1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colorado Sand Dunes

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by dtrout, Aug 11, 2005.

1. dtrout

dtrout

Headed down to the sand dunes with the family this weekend and wondering if anyone knows anything about the Medano Pass Primitive Road? Is it worth taking this road, and most important can a stock 100, with a rookie driver go on this road? If there is anything else fun to do down there would appreciate your input. Kids are 2 and 3 so can't be to adventurous yet. Thanks.

2. Gus

Gus SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I was down there last weekend, what a beautifull spot. Zapata falls is worth checking out, very short hike (half a mile) so the little ones will be fine. I'd highly recommend hiking a little way or all the way up the sand dunes, do so in the morning or late afternoon, the sand gets very hot mid day. As for the Medano Pass primitive road, I don't know much about it, all the rigs I saw coming out from that area were stock SUVs and pickups. Get to the camp ground as early as you can, it was full all last weekend, have a great time.

3. dtrout

dtrout

Thanks Gus, maybe a dumb question but, is it worth bringing a sled for the dunes and the kids?

4. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

I live in Alamosa, just about 15-20min away. Medano pass I have never tackled, but it isnt a difficult road. Be sure to air down, sand sucks, there is one water crossing that can be hairy but this time of year it should be real easy.

I guess you could sled on the dunes, probably be kind of fun.

5. 60wag

60wag SILVER Star

The Medano road is beautiful. Its pretty tame by 4x4 standards. The only spot than can be tricky is the sandy area behind the dunes. If you can air down your tires, your all set. In the Spring when the snow is melting, some of the water crossings are quite deep but at this time of year, its no problem.

Bring a sled but don't be surprized if it moves slowly. Some sleads work well and some don't. I haven't figured out what makes for a fast one. I've tele skied on the dunes. It works ok. The west side of the dunes right where the road comes down out of the mountains is the best spot - it the steepest. Have fun.

6. 74fj40

74fj40

if you do bring a sled, bring a metal saucer. or like a cookie sheet. that would probably work great. the dunes are a lot of fun