Wanted Colorado - 2 Groove Water Pump Pulley (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking for a two groove water pump pulley for solid fan (no fan clutch). The two groove pulley is approximately 3" deep. I believe these came on 75-79 FJ40/FJ55 without a clutch fan. Thanks.

.jpg

MSYC0466.JPG

I don't have any extra pulleys, my comment is on the metal fan, you should replace it with the fixed plastic one.

I don't have any extra pulleys, my comment is on the metal fan, you should replace it with the fixed plastic one.
Why? I have complete short water pump, pulley, fan clutch and plastic fan from a 1984 FJ60, but they will not work with the 1971 fan shroud.

Why? I have complete short water pump, pulley, fan clutch and plastic fan from a 1984 FJ60, but they will not work with the 1971 fan shroud.
Replacing the old fatigued metal fan it's always a good idea. They have a propensity to grenade and make a real mess of the engine bay. Installing a later model plastic version does not look aesthetically the same, it will work the same but without the potential hazard.

By the way on your dual pulley you want both grooves to be the same size/width ?

Cheers
KevO

Last edited:
Replacing the old fatigue metal fan it's always a good idea. They have a propensity to grenade and make a real mess of the engine bay. Installing a later model plastic version does not look aesthetically the same, it will work the same but without the potential hazard.

By the way on your dual pulley you want both groups to be the same size correct?

Cheers
KevO
Thank you for the heads up! I did not know these fans like to grenade.

I am trying to correct a fan belt alignment issue when installing a 1984 2F engine in a 1971 FJ40. I installed the deeper water pump so the fan would clear the 2F harmonic balancer which has an additional fan belt groove than the original F engine. The deeper water pump pushes the 1971 F water pump pulley out about an inch so it no longer aligns with the alternator. I believe the double water pump pulley will align the inner groove with the alternator pulley. The outer pulley groove on the water pump would not be used. The pulleys I have are for wider fan belts.

My other option is to install the original F harmonic balancer which has 1 less belt groove (shallower depth) and buy a short water pump which was the original F engine setup. I thought swapping the water pump pulley would be easier consider what I currently have. I appreciate your assistance or insite!

Sometimes you can move the flange on the water pump in. Can you provide a picture of the water pump without the fan and pulley?
The flange appears to be pressed on. Moving the flange of the water pump in will cause the fan to contact the harmonic balancer pulley.

IMG_2402.JPG

MSYC0466.JPG

this is what can happen with the old metal fans

you use the direct drive plastic fan to replace the metal one.

There should be a spacer (aluminum hockey puck) between your orange fan and the pulley. That spacer can migrate over to the new 2 groove pulley.

There should be a spacer (aluminum hockey puck) between your orange fan and the pulley. That spacer can migrate over to the new 2 groove pulley.
Good to know. No spacer prior to disassembly. Do you have one available? If so, cost for the pulley and spacer?

IMG_0391.jpg

No spacer ? That is a definite harry homeowner adaptation.

I do not have any spacers at this time they are slowly becoming harder and harder to come across. I do believe that marks off road has some. I believe he's the one that had a machine shop make a bunch up. Reasonably priced too if I remember right.

I am asking $55 for the pulley + $10 shipping. I accept PayPal.

Cheers
KevO

I do not have any spacers at this time they are slowly becoming harder and harder to come across. I do believe that marks off road has some. I believe he's the one that had a machine shop make a bunch up. Reasonably priced too if I remember right.

Cheers
KevO
Sounds good, I will take the pulley. I will try to send you a PM?
I thought it was odd not to have a spacer as most fans do. The FJ40 was purchased from the original owner so I know who removed it. My first FJ so I am slowly learning. Great site and I appreciate the expertise!

Cheers
KevO

X2 on Mark @65swb45 he had a "kit" with the spacer, plastic fan and longer bolts. you will need to call him

I have this sitting in front of my shop. Don’t know where this came from, can anyone identify this pulley with spacer

01BC0A0B-DF45-42C8-8F8B-F0B57EC9B15B.jpeg

28D5BCFF-60A0-47FD-9729-9CA119C4E80E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom