Colorado registration and title for HZJ73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mulebarn

GOLD Star
Threads
We recently moved from Washington to Boulder County, Colorado. I haven’t been able to find anything relevant to registering the HZJ73 here on official CO government sites or here on MUD, so I’m wondering if other Coloradans could provide any input as to whether or not there’s any weirdness here, or if it’s simply the 25 year rule like most other states.

Thanks.

Assuming you already have a WA title, it shouldn’t be too bad. You’ll need a VIN verification—I got mine at the Toyota dealer. And you’ll need a diesel emissions test—there’s a place on E Arapahoe, one in Longmont, and another in Broomfield. BUT, and it’s a big but, before you get your emissions test, you’ll need to have the truck inspected by the State to confirm it’s engine and emissions equipment are in “original unmodified condition”. They’ll issue you a form— I forget the name of it, but the emissions tester should be able to tell you what it is. AFAIK, you can only get the form in Denver and by appointment.

If you don’t have a WA title, CO will also need copies of the import paperwork. They publish a list online.

In either case, you’ll also need a Bill of Sale or something that confirms the value of the car (for taxes), and proof of insurance.

I was at work when I posted the above--I'm back home now and found the form the emissions testers are supposed to ask for: Colorado Dept of Revenue, Division of Motor Vehicles, Emissions Section, form DR2365, "Vehicle Evaluation". Only place I know to get it is at the Colorado Dept of Public Health and Environment Emission Technical Center at 2450 W. 2nd Ave in Denver. You'll need to make an appointment. They don't do the emissions test there, just the inspection.

The emissions testers I know of in the area are:

S&S Services, Inc., 11705 Teller Street, Suite F, Broomfield. I've usually used this guy. Super nice, professional, and good prices.
Lee Myles Auto Care, 6270 Arapahoe #1, Boulder. I used these guys once when S&S wasn't available. Higher price and they curiously didn't ask for the DR2365. They're supposed to.
Al's Front Range Diesel Emissions, 1115 S Bowen Cir, Longmont. Never used this guy. Price is between the other two, but he was booking about 6 weeks out when I called.

All of this is assuming your address for registering the truck is in the Colorado Motor Vehicle Emission Testing Area, which is shown on this map:

If you're out of that area, no worries, no DR2365, no emissions test. Easy peasy.

If you have to visit:
Colorado Dept of Public Health and Environment Emission Technical Center at 2450 W. 2nd Ave in Denver

Know ahead of time that you will need stamped tags [sealed no-tamper style] on your idle fuel screw and max speed screws to pass - those can be provided by Diesel mechanics, but call ahead as it is very specific.

Again, if you're out of the map, be thankful as it's a bit of a PITA to go through the motions. The actual smog is easy and used Lee Myles Auto Care who were easy to work with and did ask for docs. shrug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom