Cold start -- Two turns of Ignition key? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Addis Ababa Past: Seattle, Windhoek, Dar es Salaam
Was wondering what the general consensus might be given these circumstances...

If I let the truck sit a week, I often have to turn the key twice to start. The first time brings on everything but the starter doesn't seem to catch, I just hear a click. Second turn and the truck fires up no problems. Subsequent hot starts no problems. In fact if I start it every two to three days or so (instead of letting it go a full week) no problems either. Am I looking at needing new contacts? If so is it worth replacing the starter while everything is opened up (god I wish contacts on the 100 were as easy as the 80).
Starter age is unknown (truck was well maintained by 1st owner but I don't have receipts) but I'm at 245K.

It might be your battery as well, if it sits for a week and then have trouble starting then i'd look at the battery also.

Excellent advice above, when dealing with any electric goblins that appear suddenly and may change behavior, always check the battery health first. On modern cars especially this is important and modern cars also have more draw even when unused owing to things like security systems, etc.

That sounds like a starter to me. My old 4runner had the same symptoms and new starter fixed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom