Columbus Day Weekend to Moab (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
That's the plan. Maybe leave Wednesday or Thursday and come back Monday Oct 8th. Of course people could even come up on Friday to run Saturday and Sunday, or whatever.

Comments?

Last edited:
Calling in dead and returning to work a few days later is one thing... collecting on insurance is a little different.... I would probably think it best to avoid the whole insurance fraud thing.

Mike M. and I talked about this on the way home. We have time to firm things up between now and then, but there may also be decissions that need to be made in advance. What we came up with was leave on Thursday, come back Monday. The idea we discussed was drive up to Moab, motel/camp. Then run Fins and Things with Hell's Revenge. The next day head down to Elephant Hill and camp at Devil's Kitchen. Return home on Monday. We also talked about hitting E Hill first, then driving up to Moab.

If we do E Hill and Devil's Kitchen we need to plan ahead. A permit is required to camp at Devil's Kitchen ($30), and they go fast. The sooner the sites are reserved the better chance of getting what we want, or anything at all. There are only four sites, each handles 10 people/three vehicles on a single permit. The $30 is on top of the $10 entry fee. IMHO, only three of the sites are worth staying in.

For those that haven't been to Devil's Kitchen it's an improved camp with four sites. Three are tucked into rock alcoves. There are two very nice chemical pots, and each camp has a picnic table. For a backcountry site it's the ultimate. There are also a few loop trails in the area that go to Chesler Park. What you folks did on CM out to Chesler Park overlook was only the beginning.

This thread is now sticky. Let's banter this around.

Last edited:
I'm interested. I don't want to have to wait until CM08 to wheel that area. Of course, that will be a hell of a drive for me, so I will have to kick it around with my wife and see what she thinks.:cool:

I'd say E Hill/Devils Kitchen ought to be first since it's "on the way". Might also be easier to get the site reserved on a weekday.

I don't think we should necessarily delineate the day to drive there and the day to drive back. Different people will have different possible schedules. We should maximize flexibility. Neither do I want to camp at Elephant Hill, which seems to take a couple of days away from around Moab itself. Maybe an alternate would be something like Golden Spike for some of us who don't want to tent it at E Hill, or camp right outside and make a long run in and out in a day, or something like that. I don't know, but let's get an idea of what people who are going want before we set a rigid schedule.

Also, I'm pretty sure I or we are going (Wendy is starting a new job, so her schedule is up in the air), but people who are not going to try to go should not be providing advice.

SteveLCetc said:
I don't think we should necessarily delineate the day to drive there and the day to drive back. Different people will have different possible schedules. We should maximize flexibility.

Then what is the point of doing this as an organized club run? We can go up independently any time. We picked these dates so folks with kids could go up over the long weekend while they are out of school.

SteveLCetc said:
Maybe leave Wednesday or Thursday and come back Monday Oct 8th.

Besides, the dates I tossed out there look pretty close to what you suggested, don't they. :flipoff2:

SteveLCetc said:
Maybe an alternate would be something like Golden Spike ...

Personally, I think we should be picking trails that everybody can do.

SteveLCetc said:
I don't know, but let's get an idea of what people who are going want before we set a rigid schedule.

I'll say this again, since you seem to have missed it ... "Let's banter this around."

Jon

I think you might cut some people out by having an organized club run that includes a mandatory night of tenting it, for one thing. We don't want to control the types of people who come on the run - easier and harder runs than you have suggested are good as well, as well as lodging every night that could include hotels and/or campers.

Also, some people might want to drive up Friday evening, to meet Saturday morning for a run out of Moab, or come Thursday night and leave Sunday am.

Basically, my point is an overnight getting to and tenting it at Devil's Kitchen removes flexibility and probably participants. I know there are some people who would love to come but don't want to be obligated to try Elephant Hill. There are also others who feel that two days at Elephant Hill is burning a lot of daylight for a long weekend trip.

Let's see who is interested and then optimize the runs. They also don't have to be just HDC members.

I'm glad we're talking about this early. By the way, I had a great time a CM.

I'm game for just about anything. Camping out on Elephant hill sounds good to me. I know it may seem like less trail for the hours because of the overnight, but my kids don't want to be in the car all day anyway. Isn't there some nice hikes to a slot canyon as well? Personally, I don't want to hear them (the kids) after they have been in the car all day.

I'm game for any of the the other runs listed as well. Golden spike (I'll go with you Steve) and Hells revenge are on my list of to do's.

Perhaps we can settle on the dates and then work out the details? I'm in no matter what we end up doing.

Graham

I may be in for this...I am in a small group of 4Runner guys in the SW who try to get to Moab during that time of the year each year.

I will watch this tread develop and put my $.02 in when appropriate.

Camping out on Elephant hill sounds good to me...

I think wheeling over E Hill and staying a night at Devil's Kitchen is one of the best experiences the Canyonlands area has to offer. It's not a problem to break camp at DK, head to Moab, and still have time for one of the shorter trails before dinner.

In the absense of a major anti-tent camping uprising, I suggest the idea stay on the table.

DEBBIL's KITCHEN!!!!!!!!!!! No place can compare to waking up there! I slept in a little crevice between the rocks, it was the best sleep I ever had outdoors/ waking up was the best

I'd love to go. I'm fine with leaving on a Wed and coming back on a Monday. Danise is homeschooling Colin so we're not bound by the public school schedule. I won't know what kind of conflicts there will be with my school schedule until we get closer to the planned dates. My vehicle capabilities will have to be considered though. Maybe I could at least built a rear bumper by then - the one I was planning to build around Christmas last year. We're fine with tent camping. I don't know anything about the trails around Moab so can someone point me to a site that describes them and their levels of difficulty?

Here's a list of trails: http://www.rr4w.com/trails.html

Sounds like you have plenty for that idea then: Jon S, Mike M, Marc, Greg, and ?.

If we can sync up with Jim and the 4Runner group, or we get a couple more that don't want to camp out there, we can split up that day. Maybe we can do Golden Spike and something else those days, and some others can do easier runs.

You can add me to the camp out crew.

Steve, Don't go doing Golden Spike again without me. After the wheeling into camp, the kids and wife may want to hang around town so I can go do the harder trails with you.

Graham

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom