Columbian 1994 FZJ73 Dana 60 Rear Brake Drum Solution (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.billstengel.com
Hello!
My rear drums are toast (surprise surprise) and the drums P/N Partsouq is showing for Columbian trucks with a Dana 60 rear axle is 4243160050.

It’s available via Amayama and Megazip but I’m weighing options.
To anyone's knowledge, are there any substitutions for this part?
Thanks!

Edit:
Megazip cancelled my order.
Placed an order with Amayama but I'm fully expecting for them to cancel as well.

Last edited:
Hello,

The Dana 60s on Colombian/Venezuelan trucks can use Toyota parts.

You can proceed with OEM. There is no need for substitutions.

Juan

Last edited:
For the Columbian FZJ73 Dana 60 rear axle community, however small it may be:
Dave @Japan4X4 reported that in his research, Toyota is no longer producing this part (4243160050).
Partsouq and Toyota DXB (the latter of which I've never used before but came up in a google search of the part number) said they no longer stock it.

Megazip and Amayama both report that they stock them so I placed an order through Megazip – they took payment and say that the order has been received but I won't take either of those as absolute confirmation until I have a tracking number for shipment.

These drums being NLA isn't a surprise, given how seemingly niche these Columbian/Venezuelan trucks are and this part wasn't applied to any other Toyota vehicle probably due to the Dana rear axle being unique to the region.

I guess the next step would be to get accurate measurements of the new part to see if there is a non-OEM solution out there. A rear axle swap is also an option, I suppose.

Hello,

That Mercado Libre supplier could be an option if he can ship from Venezuela to the US at a reasonable price.

Could part 42431-60150 be an option?

Juan

Last edited:
An update.
Megazip cancelled my order last night because the part is NLA and therefore no longer in stock. Amayama took an order but I have marginal hopes that the order will go through.

@JuanJ I wasn’t able to start an account with Mercado Libre because I am in the US so that’s a nonstarter, unfortunately. Is the alternate part you mentioned from a 60-series axle?

I would be willing to bet you can simply swap what you need for new over the country chevy truck brake parts, it is still a Dana afterall.

An update.
Megazip cancelled my order last night because the part is NLA and therefore no longer in stock. Amayama took an order but I have marginal hopes that the order will go through.

@JuanJ I wasn’t able to start an account with Mercado Libre because I am in the US so that’s a nonstarter, unfortunately. Is the alternate part you mentioned from a 60-series axle?

Hello,

The part number is from a GCC FZJ73 Series. PartSouq says it is in stock.

Maybe it is worth a try.

Juan

I would be willing to bet you can simply swap what you need for new over the country chevy truck brake parts, it is still a Dana afterall.
Thanks for this, @RHINO I was thinking of taking this approach but looking at Mopar.
Any guidance on what to look at, at least to start? Anything with a 6-bolt Dana60 rear end? I know nothing about Chevy from a parts standpoint.

Ultimately, I need to get measurements of the drums and go through parts catalogs.
I want to figure this out so it's documented for other suckers -- I mean SA FZJ73 owners.

I just tested positive for the rona so I have a week to kill.
):

First, good luck getting over the Rona.

I have to assume they are using standard chevy type stuff, i could be wrong and it could be maybe metric versions? But take a drum off and compare it to a chevy 6 bolt drum, keep in mind the axle might be Dana 60 for weight capacity but the brake could be 1/2-3/4 or 1ton stuff.

I have absolutely no clue since I have no experience with the version you have, but it sure seems worth a try.

Hello,

The part number is from a GCC FZJ73 Series. PartSouq says it is in stock.

Maybe it is worth a try.

Juan
Thanks @JuanJ
I am working on getting measurements from the shop and will take that route in finding something that works. There has to be an alternate part out there.
They tried 60-series drums which didn't work.

Last edited:
Amayama cancelled my order because drums are no longer available from Toyota.

On to the search for a viable replacement. It may take a bit but at least it won’t cost $700 for a pair of cast iron drums.

Onward!

What about 42431-60070?

This site appears to claim the part number above is the same as 42431-60050. And it has measurements too.

AUTOTEC EBS - Products - BRAKE DRUM - https://www.autotec.com.cn/product/info?code=14423

1810E058-5AB2-43F9-B825-A000778939C4.jpeg

What about 42431-60070?

This site appears to claim the part number above is the same as 42431-60050. And it has measurements too.

AUTOTEC EBS - Products - BRAKE DRUM - https://www.autotec.com.cn/product/info?code=14423

View attachment 2944349
Thanks for digging this up, @FJ73Texas
Photos of my drums show that they are convex on the out-facing surface so I’m not sure if these will work. I haven’t gotten the dims from Red Line yet so I haven’t been able to do any searching.

70A8D94D-056B-43DF-A4A8-BEA6225F3872.jpeg
671202CA-A500-4AC0-8A30-5F5122423AA1.jpeg
3BB1E2A3-D431-4D13-BDFF-CDD7AE2B07E4.jpeg

Last edited:
just looked back into my VZ shade tree build. I put new drums on it. Not sure where I got them from.... typically I put part numbers in the build. I will go back in the shoebox of receipts and see... pretty sure they were sourced in US.

1646687046930.png

found it.... I have lots of info on the rear brakes and well every frickin' other broken system (all of them) on this thread.

1646687224654.png

Got your pm that you are trying to match the dished out look of the ones you took off, but really , who can tell you that what you have is stock, oem? I would get one of these, maybe from a local supplier and see if they work. If not, return them. But mine fit perfect and was the same central american stupid a$$ non toyota axle you have..... Having said that, DANA company was awesome to get information from.... so I wish them no evil spirits.

any update???? did it work?

This is why I just replace the whole axle with a FJ60 axle :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom