column mounted transmission? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
did an fj40 ever have a factory column mounted shifter. a friend said he found a '71 with a three on the tree and i have never heard of it. just wondering. thanks. mine is a '77 which is why i'm a little rusty on me early model trivia.

yes, the colume mount(3 on the tree) was standard up to around 72(or so) floor mount 3 speed was optional. fj25's had a floor mount 4 speed, but a one speed t-case. fj55's also had the 3 on the tree for the 1st few years

so yup, your buddy is correct

here is a pic of my 64 fj45 LV with the 3 on the tree
52777562.jpg

that's a 64 and the interior looks like that

makes my 76 feel old

yup, pretty plush for an old waggy :)

bad_religion_au said:
that's a 64 and the interior looks like that

makes my 76 feel old

bad you need to do a search and look at all the pics posted when pic first got. Truely amazing...... :cool:

I dream about it everyother night. Some day, Some day..... :banana:

even if I have to use all my retirement money. :censor: :cool:

The "3 on the tree" is the coolest. Buy it and come to the dark side. :D

I never knew a three was the dark side. I kept mine during the rebuild because it is harder for stupid people to steel it.

I really like 'em. My 40 has one, and I am collecting parts to revert the '45, which had a chromed column shifter originally (the 40 shifters were black).

yeah the one in the pic has been painted, but I swaped it out for the one out of my 65 fj40......which was chrome(or thats what I remember)

I really dig the 3 on the tree myself, they are very easy to use, right where they should be and give more floor room......and how many of todays punks would even know how to shift it......making it hard to drive away with ;) (that and pull the dash lever for 4x4 in nutraul....and they aint going anyplace :)

IDave said:
I really like 'em. My 40 has one, and I am collecting parts to revert the '45, which had a chromed column shifter originally (the 40 shifters were black).

The only complaint I have with mine is, it is a little more noticable when my hand "accidentally" slips off the shifter to the wifes leg. Other than that I even had someone, a fellow fj40 owner ask me if I had an auto and when I told him no he asked where my shifter was.

Les

The reason that I call it the dark side as just seems fewer and fewer are keeping theirs. most people seem to convert to the floor. I love mine. I will never do the conversion at least not in my 71. 70 maybe ? I am personally not as smooth at is I would like to be, too used to going diagonal instead of up down and side to side. A little pause never hurt anyone though and it is not like I lose momentum when I shift just differant...which is what I love.

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom