Coleman stainless steel cooler latch questiion...

Hey folks,

Who has one of these Coleman stainless steel coolers? I'm wondering if my latch is messed up. I got one for my birthday a few days ago and the latch doesn't close the lid tightly. Is yours like that? Is it adjustable?

Jody.

treerootCO

Where are my keys?!

I have one and the latch closes the lid but not tight. Also, if you pull up on the lid with the latch latched it will open. It still keeps everything cold though.

Trunk Monkey

It a safety thing. They won't put the latches on anymore that can trap kids. So, with it latched, you can still pop it open. Mine's the same way.

I scored an old school one that my neighbor was going to throw away. Locks it tight, so safety crap here, and it has built in bottle openers built into the handles.

Denver,

Those are the sh*t was looking for an old school one a few years ago but e-bay prices are unreal......

Looks like if you changed out the top handle took out the two screws and replaced the plastic with a metal lip that the latch could fit over it would work.
Good Luck

:cheers:

cruiserwanted said:
Denver,

Those are the sh*t was looking for an old school one a few years ago but e-bay prices are unreal......

Looks like if you changed out the top handle took out the two screws and replaced the plastic with a metal lip that the latch could fit over it would work.
Good Luck

:cheers:

Yea, and this guy threw it out. Good thing I'm not too proud. :cool:

We used to have an old-school green one with the white bottom when I was a kid. Don't know what happend to it, but I remember the bottom eventually got cracked up pretty bad and it started to rust -- I'm sure after about 20 years or so!! That latch rocked!!

Oh well, I called Coleman and they said the same thing -- safety thing and that the lid not closing tight won't keep it from working well. Okay, good enough for me.

Thanks for all the input guys!!!

Jody.

I was wondering about the same thing with mine - never thought of the toddler proofing concept

They are pretty sweet but don't work as well for long trips like the 5 day Igloos -

I am always worried about getting mine stolen out of the back of my truck, good thing it has my ass-print on the lid so I can ID it for the cops :D

Yeah mine does'nt stay latched tight either.
I just thought it was a pos.
I did'nt think about the saftey issue.
Thanks for the info ;)

Guys, I have two of these that I modified slightly to improve the seal, to compensate for the wimpified latch. If you look at the lid, there's a channel cut into it that's supposed to fit around the lip of the actual cooler, about 1/2" across. I bought a roll of self-stick white foam rubber from Lowe's and carefully inserted it in the channel. The fit is tight.

When I was done, the lid sealed really well againt the cooler, but the wimpy latch would pop out. So I placed an Action Packer loaded with recovery gear on top of the cooler for a few days. The result was that the foam rubber compressed and now the lid seals like a refrigerator door. These coolers are good to begin with, but I think the seal really improved the cooling, at the Lone Star Roundup it kept ice in from Wednesday afternoon to Saturday morning, and that's with bag ice and people constantly opening and closing it. With block ice and controlled opening, I can get the ice to last a couple of days more.

Good idea - I knew someone had to have found a way to fix 'em

My problem with stuff lasting for a couple days is that the cooler is really too small to put a couple days' worth of beer in it :D

Trunk Monkey

Awesome tip Henry, thanks. I was a little dissappointed that these wouldn't keep ice a little longer. Couple of friends have the plastic "Xtreme" Colemans and they seem to perform much better.

Top Bottom