Colorado Rust? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Do you Colorado folx see much of a problem with rust? Specifically Greater Denver area...

Part of considering whether a SoCal CPO '04 with 45K miles is worth a $3K (list price) premium over a CO CPO '04 with 60K.

As always...thanks! :cheers:

I don't live in Colorado, but I am originally from the north where the snow blows every winter. Unless the vehicle remained well kept, washed off underneath as well as a regular fresh water rinse regularly, you will probably encounter rust.

Would be nice if chemists came up with a substitute for salt to get the snow and ice off the roads. Dunno about you all, but I think the government should give a rust rebate each year to counteract the extra diminish in the life of vehicles in areas where salt is used on the roads. If that happened, those chemists would be busy...... :D

I'm not an authority since I usually don't keep my cars for very long... but generally speaking, Denver is about is dry as it gets so rust is not too common.
The only problem may be from mag chloride for de-icing. I think it's pretty hard on paint, etc. but I'm not aware of a big rust problem because of it.

My 2000 has 101K on it and no rust anywhere. It has spent its whole life in and around Denver.

Due to the dry climate and sanded roads; rust is very minimal over a 10 year period. You should be fine.

Would be nice if chemists came up with a substitute for salt to get the snow and ice off the roads. Dunno about you all, but I think the government should give a rust rebate each year to counteract the extra diminish in the life of vehicles in areas where salt is used on the roads. If that happened, those chemists would be busy...... :D
Those chemists did come up with something to replace salt on the roads, magnesium chloride. But the one problem is mag chloride causes things to rust. So weather it's mag chloride or salt there are things that cause rust. As others have said, if you wash the underside after driving in snow/slush there isn't much of a rust problem in Colorado.

I'm not an authority since I usually don't keep my cars for very long... but generally speaking, Denver is about is dry as it gets so rust is not too common.
The only problem may be from mag chloride for de-icing. I think it's pretty hard on paint, etc. but I'm not aware of a big rust problem because of it.

you must not get out much. mag chloride is more corrosive than salt. denver is horrible now that we have that crap.:mad: god forbid foreigners just learn how to drive in the snow.:rolleyes:

I didn't say it was less corrosive than salt... just that I'm not aware of any big rust problems because of it.

But in response to the actual question, rust is usually not an issue with vehicles in Colorado newer than 1985 - rough estimate.
I have not seen rust anywhere on a 100 in Colorado when I was searching.

They stopped using Salt years ago in favor of windshield and hood chipping rocks. Just recently they have devised this Mag-Chloride stuff that keeps our vehicles BLACK unless you wash it off and soon.
Check out the CO vehicle with reasonable certainty that it will not have more rust than a CA vehicle.

CO is a low rust state. Although the mag is nasty and worse than salt for causing corrosion we really don't have that much snow and it never sticks around to the point were the roads are salted every day for months.

My 100 only has rust in the hood chips. Consider a clear 3M hood protector.

CO is a low rust state. Although the mag is nasty and worse than salt for causing corrosion we really don't have that much snow and it never sticks around to the point were the roads are salted every day for months.

My 100 only has rust in the hood chips. Consider a clear 3M hood protector.

I agree, 100's or not I just don't see rusted vehicles in CO. Just got back from a weekend conference in Chicago and I saw rusted vehicles everywhere!

FYI - I have the 3M hood protector and it works great! Easy to apply and most people don't even know it's there.

I agree, 100's or not I just don't see rusted vehicles in CO. Just got back from a weekend conference in Chicago and I saw rusted vehicles everywhere!

FYI - I have the 3M hood protector and it works great! Easy to apply and most people don't even know it's there.

chicago has used salt forever. colorado has only recently used mag chloride and not all jurisdictions use it. i'm lucky enough that if it stay in town, i stay out of mag chloride. they highways are the worst thing when the weather's bad. i watched three different friends' beautiful 70s rigs quickly begin to rot away a year after mag chloride started being used. i watched my bored extorter start rotting after mag chloride was introduced. i've seen a lot more rust on 90s and earlier vintage cars since mag chloride was introduced. i don't look at 100s, so i couldn't help you on those vehicles specifically.

the state tells you to check science to prove that mag cloride isn't corrosive. science will tell you they're correct, it's not corrosive....until exposed to oxygen. mc is known to cause blown power transformers which in turn, creates small grass fires. it coats the electrical wires causing them to overheat. colorado just know, after all the snows this year, wondering what it is doing to the environment after hundreds of duck and fish were found dead near the denver area. shouldn't they have thought about that before they started dumping all this crap? :rolleyes:

ih8magchloride! if people can't drive in snow, they should get the hell out of colorado.

ih8magchloride! if people can't drive in snow, they should get the hell out of colorado.

Mag chloride is a huge safety and efficiency improvement over sand and salt.

No one can drive at efficient traffic clearing speeds without traction.

With ice on the road and everyone going a responsible speed the traffic would never clear. Avoiding the mag is easy. Just stay home on snowy days.

More damage occurs at higher temps so it's important to clean the vehicles after the cold has gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom