Color for FJ40 wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Crush 4

SILVER Star
Threads
Newbie here! What is the actual gray color of the FJ 40 steel wheels? Do most of you powder coat them or just spray them share any help thank you

My 2¢ (I'm not an expert)
I personally have not had good luck with powder coat on my past trucks. I like a good epoxy primer/paint job better. Powder coating does not seem to adhere to sheetmetal as well (referencing my experience only). It seems to release and trap water under the "shell" of the coating, then flakes off in big chunks.
Paint isn't as durable against scratches as powder, but it's also much easier to touch up should you get some trail/mall rash on your wheel.
Also a lot of powder coating I've seen does not appear to be UV stable (it gets milky after a year in the sun).

I used bronze duplicolor wheel paint on my last truck (FJ Cruiser) and loved it. I got a lot of compliments and had people follow me a few times to ask me where I got my wheels (creepy). I don't know if they have a gray that is close to the OEM color.

Good luck on your wheels.

There seems to be three main colors. Black, gray, or white. I’ve tried black- no hubcaps, black- with hubcaps, dark gray- no hubcaps, dark gray- with hubcaps, and light gray with and without hubcaps. I like them all,

0AF2520A-3769-4ECC-9E55-3DD15A172294.jpeg

E2282A15-8004-408A-8F49-E34B17C5FF4D.jpeg

61458FD0-B1DB-49BB-8FD8-A8BB62230B11.jpeg

3832F4BA-0242-43C8-B2FD-26EB13D78080.jpeg

2CD95178-47C4-4C83-895C-DF98A21A1CF7.jpeg

Cool who did the widening please?

A guy named Tim Smith in NJ. Wheel works, 606-387-4488. I shipped him the wheels from NY, prepaid for return shipping. He did a good job, you have to coat the welds really well on the inside, otherwise you may get a slow leak. I used rebar epoxy spray, no issues.

I used Krylon K09140000 COVERMAXX Spray Paint, Gloss Smoke Gray from the rattle can on 16" steel wheels from Summit Racing. You can see them in my profile pic. I got the paint for $6 per can. The wheels came primed. I scuffed them up with scotchbright pad, cleaned them with Duplicolor prep spray, wiped them with a tack cloth, and sprayed the outside with two coats of the gray. I'm happy with how they came out.

Krylon or Rustoleum Smoke gray . Both look great., and easy touch up.

He did a good job, you have to coat the welds really well on the inside, otherwise you may get a slow leak.

I know this is three years old but i just read this bit.....if you need to cover welds with anything to prevent leaks....those are s*** welds...and that guy has no business welding on wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom