Colombia (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm down in Colombia and there are a ton of Land Cruisers around here. Just outside my place there is a really nice FJ55 and accross the street is a 80 series (which here is the 4500), and the gaurds across the street sit in a newer 45 series. About 15 feet from my door at work there are a bunch of crashed and what appears to be impounded cars. There is a FJ45 there that looks like perfect condition inside and just a tad bit of rust up near the hood that appears to be just surface. I presume it is gasoline but I didn't want the gaurd to shoot me as I had already snuck in.

On my walk today I saw what appeared to be another FJ45 but the fiberglass top on it was really strange. I might just have to take my camera with me next weekend and snap a few pictures. Not sure how people would feel about that here.

I bet there are a lot more of them around here but I'm in Bogota and the city probably isn't the best home for the FJ's.

PICS!!

Let me know if you need anything while you are down there...I can attest there are Landcruisers all over the place. If you get any free time I will get my cousin to meet you and show you cool places around. I also can get you a free meal at our restaurant :)

Juan

The few times i went down there, they were everywhere. Granted that was a few years ago now before 9-11.

Hello Juan,

I remember you saying there were a lot down here. Unfortuneatly I don't speak a lick of Spanish. But I'm working on it every night and I'm doing well enough that I can get some groceries and be freindly to the few people I have to talk to.

Is your cousin in Bogota?

I will try and take some pics. If I spoke Spanish I would have stopped by and talked to the old man that apperently owns the 55.

I have yet to see any 70 series. I'm not sure if any of those were brought here or not.

Land Cruiser outside building

Alright,

I know I don't need a LC when I just got rid of my last one but I'm feeling remorse. I know I won't get to drive it but a few months in the next couple years but I can't help but imagine and need your collective thoughts.

Juan might now the most about it.

Here on the Embassy there is what appears to be a late 70's early 80's FJ45. I talked to a mechanic outside and he sent me into the embassy to customs and I had a good chat.

They said that the vehicle was purchased by a US Commander and then the VIN did not match the paperwork he had and then he abandoned it. That was 7 years ago. They said until recently they have not found a way to get rid of it (good timing). They actually said though they would probably have to techniacally put it up for auction they would love for me to get rid of the thing.

I figure there is two ways to do this.

#1: Keep following up with them to see if they can work out the paperwork issue

#2: Say I don't care that it doesn't match and get it shipped back to the states as a parts car....doubt that would work as I'm sure paperwork would still have to work but you can see the direction I'm heading in.

Besides a flat tire and a bit of surface rust on the corners of the hood the thing is immaculate. The best part....it appears to have only just over 2K original miles on the truck. Unless the odometer broke or it turned over a hundered. But judging by the shape it is in I would say 2K. Not a drop of oil insde the engine bay and not a spec of dirt inside the rig and it has been there for almost a decade.

Of course even if I could get the thing for a few hundred bucks it would still probably cost me an arm and a leg to get it shipped and customs and all that Balogna that goes along with customs agents. Probably take months and a gillion man hours and arguing with the mafia just to get my car.

I'll take a picture or two tomorrow and send it.

Ideas...I need ideas.

You're military... buy it and throw it on a C-130. Say it's a classified military vehicle!

What you could do first is to establish the status of the vehicle at the department of motor vehicles in Bogota. Once you clear that then proceed to figure out legally how to transfer the title to your name which is called over there TARJETA DE PROPIEDAD (TITLE), taxes on vehicle have to be up to date before the title is transfered. You should try to make a trip to motor vehicles and discuss your options with a rep there first. If you need help I can arrange for you to have my cousing help you as he is more familiar with the different processes there than me since I move here long before I ever had to do anything related to these type of things. If you have any hurdles I am sure I can also move some strings to make your process easier. Shipping to miami will cost you around 1k and you can bring a vehicle into the US pretty easy if it is over 25 years old. Let me know if you want help meeting with my cousing. He will be delighted in hanging out with you and showing you the ropes..

now I would love to see a pic as I have never seen any 45s at the embassy or many 45s period in colombia...

I may be wrong on what it is. Maybe it is a 40. It is unlike what I've seen in the states though. Has what appears to be a sunroof inside but it does not extend to the outside (like it was an option for the rig but not actually done). Also the rear seats seem much longer than on my 40 but not quite as long as the 45 trucks that you see back in the states.

Also there are huge vents where the fiberglass top connects to the front windsheild. The front locking hubs stick out a good 6 inches, and it has rubber bumpstops on front of the bumper. Also noted is a roof rack but it does not extend out to the drip rails. I doubt how much it could really hold.

I forgot my camera but just got a brief that we are not suppossed to take pictures on the compound. Maybe I'll talk to the guard who was really freindly the other day to let me take a few pictures of just the car.

I wish I could put it on the C-17 on my trip back. I think I would have to pay off to many people along the way. I bet there will be plenty of room on it though.

What you could do first is to establish the status of the vehicle at the department of motor vehicles in Bogota. Once you clear that then proceed to figure out legally how to transfer the title to your name which is called over there TARJETA DE PROPIEDAD (TITLE), taxes on vehicle have to be up to date before the title is transfered. You should try to make a trip to motor vehicles and discuss your options with a rep there first. If you need help I can arrange for you to have my cousing help you as he is more familiar with the different processes there than me since I move here long before I ever had to do anything related to these type of things. If you have any hurdles I am sure I can also move some strings to make your process easier. Shipping to miami will cost you around 1k and you can bring a vehicle into the US pretty easy if it is over 25 years old. Let me know if you want help meeting with my cousing. He will be delighted in hanging out with you and showing you the ropes..

Juan,

Thank you. I will do exactly that.

What's you doing in B, C?
I'm in Helmand, Afghan, but not with the Corps.

1653525103_14083c44c5.jpg

Does it look like this? FJ-43....

1653525103_14083c44c5.jpg

Does it look like this? FJ-43....

Maybe I'm going to try and take some pictures. I'm not suppossed to take pictures here but I'll talk to the guard and take some close ups and h might give me some slack. But off of memory of looking at it a couple times I would say yes that is what it looks like. I had never even heard of a 43 before today.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/204285-my-new-fj-43-a-2.html

It looks like the green one half way down this page. Same vents in the aftermarket top. Only difference is this one here has the 70 Series turn signals. And this one here has a roof rack. It has the same Locking hubs that stick way out as well. Has the same what appear to be aftermarket mirrors as well. I guess they are split rims..which I hear nobody in the US will put tires on anymore.

I pulled some info but I could not find the frame code to verify what it said on the info plate. I think maybe that is where the hold up is on the vehicle being transfered down here.

Model: FJ43L-KC
Frame: FJ43-67185
Trim: 309-LL11
Plant: H41 K052

Engine numbers are 11411

These engine numbers might not be the right ones. They were on the drivers side under the exhaust towards the front.

According to some stuff I found online it was made in 03/1980. I forgot to grab the vin off the otherside I will go out and grab that later today. The doors are locked but there is a lock smith right accross from me. I bet they could help me out.

I got back from there last year and never saw that beauty. There was another busted up red i belive 40 in the rear parking where our B-team was. Where did you find her?

Yep,

That is probably the same one I'm talking about. I wouldn't really call it busted up though. Besides a tad bit of rust on the corners of the hood it is in pretty darn good shape..just sun faded and dirty from sitting there 7 years. It is a FJ43 though.

I need to get the locksmith accross the way to help me get in and check the vin tag on the door pillar as it is locked (I may be able to rig something up and go thru the lower vent.)

I haven't crawled around under it but I can't find a frame number anywhere on the thing. And the frame is clean so I don't think it is covered up.

Why don't you just pop the hinge pins out?

I guess I could do something like that. I need to make sure I get permission from the guys and talk to the guards befor I start completely busting into vehicles though.

Is it pretty easy to do? Then it would not rotate though correct as the door latch would still be locked.

I know Toyota keeps track of key codes for newer vehicles but did they do it for rigs as far back as 80 in Colombia? If I found the right toyota dealer I could just get a key made as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom