SOLD Colorado: 1992 LHD HDJ80 TurboDiesel 5-speed-- Price Reduced (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
Mileage
Color
gray
Edit (5/14/23): I'll be out of the country for a few weeks starting 5/18, so this will need to be on "hold" until I return unless somebody wants to get a deal done before I leave. I've dropped the price a few thousand $$ to incentivize that, but otherwise I'll deal with it when I return at the beginning of June. Thanks.

Here’s a 1992 LHD HDJ80 with an interesting story. It was originally purchased new by a French guy while he was living in Morocco, so it’s a “general market” car, not a European-spec car. When the Frenchman returned home to France, he brought this car with him. It was registered in France since at least 2004 (probably longer, but I don’t have any documentation for that).

Showing 411xxx kilometers (about 255k miles) this one has the 1HD-T 12-valve turbo diesel motor, H151 5-speed manual transmission, and front and rear locking differentials. The interesting thing is that the car is part-time 4-wheel drive (not full-time). The hubs are manual (i.e. you manually turn them from “free” to “lock” to engage the front axles). The transfer case is part-time and is electronically actuated by a switch on the dash to engage the front drive shaft. So the car can be driven in 2WD High range, 4WD High range, or 4WD Low range.

Color is called “Dark Bluish Gray Metallic”, Toyota code 183. It looks more blue in the photos and more gray in person. Good color, but hard to get an accurate photo of it. From what I can tell the paint is original (no obvious signs of a re-spray), but has several bumps, dents, and scratches—call it ”patina”. The paintless dent repair guys could no doubt make it look better if that’s a concern for a buyer. Good news is there’s no rust to speak of. There are little spots of surface rust on the chassis, which is pretty normal for a 30 year old car, but the body is essentially rust-free. Some clear coat fade on the hood and roof.

Interior is gray cloth that’s original and in pretty good condition for its age. Seats are manually adjustable. Has power windows that work, but are slow-ish. Carpets are in good shape, but could use to be pulled and properly cleaned (detergent and a power washer works great, but you need a nice hot sunny day for them to dry out after).

As part of its “general market” heritage, it has no sunroof, and it’s equipped with a factory Toyota sub-tank (auxiliary fuel tank), a raised air intake (snorkel), and quad headlights. It originally had an OEM Toyota electric winch installed, but the PO removed it when he replaced the front bumper due to some damage. I’m including the winch and all the hardware, plus the wiring to mount it (as well as the controller), but the buyer will either need to source a winch bumper (the one with the hole in it) or just cut a hole in the center of the bumper that’s on the car if they want to mount the winch again. BTW, this car is 12 volt throughout—it doesn’t have the 12/24 volt system of the European cars. Since it came from a warm climate, it is not equipped with the ACSD (cold start device). If a buyer lives in a cold place, a block heater might be a good idea for cold starts. Like any diesel with relatively high miles and no cold start feature, it will smoke some until it warms up.

It has a/c, but I’m assuming something’s not working since the PO removed the drive belt for it. All the bits are there, and the compressor spins freely, but the buyer would need to investigate what would be involved to get it blowing cold air again.

Tires are Toyo Open Country M/T 31x10.50R15 in good shape on original 15” Toyota alloy wheels. Spare is the same size, but it’s a Hankook M/T that probably needs to be replaced. Axle ratio is code K294, which is 4.100. That makes the 31” tires about as small as is practical. To keep the diesel’s RPM’s down on the highway, larger diameter tires would probably be better.

Comes with the original owner’s manual (in French), original jack, and a partial original tool kit. Previous owner installed an Old Man Emu lift kit and Koni Raid shock absorbers, which are still on the car but have unknown km’s on them. The ride is firm, but not harsh. Could probably use some more weight, especially in the rear, to be optimal.

Last record of timing belt change was at 380,000km’s (or 31,000km’s ago) in September, 2018. Toyota recommends 100,000km intervals, so that should be OK for a while. I’m hoping to find time to change the oil before the sale, but if I don’t I’ll include a brand new Toyota oil filter for the buyer (you probably want to choose your own oil anyway, right?). I have not pulled the oil pan to check the BEB’s.

Things I’ve noticed that need repaired:

--There were previously some stickers on the paintwork and the paint has faded around where they were. Might be able to buff it out, but for now you can still see where the stickers used to be.

--Right side knuckle is weeping

--There’s a fuel hose (between the primer and the pump) that’s damp—might have a leak, should be replaced.

--Steering wheel is slightly off center when driving—since the alignment seems fine (car doesn’t pull) a drag link adjustment should put it right.

--There is a spot on the upper edge of the drop down tailgate about 2 inches long that has been damaged and poorly repaired (by welding). It would need someone more gifted with a welder than the last guy who tried it, or the tailgate could just be replaced with one from a salvage yard. Or you could live with it.

--Needs a lighter

Asking $29,500

Located in Boulder, CO. Transport recommendations available. CO title paperwork has been submitted—it usually takes the State a couple weeks to get title to me.

PM if interested

front R quarter.jpg
right R quarter.jpg
rear L quarter.jpg
front L quarter.jpg

Last edited:
Also, it appears to have a full float rear axle (with 15” wheels) and rear rear drum brakes?

Such a cool setup with the LHD, e-lockers, 1HD-T diesel, manual 5-speed, auxiliary fuel tank, part-time 4WD, 12-volt, and no sunroof!

Only one that's for sale is the gray one in the ad. The other two are keepers for now.
Which LC in the neighborhood is yours?
Feel free to swing by this weekend. I'll probably be in the yard working on one car or the other.

Any interest in a trade/cash for a locked Collectors Edition? If so glad to discuss a fair scenario for both of us.

IMG_6346.jpeg

IMG_6322.jpeg

Any interest in a trade/cash for a locked Collectors Edition?
Nice Cruiser! I'm not really looking for trades right now (too many cars already), but I doubt you'd have any trouble selling that one. If you want to discuss a cash deal, PM me.

Nice Cruiser! I'm not really looking for trades right now (too many cars already), but I doubt you'd have any trouble selling that one. If you want to discuss a cash deal, PM me.
Sounds good. I’m not interested in selling the collectors edition outright. Just have a soft spot for a LHD 81 and thought the logistics would work out if you were interested. My 80 is in Fort Collins, but will be headed to my place in TX later this summer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom