Colorado plans Silverton July 22nd-26th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Howdy! A little regional update for y'all. This is nothing personal directed to you guys, just a general PSA. In fact, I have a feeling you all will be the ones to set the example for others. Our trails and recreational areas are getting loved to death significantly more than usual. Probably because folks don't have as much flexibility to travel, so everrrrryyyyyyyyone is coming to the Western slope. Take this recent incident for example, right off of Cinnamon Pass outside of Silverton. Please, please, please stay the trail. No offtrail poser IG shots, not even for a "little bit". If you all don't fit in one area together, don't make more room, just move on somewhere else. If it sounds like I'm begging, it's because I am. It's gotten REALLY bad this Summer...

The CO governor is expected to announce a statewide mask mandate this afternoon. While Durango's primary hospital still has ICU capacity, it announced today it now does not have sufficient staffing to meet the current demand.

Monsoon season is teasing us with it's arrival. Firebans still in effect, and bring rain gear!

Howdy! A little regional update for y'all. This is nothing personal directed to you guys, just a general PSA. In fact, I have a feeling you all will be the ones to set the example for others. Our trails and recreational areas are getting loved to death significantly more than usual. Probably because folks don't have as much flexibility to travel, so everrrrryyyyyyyyone is coming to the Western slope. Take this recent incident for example, right off of Cinnamon Pass outside of Silverton. Please, please, please stay the trail. No offtrail poser IG shots, not even for a "little bit". If you all don't fit in one area together, don't make more room, just move on somewhere else. If it sounds like I'm begging, it's because I am. It's gotten REALLY bad this Summer...

The CO governor is expected to announce a statewide mask mandate this afternoon. While Durango's primary hospital still has ICU capacity, it announced today it now does not have sufficient staffing to meet the current demand.

Monsoon season is teasing us with it's arrival. Firebans still in effect, and bring rain gear!
I agree all these darn Texans coming up here. j/k I think this crew is probably one of the most respectful around, but it never hurts to remind everyone. I am also hoping the rain continues to roll. Evergreen got super lucky this week with rain helping to quickly tame a fire very close to town.

thanks karen.

Appreciate the PSA. Maybe you'll have time to come up for a day or two and run some trail and get to know some us. You'll come to know that we have common sense, roll with respect; and Tread Lightly. We're a mindful group.

Appreciate the PSA. Maybe you'll have time to come up for a day or two and run some trail and get to know some us. You'll come to know that we have common sense, roll with respect; and Tread Lightly. We're a mindful group.

I believe it. Again, its nothing personal towards this group, but things have gotten so incredibly out of hand this year. Its just got to be said now.

I wouldnt be surprised if access becomes limited by next season.

We need some HIH shirts that say "Stay the Trail or Stay Home" maybe with an optional "...you selfish [or clueless] bastards".

This thread is pretty entertaining. We were just there last week. Wife got a new 4runner and we took it out. Ran governors basin, Imogene, and another trail. I can say, trails were beautiful. Imogene was nuts on the Telluride side, the tour trucks and others... I mean we had -0- room to spare and they wanted by.... I get it, up hill has right away.... but when there is 1000’ to my side and backing up against a wall is only option..... the guy coming up, can back up with ALOT more safely.
The trails were cake as far as traction, we learned crawl control, that feature is a dream.

Towns were practicing mask and distancing.. up to your own. Be safe and enjoy.

Would it make sense to plan out who will be where each morning? Or maybe designate a trail for each day? I know we don't want to have groups that are too big or seem too much like an organized event, but I also want to make sure we can meet up.

We just got back from a trip to Ouray. Everything is open trail wise and business wise. Masks are required (and everyone was pretty much following the rule) and limited capacity at restaurants. 1-2hr wait at peak times at some restaurants.

We were there during the week and pretty much every hotel and campground was full.

If you are dispersed camping remember Stage 1 fire restrictions are in place for pretty much all of CO.

Be safe and enjoy!

full

Any suggestions for areas to look for dispersed camping in or around Silverton / Ouray? We’re planning to camp in the area Thursday night and Sunday night. In the past when we’ve gone alone we’ve had a hard time finding available areas for dispersed.

As for trails, we’ll probably be doing Alpine Loop on Saturday, and are up for some shorter trail days on Friday or Sunday.

Family of 5 here with kids between 5-9. We’ll be on CB & GSMR.

Would it make sense to plan out who will be where each morning? Or maybe designate a trail for each day? I know we don't want to have groups that are too big or seem too much like an organized event, but I also want to make sure we can meet up.
I think a daily meet up at the gas station south of town would work as a gathering point. People with different trail interests could partner up and head out in small groups in their desired directions. Getting a reasonably early start makes a difference, suggest 730 -8.

I arrive Wednesday and will run trail Thurs to Sun.

I think a daily meet up at the gas station south of town would work as a gathering point. People with different trail interests could partner up and head out in small groups in their desired directions. Getting a reasonably early start makes a difference, suggest 730 -8.

I arrive Wednesday and will run trail Thurs to Sun.

Gas station seems like the best meeting point to me, 7:30-8:00 is a good window too. I'll be getting in Wednesday and doing trails Thurs through Sunday too. My tentative plan is:

Thurs: Engineer
Fri: Black Bear
Sat: Hurricane
Sun: Imogene

(We’re starting to head in that general direction)

Black bear is bound to be busy not sure of Fri is any worse than Thursday.

Mineral Creek to Engineer is a nice run
and Im planning to do Stony Pass to Kite Lake at some point

Any suggestions for areas to look for dispersed camping in or around Silverton / Ouray? We’re planning to camp in the area Thursday night and Sunday night. In the past when we’ve gone alone we’ve had a hard time finding available areas for dispersed.

As for trails, we’ll probably be doing Alpine Loop on Saturday, and are up for some shorter trail days on Friday or Sunday.

Family of 5 here with kids between 5-9. We’ll be on CB & GSMR.
Not sure. Don't really know that area that well for dispersed camping.

We have shut our shop down in Austin so I think the wife and kids and I are hopping in the car Wednesday and driving up there. (Why not?). We're in the same boat in regards to looking for dispersed camping. The Rio Grande reservoir has great campsites at the thirty mile campground and Lost Creek but it's on the Creede side of Stony Pass, so we'd still be 4 hours by trail from Silverton.

I'd really like to be able to be closer to the action if possible. The current plan is to drive to the area Wednesday night, them go in search of some dispersed sites Thursday morning. If anyone has some recommendations please let me know, but I'll try and report back findings as I search them out.

We’ve made it.

Our LX has already made a new friend in the parking lot. :)

1595382271778.jpeg

(Also saw a silver LC with CO plates and an Ironman front bumper on the "main drag". @Austin Hot Shoe maybe?)

Last edited:
Camped east end of Silverton. Trying to meet up with Nakman. Will probably be out n about today. My 100 couldn’t make the trip this time so I’m in my green 80. I’ll keep my eyes peeled for other Land Cruisers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom