Colorado Emissions - Pre-75 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Went to the DMV today to get plates for the 55 (Colorado, Boulder county) and the dmv person said I need to get a tail pipe test before I can get registered. Even though I have a 1972, is that true? Or should I try my luck with another DMV? Anyone have any experience like this?

I think even if you go with a collector plate (5 year) you’d have to pass. And then test again on the 5th year. Otherwise, you could be looking at testing annually with a regular plate. I was under the impression if it was older than 75 that you would be exempt.

I did a little digging and it appears if you get a collector plate (5yr) being a 72, you wouldn’t have to test. If you average it out the 5yr would be cheaper than the total for 5 annual registrations.

I'm running a '74 FJ55 in Co. Never had to get a smog check. Talk to someone else at the DMV

20190902_112334.jpg

Don't know that you have to, but it's cheaper and cooler

I'm running a '74 FJ55 in Co. Never had to get a smog check. Talk to someone else at the DMV

View attachment 2818427

Quick searched showed how much cash was needed to be spent on emissions to pass based on a year range. Didn't necessarily show a year cut off. AZ use to have a rolling twenty year emissions requirement for area that do emissions. Think I got a pass for a few years on my 68 until they moved back to.1967. Been at 67 since. We do have a classic option but for now keep them registered where they are kept in a non emissions part of the state. My fear is it will slowly expand to include the entire state. Things really aren't getting better for older vehicles like you would expect. Like the bumper sticker. Didn't realize that chain was still around. Probably been forty years I seen one.of those stores.

@Romer may have some wisdom to impart here?

@Romer may have some wisdom to impart here?
If you just go and register you will have to get emissions and register every year along with a test every year or other year

If you (with a pre 1975) go in and register specifically as a collector vehicle there is no emissions and the 5 year plate isn't expensive. They do ask you to guarantee you wont use it from more than 4500 miles a year, but that dont do anything to validate that

It isnt my DD so I never get close to 4500 miles a year in any case

Trying to find the pricing guidelines for vintage plates, about how much did y'all pay for the 5 years registration/plates?
$332 for 5 years and never having to have an emissions test :)

I believe it’s 75 and older that gets a pass on testing with the collector plate. I have to test every 5th year, mine is a 79.
Thats what I said in Post #11 :)

and cool, I am in your Avatar:beer: 3rd from the right

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom