMF. I told him we used pogue. He looked it up and was surprised to find. "Members of the armed forces employed in rear echelon duties".