Colorado: Ouray 4x4 trip report (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ireland; USA (WA,CO, CA, CT), Scotland, London
Website
twitter.com
Ouray (SW Colorado) 4x4 trip and High Desert Cruisers (http://www.hdcruisers.org/ New Mexico)
Trails: Black Bear, Imogene, Engineer's, Cinnamon, Corkscrew, California, Poughkeepsie, Yankee Boy Basin

Thurs 15th July:
Was a long drive down to Ouray from Louisville (N. Denver) approx 360 miles but took us approx 7.5 hours with pit stops for fuel and snacks (+kids :) Following Robbie in his over-bored 80 (he was running 35") was no easy task on long hill climbs (and me in small 265's).

We split S of Ouray where we headed up FR 361/869/853 to the W and looked for a camp spot. Robbie headed off to go find the NM boys who were supposed to be camping up Corkscrew Gulch.

We headed up the trail expecting to find some nice camp spots but the early ones were pretty small, not fit for a group site (for next night) and looked full. The trail is an easy grade 2 but has some very steep drop-offs into the valley. We ventured further up and went off towards Yankee Boy Basin and nice scenery plus old mining ruins but the camping spots were the tiniest I'd every seen. You might just get a small tent in between the bushes but that was it; and this was a paid forestry site!

We eventually headed up the Imogene trail and camped at a lovely spot, which we think was Camp Bird (or upper). It had an old log cabin, stream, small meadow and waterfalls. Beyond that it started climbing up to the pass. This was approx 35 mins from Ouray whereas b4 we left I expected to camp about 15 mins out but the scenery was worth it and plenty of space for the rest of group tomorrow night.

Fri:
Black Bear Pass is rated as difficult in Charlie Well?s book and indicates it is "based on the tightness and steepness of the switchbacks into Telluride rather than on the condition of the road. It is extremely dangerous and for experienced drives only. Road closed Nov to end Apr and switchbacks near Telluride are one way."

Meet up with the others on route 550 about 13 miles south of Ouray at Red Mountain Pass summit. We initially thought that the others had gone ahead (as we were late getting there) and ventured down the trail a little (passing a load of jeeps and quads). However seeing no signs of the group ahead we turning back and found Robbie back at the meet up area. Turned out the others were late getting going and was another while before they all turned up (as they had to pack up their tents etc.).

In their group was two 40's (David and Ashley Lawrence, Larry and Pierette Gorman), two 62's (Jack Pressler, Shawn Williams, wife Jill with Brock and Kian), two 80's (John and Jenny Evaskovich with their two girls and two dogs, Mike Maynard with his son Ross).

The trailhead is at 11,000ft and is very scenic with the Red Mountains on the E side.
After airing down we headed up the trail and it was very pretty going up the valley. There were two long waterfalls coming down from the snow patches still on the top. As you climbed higher the alpine climate breeds the most amazing dazzle of wild flowers- all different shapes and colors. It was a pleasant climb to the top where we all stopped and enjoyed the fabulous mountain scenery. Lots of pictures and some even played in the snow patches.

Robbie and myself took a little steep down slope on the other side (not as bad as Red Cone's descent :) while the others took the scenic route. Stopped for lunch near a pond and kids played while we had a light rain shower.
The trail meandered down the valley and for a while u were hugging the side of the mountain with a steep drop-off on your left. Still some snow banks on your right edge but main path clear.

Continued and further on we started the toughest part of the trail. Up this point maybe a 3-4 rating. However now started very sharp descent, rocky but not loose, narrow ledge with looong drop-offs. The view ahead was Telluride away in the distance and a long way down. Had some unnecessary negative CB chatter that didn't help with some of the less experienced wheelers. This is not a trail for those afraid of heights or who can lose concentration. Some moms and kids got out and walked aways down (good choice).

Negotiated down to a flat section where a steam came down on the left, across the track and then plunged down over the edge (into the abyss !). There was also a mining ruin where it looked as if they had a cable down to the bottom below (long way). From here we also could see Bridal Veils below us (which has a stream gushing out of its foundations - at least appears that way). We stopped for a while as we had very heavy rain (but in hindsight should have kept going as it didn't lighten up and made trail sloppier).
My wife indicated that if we got down to the bottom safely she would kill me; for taking her thru this "scenic trail" (p.s. don't mess with an Irishwoman)

From here down to below Bridal Veils there were several very tight and sharp switchback bends and with the longer wheelbase trucks this took some maneuvering. Robbie was busy running down and spotting. One turn required some back and forth and several trucks had their rear end slip on this. It can be a bit disconcerting to drive to the cliff edge and see nothing but a long way down (brakes need to 100% on this trail) and then reverse back and do that twice more before u've got around the bend.

Bridal Veils is spectacular but at this stage with the heavy rain and realization of what we got thru (without any mishaps and what might have been) we didn't take many pictures and continued. As u can guess CB chatter was very quite and subdued. Still were several more switchbacks but trail widened quite a bit and meet some traffic on way up.

In Telluride we had planned for some lunch and shop around but after descent everyone wanted to move on as we had to get over Imogene to camp on other side. Took a little back and forth to find the start of trail (off dead-end street Tom Boy/Oak) but all started up ok.

This trail was a lot easier (after Black Bear what won't be?) and made it up and over to camp spot and low and behold our tent was still there. However the spot we picked had turned into a mud pit with all the rain! Everyone setup tent and got a good fire going and settled down for dinner/chat and relaxing.

Steve Hemphill (wife Wendy) came into camp that evening in his 80 and brought Mike?s wife Connie. Jon Stewart also arrived in his built-up 85 4Runner.

Sat:
We (+Robbie) had decided to stay put (camp-wise) but the NM boys were moving on. Packed up after breakfast and headed up towards Poughkeepsie. We dawdled around camp and then into Ouray for awhile (may even had gone to the hot springs?) and then headed up towards Poughkeepsie. Had to drive up a little of Engineer Pass and then turn off S. we found the gang up near the end of the gulch as the going started getting interesting. Up to that point it was some rocky sections with several stream crossing ?maybe 3 rating.

Spent a couple of hours here while some of them tried getting up. One path was a steep loose climb that required plenty of momentum and needed a bump over a rock on a bend before you could get up to the top. The other required some tactful negotiation of some steep rock ledges to get up. Different routes were tried by different trucks and required varying tactics (including winching).

While we were there a large group of bikers and quads (plus a an old long Suburban - backup
crew!) came down. Approx four adults and six+ kids. One of the kids couldn't stay awake. Apparently he had rolled his quad further back and it went over him and his passenger. Both were wearing protective gear so were unhurt but it took the wind (and enthusiasm) out of them. After awhile the Dad was able to get him going again.

Also after Dave and Robbie went up the rock ledge a Hummer H2 who had just come down decided he'd give it a go. After 3-5 attempts he gave up (his wife wasn?t too happy as it was her truck and he was just taking them out for a scenic spin :) and continued back down the trail. Some of the group decided to come back with us to camp rather than going further. The rest were going to camp up a little further. (The following day when we did Hurricane, Corkscrew we could see down into Poughkeepsie and the obstacle was near the very top of the trail and close to a pretty lake). We (Lally's, Robbie, Jack, Mike, Shawn) headed back to Ouray and managed to get a nice meal (although a little costly -but what do u expect from a tourist town :)
Interesting note: we parked downtown on a side street and just as everyone was out of their cars and heading towards the main street there was a humongous noise and we all jumped. Turned out (group consensus) that a lightning bolt had struck the town hall spire, which was right beside us. As u can imagine we all rather quickly moved on and got under shelter before a sudden and heavy downpour got us soaked.

We headed back to camp in the dark (with Robbie leading us on a swift return) and much easier to drive without looking (in the dark!) at the steep drop-offs.

Sun:
NM boys headed out after breakfast and head S thru Silverton and maybe try to meet up with the rest of the gang. My good lady decided to have a rest day with the kids and catch up on some reading.
Robbie/Robin/Tye and myself heading off to do the Alpine loop and up Engineers. It is a little S out of Ouray and then heads W. Initial section is quite rocky (4-5) and not far up we meet a Jeep Liberty in some difficulty (street tires etc.). His DS rear tire had slipped down into a gulley section (with long slide down) and was basically stranded (no gear or know how). Pulled him out (no tow hook points on it?) and he headed back down.

Pulled behind two Jeeps further up who were going slow (well compared to Robbie everyone is) and took awhile to get past. That was fine but further on we got stuck behind a group of 16+ (mainly Jeeps) and tuned in to their chatter. Was a good 20 mins b4 we got past.

At this stage we were close to the top (13K ft) and the scenery was even more spectacular than Black Bear. Was a lot of mine remnants scattered thru the hillsides. We drove a little further up and come out on a vista point called "Oh Point". What was surprising was the amount of grass at this elevation (some snow patches) and lots of flowers. It was cold at the top but managed to see some grazing sheep herds in the distance (quite unusual).

As we headed down the trail got easier and passed a pristine log cabin for sale for only $489K. For those interested it was at 11,450ft and had a suspension bridge across a little ravine into it. All logs with a green roof. On 5 acres with satellite phone, wood stove, solar, 2000 gallons propane tanks and backup diesel generator. Nice for a mountain detour if u can afford it.

The road down was pretty flat and 'cruised' down at a fast pace into Lake City. It?s a lovely old small preserved western town with all the trappings to keep a tourist happy. Had lunch and some nice ice cream while looking at a western play in the park. Came back via Cinnamon Pass which was mostly by the river and very pleasant. Easy ride up to Animas Forks where road branches and is an old ghost mining town. Spent some time looking thru old houses.
Decided to head up California Pass to Hurricane Pass then Corkscrew Gulch back to 550 to Ouray and back to camp.

The drive up the valley was very pretty and with lots of grass, nice flowers and some snow on the mountains it looked a lot like the Scottish highlands (well without the rain :).
Again the views from the top were exceptional (getting spoilt) and could see down into Poughkeepsie Gulch and Lake Como at the top was a very deep blue/green and offset by the reddish color of the mountains. Passed a very squashed white pickup which either rolled from the top or became the victim of an avalanche. It was not much more than the height of the wheels.

Headed thru Hurricane Pass and then over to Corkscrew where the Red Mountains (and how they got their name) stood out. Trail was easy enough but could be challenging with some snow. Descending Corkscrew ?which was steep and some tight bends. Would be interesting trying to get up if it turned muddy. Back to 550 and got stuck behind 'careful' tourist traffic (there are some shear drops off the road and often no railings) into Ouray. This area is known as the Switzerland of America. Back to camp and demolished dinner later that night. Gill and kids all survived the day without getting eaten by any bears (mosquitoes another story).

Mon:
Packed up after breakfast and Robbie departed earlier to go via Glenwood Springs (with a dip in the hot springs).
We came back via Gunnison and branched off N via Pitkin to Taylor Lake and up over Cottonwood pass. It was the easier trail I'd ever been on. Would rate it 0-1 and better than some paved roads. Very nice views from top looking back W. Had pleasant lunch in forest and managed to tighten my a/c belt as was whining so much had to turn off. On other side it was actually paved all the way down into Buena Vista. Rest of drive home was uneventful besides catching some rainbows!

All in all a great trip, long trip down/back, good company and some great trails.
Website and pics will follow any day (or year) soon :)

Lal (a little wiser and now realise what my wife's criteria is for a 4x4 camping trip :)

PS Last week a couple (Allen and Sue Huntington in their 50s) from Missouri (and two boys) died when their Jeep rolled off Black Bear. They were reported to be experienced 4wheelers and had pulled in to let someone pass. When they tried to get back onto the track their truck rolled.
descent_top_black_bear_email.jpg
bridal_veils_robbie_email.jpg

last one was poughkeepsie gulch

this one is descending into telluride.

Hummer H2 attempt

at top of Poughkeepsie Gulch

sorry but some of pics are not going up (eventhough it says they are aleady uploaded ?)

Meetup at Red Mountain Pass

before heading up to Black Bear

Robbie heading down Black Bear

just a little bit steep. Telluride in the background

awesome write up and pics! Hope you have more pics to show!

Love the pic of the wags and 40 on the pass. Great trail writeup & pics. Thought I was in CO for a minute!

I think I saw some of you guys when I was leaving Silverton. What a great place. Cant wait for next year

Temps were cool at night but nice (not cold) with a fire going. During the day is was nice (maybe up 90 70-75f max). I think all the showers keeping drop the temp down but very plesant.
Being Irish I loved all that rain ! However some people weren't too crazy about it as we descended Black Bear :)

you'll have to look me up next year. I live in silverton and have parts if you need.

I'm bumping this great thread just cause :)
Actually I want to do this trip this year. I understand the fall colors are amazing too- is there a month or time of year that is less crowded?

I am thinking of late summer but before weather becomes an issue. I would like to catch the fall colors maybe

You may want to contact/pm fj803fe in durango(hangs on the 80's list). He may have a good handle on when the colors turn in the high country. Brendens family and my family meeting up with the crew from NM was a lot of fun, even the rain on the down side of Black Bear. Just one of the many places we have shared in this great state of Colorado. later robbie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom