Colorado wheeling? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.tripleplate.com
Any one up for some wheeling somewhere in that state between the dates of July 26th and August 5th. I'm planning on running some trails in the Aspen/Crested Butte area then moving down toward the San Juans with the intention of running Black Bear, Imogene, and maybe a couple of others. So far, I might have an FJ 40 tagging along for Pearl Pass, but it would be fun to meet up with some others. Let me know, my dates are flexible. It is a vacation after all. 8)

H,

I'll be in that area sometime after the 1st, my plans are still flexible at this point. I'll probably be hanging around in that area for about a week recreating in various forms.

Yooper, thanks for the contact, BTW, if I get my truck put back together tommorrow, I'll bring it up this weekend. Maybe Friday or Saturday we can do a bit of wheeling.

[quote author=upcruiser link=board=4;threadid=2591;start=0#msg27036 date=1058314625]
...Maybe Friday or Saturday we can do a bit of wheeling.
[/quote]

Sounds good. I can probably sneak away for a short one. Saturday evening for sure.

Here's the beta.... :D

Meeting on Saturday, August 2, 2003 at the Avalanche Coffee House in Silverton Colorado, 1061 Blair Street, at 0830-0900 hours. Channel 17 on the 'ol CB will be monitored.

Schedule is to do Black Bear Pass to Telluride, lunch in Telluride, then Imogene Pass to Ouray....from there, who knows! Stock Cruisers of all makes can do these runs. Full Day....

Be prepared for high altitude conditions and mountain weather, including possible snow (I've done Black Bear in a snowstorm in July...) Food/Water/Gas is available in Silverton and Telluride. I'll brush up on my history of the area...

PM either Upcruiser or me if you're planning on meeting us, just so we don't leave without you... we'll get you some cell #s etc.

-H-

Hmmm....Is that anywhere near Gunnison? I'm too lazy to look at a map right now. :D I will be finishing up a fly fishing trip down in Lake City about that time, might be a great way to spend a Saturday. My 97 is fully stock but with 285's and no running boards, no lockers. You say no problem on these trails?

Yup, no problems. They'll be a couple of lines you'll have to look at closely, and watch your cats, but otherwise you're cool and the gang...

Thinking about doing Uncompaghre (sp?) peak outside of Lake City myself.... 8)

-H-

I'm was planning on climbing Uncompahgre myself, either the day before, or day after our little excursion. The last time I was there I did Handies peak, and got pinned above tree line in one of the worst lightning storms I've ever experienced :eek: :eek:

BDerks, I'll be coming though Gunnison from Aspen by way of Pearl Pass if your interested, also will be running some trails around Crested Butte/Gunnison sometime between the 27th-29th. :D

I will be in Crested Butte with a few others from 8/9 to 8/14. I would be very interested in hearing about your trip. We are towing our 75' FJ40 from Tx, meeting with my son from OK with his 97' TJ and my brother from Denver with his 66' FJ40. I am unfamiliar with the various passes/trails in that area. Any info. you can share is appreciated.
Thanks.
Chuck Edwards

On the 26th i'll be running Crystal Mountain, it's a bit north of where you said you'll be but just thought i'd offer, real fun trail! :D Brad 970-290-1627

Hilltooper -
Are you still planning on meeting in Silverton on Saturday morning? We may try to make it, depending on how the fishing is around Lake City. I'm looking at a map right now, but it's only a small atlas and not very detailed - is there any direct route from Lake City to Silverton? I'd like to avoid having to drive 150 miles all the way around to there, when it's only about 25 miles as the crow flies.

Yup, still on! The most direct way from Lake City to Silverton is over Engineer Pass! Lucky You! If you PM me an address or fax #, I can get you a more detailed map. It's a really nice route, unless it's 2am after rescuing a hydrolocked Ford and you're caught in a thunderstorm with a broken ankle...but I digress to earlier trips to the area... :-\

Anyway, the route is about 20 miles as I recall, and will be easy for a landcruiser. Very scenic, and can even be done safely at night. It takes you past Animas Forks and into Silverton. The route is pretty well marked by the BLM.

-H-

Great! I just PM'd you with email/fax. I just pulled out my topo map of Lake City, and think I see the road you're talking about, looks great. I'm going to try and make it, sounds like too much fun to miss out on. How many guys are going now? Remember, you're not allowed to make fun of the stock LC from Kansas... :D

Also, what do I need to bring? I'll have rain/cold weather gear with me, a tow strap, basic tool set, extra oil/coolant. Anything else you can think of? Looking forward to it.

Excellent! I'll get you the maps asap. So far it's just Up, myself and you. Sounds like what you've got in the LC will suffice. Up and I are both 1992s, so make sure that your belts, etc. are in good condition, as the 1FZE and 3FEs aren't interchangable for many parts...

I always carry 2 days of food and water in the rig...just in case.

Make sure to bring some warm clothing, preferably synthetic fleece and the like over cotton, as I've come to expect rain and snow this time of year at the higher elevations. If you're camping, sleeping bags with at least a rating of 20-30 degrees F are a must. Additionally, be sure to hydrate and be prepared for some headaches and nausea for the first couple of days, as well... you aren't in Kansas anymore... and may have some symptoms of AMS (Acute Mountain Sickness).

I'd recommend picking up a Colorado Search and Rescue card in either Lake City or Silverton. For $3 you get a charge free rescue if necessary; including helo ops. Plus, the $ goes to support CO rescue teams. :D

I'll PM you with more info and the maps!

Cheers,

-H-

Great, thanks for all your help. No problems on the gear, I've been fishing the lakes around Lake City every year since I was a kid, all of which are around 11,000 ft, so I am well prepared for the weather up there. I adjust well to the altitude and have never had any problems.

Try to send the map and contact info by today or tomorrow if you can, as I'm heading out tomorrow night. Not sure if my new cell phone will work up there (T-Mobile), I'll try and get ahold of you next week to let you know if we're going to make it or not. Depends if they're biting well - the trout take priority, ya know? :D

bderks

It'll probably be tomorrow morning... I've been dealing with some last minute motion filings today :mad:

Gotta feed someone to the dogs, don't ya know! Er... I mean feed the dogs! ;)

A cb radio will be very useful, by the way!

-H-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom