Columbus Day Weekend to Moab (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another big trade off is there is less traffic up 491, but more fatalities. I won't go into the reasons why, but 491 is a two lane so more head-ons.

I think there was one today or yesterday. Car crossed in front of a semi.

Anybody else from our group (who will be at the KOA Thursday night) want to run Moab Rim with the FJCs on Friday morning? They are meeting at the City Market at 8:00. I think I'd like to join them - that's supposed to be an awesome trail.

How about you other KOA guys - Graham, Steve & Wendy, Vince, James?

I'm up for Golden Spike on Saturday with their group and Behind the Rocks on Sunday. If things get bogged down because we've got too many rigs, we can always split off. But it sounds like fun to me.

Ropedrag - I'll plan on meeting you guys at 8:00 at the City Market. If you don't see me, go ahead and I'll catch up later in the weekend. We have to pick up the wife's rental car that morning and I'm not sure how long it will take. I'll be in a dark green 80 series on 35s. Hope to see you there!

Evan

P.S. I expect some clarification this weekend from Jon about Pappy being a Pappy. The clues are pointing to adoption?!? I haven't figured it out yet. More clues please.

P.S. I expect some clarification this weekend from Jon about Pappy being a Pappy. The clues are pointing to adoption?!? I haven't figured it out yet. More clues please.

Adoption has already occured. :grinpimp:

But it was long time ago. Both my sister and I are adopted. You guys are fun to mess with.

Sounds good to me!

Anybody else from our group (who will be at the KOA Thursday night) want to run Moab Rim with the FJCs on Friday morning? They are meeting at the City Market at 8:00. I think I'd like to join them - that's supposed to be an awesome trail.

How about you other KOA guys - Graham, Steve & Wendy, Vince, James?

I'm up for Golden Spike on Saturday with their group and Behind the Rocks on Sunday. If things get bogged down because we've got too many rigs, we can always split off. But it sounds like fun to me.

Ropedrag - I'll plan on meeting you guys at 8:00 at the City Market. If you don't see me, go ahead and I'll catch up later in the weekend. We have to pick up the wife's rental car that morning and I'm not sure how long it will take. I'll be in a dark green 80 series on 35s. Hope to see you there!

Evan

Ralph and I are getting in late, but we'll be game Friday morning. Does this count out those coming off of E-hill looking to do Fins and Things in the afternoon.

I guess what I'm asking is...How long does Moab Rim take and will we be back for the afternoon crew?

G

Ralph and I are getting in late, but we'll be game Friday morning. Does this count out those coming off of E-hill looking to do Fins and Things in the afternoon.

I guess what I'm asking is...How long does Moab Rim take and will we be back for the afternoon crew?

G

That's the plan, except we're considering Hell's Revenge intead of Fins and Things on Friday afternoon.

DONE

i'm fixed, packed, loaded and ready to go! :grinpimp:let's wheel in Moab!:bounce: :beer:

I'll be thinking of all the fun you're having while I'm taking a bath in gear oil and bearing grease on Friday. I'll attempt to get my driver side knuckle cleaned and resealed, too late for Moab of course.

Hello everyone,

I'm at the Moab Rim RV park staying with some family that was passing thru Utah. I cought up with Vince at the KOA and he said a group is going to meet up on Friday with some FJ guys at the City Market @ 8 AM. I will see you there. What CB chanel will you be running incase no cell coverage?

Hi James,

I passed you on the way back to KOA from the City Market this evening. We'll be on channel 40.

Cya in the morning!

Fun on Slickrock!

A quick post - just made it back to the house and Moab was a blast!

There will be lots of pics and vdeo available - we're still figuring out the logistics. Steve graciously offered to collect the picture and video files on his laptop at Moab. He's got my pics and I'm not sure who else he got them from. I think he's planning to set them up on a website, or ??? Steve-thanks for helping with that!

Trails that I ran:

Friday - Moab Rim in the morning (the first mile anyway) - we ran out of time and headed back to camp to meet the E-Hill contingent. They didn't show up right away, so we ran Fins & Things in the afternoon.

Moab Rim was great but very tough. I'd like to finish the whole thing another time - maybe CM08.

Friday morning was Graham, Steve & Wendy, Vince, James, me and Ralph (Graham's friend in the Jeep), and the afternoon was the same except for Vince and James.

Saturday - Golden Spike. Very fun trail. Graham, Steve, Shawn & family, me, Ralph, and Mike. Evaskovich was a surprise guest and he rode the whole thing on his bike! He's hard core. All the "80's" (that includes Graham's LX 450) walked right up Double Whammy after we all watched a 4Runner roll while attempting it. The guy driving was OK, but the Runner broke both motor mounts and shattered some glass. Crunched one side of the windshield, but it stayed in place. I've never seen a roll in real time before. Glad it wasn't one of our group.

Sunday was Behind the Rocks - pretty much the same group as Spike, but we added Jon. Juane rode along with me and Jon. This was likely the hardest trail I've ever done, but also the most fun. Most of us did almost every optional obstacle, including High Dive, Upchuck, and White Knuckle Hill. Mike took a shortcut off the trail to head back to Abq at the end of the day, so he missed White Knuckle. An amazing trail. High Dive scared the s**t out of me, but everyone made it through unscathed. White Knuckle was such a steep descent that we used a strap on the back of every vehicle - with 3-4 guys holding on so the back wheels of the vehicle stayed on the ground when the nose hit the bottom of the obstacle.

The very first obstacle on behind the Rocks had three of the seven trucks being winched up, so that set the tone for the rest of the day. What a blast! Pics and video forthcoming...

Evan

The only pics I uploaded from cameras were Evan's and Jon's. Graham's camera didn't like my laptop for some reason (operator error no doubt) and we didn't have a cable for Williams' camera. As is, I have just about a full CD. Maybe Mike can put them up on his site (?)

The best days I've had in Moab!

More later...

The best days I've had in Moab!

Agreed. Great trip and I'm ready for the 2nd annual HDC fall trip to Moab. Let's start planning at the meeting on Sunday. :D

I will be happy to host pictures, videos, and whatever we need. Unfortunately, the web hosting service is not up at the present time. I've sent an e-mail to their support so maybe I will know something soon.

-Mike-

Here's a video of a little hill that freaked me out on Friday. I first tried a line to the left (right side of the picture) and popped the front end up... Then I tried the line the Jeep's doing, and popped the front end up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA4rQtlSAu4

Finally I went around further to the right and made it. I was sweating bullets for ... Well, I still am, thinking about it...

And I'd Just Like To Say...

...watching from the sidelines:

Shawn is an excellent trail leader and spotter. Knows his stuff, and is very cool and confident at getting those with less experience and capable rigs through very tough trails.

Everyone who drove Golden Spike, and especially Behind the Rocks has much bigger cajones than me.

FZJ-80s are friggin' great off road machines. (and LX 450s).

I know that any limitation that my 80 has is strictly behind the steering wheel.

Therefore, I'll be sticking to two wheels.

I hope this becomes an annual HDC event.

juane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom