Color decsisions decisions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fishjunkie

grasshopper
Threads
Years into my 80 I am finally heading toward a complete repaint. I can't remember the thread where I found this pic although want to thank the owner of this nice ride for posting it. It gave me a good starting point for playing around in photoshop. Here are a few of the colors that I am imagining right now. These are eyeballed to stock or other colors I have liked from the earlier series. Current paint is clear coat failing green and now's my chance to get out of metallics. I plan on driving my 80 until I am 80 so color first, resale value way down the list.

There's a wide range here and frankly a little help in deciding would be appreciated as the mrs. would be happy with white, white, and white. I may still go that direction, but a man can dream. Thanks for any help. :)
80 colors.jpg

The only reason I would stay with the original color is so your door jambs and bay areas match. If you change it, will you be doing all of that too, or just leaving it mismatched?

I like 4 and 9. If you are going to pull the trigger on a radical change spend the coin and do the jams ect.

Boring stock color is nice. Its like seeing a restored cruiser as opposed to a modded one. Just the vintage car fan in me sounding off here.

That's a tough call because honestly, I like them all. If you have a grey interior, 3-5-7?

9 and then 6 for me

Years into my 80 I am finally heading toward a complete repaint. I can't remember the thread where I found this pic although want to thank the owner of this nice ride for posting it. It gave me a good starting point for playing around in photoshop. Here are a few of the colors that I am imagining right now. These are eyeballed to stock or other colors I have liked from the earlier series. Current paint is clear coat failing green and now's my chance to get out of metallics. I plan on driving my 80 until I am 80 so color first, resale value way down the list.

There's a wide range here and frankly a little help in deciding would be appreciated as the mrs. would be happy with white, white, and white. I may still go that direction, but a man can dream. Thanks for any help. :)

2 and 6:cheers:

IMO I like the 80 in white the best. I also like VW dolphin grey, and my all time fav is red for any vehicle.

4 and 9...Suprising how mush I like the Orange. But yes, unless I could change the doorjambs and stuff I'd stay stock.

As a designer, I'm impressed with the Photoshop work...it's hard to get the highlights and the gloss done correctly. Very well done. Here are my attempts.

normancoloe2011collecti.jpg

By trapper50cal at 2011-10-22

very flat and "matte" compared to yours...

That being said, I like 4,5,9 of yours.

Thanks to all so far for the help.

Given comments, here are some more assumptions:
- planning to paint jambs and hood but not likely bay if color change
- NO oem flares, rack/ribs, or deflector
- current interior is stock brownish carpet and tan worn leather seats...at some point going to AATLAS this situation or something along that line

The way I see it, I can make payments on a newer vehicle that I won't like half as much or get me to half the places I like to go. So it's worth two car payments right?;)

Trapper -- thanks...here's the photoshop trick I found after some experimenting:
- quick selection tool to create your mask
- create hue/saturation layer
- click "colorize" under the sliders
- play with sliders

Seems like I remember another thread similar to this one.

I will give my same answer :D
Pink.jpg

(^oh no.... Not the sandy pink again ;) ) I like the green and the auburn/orange... Very different.

Picking A Color

I painted a 1994 FZJ80 Complete House of Kolors "Tangerine Kandy" and as you see I am partial to Blue... I painted my LX450 "Speedway Blue" the Tacoma/Tundra color. I used a grey base for it and I was able to get it one shade deeper. I seriously suggest that if this is your cruiser, and it is your cruiser for the long run that you pick the color that your heart is 100% in love with. Believe me when I say that you may regret listening to someone else's recommendations if they do not mirror yours. Nothing sucks worse than spending the money to paint a rig based on suggestions only to find 3 months down the road that you regret not following your first intuition. Take my word for this. I rode around for 2 years once in a color I followed advice on only to tear the whole truck apart afterall and sand it all back off and paint it again. Just in materials I wasted $800. Not to mention my time to prep and spray the whole thing.
Follow your Heart, It's your Cruiser. :cheers:

I would be all about the #9 burnt looking orange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom