cold start problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So it has been pretty cold here the past few nights -between 5 and 15 with the wind chill- and the other day I went to start my cruiser and it took 2 tries, which has never happened before. Do you think I just need to pump the pedal a few extra times to give it a richer mix?? Normally I give it about 3-4 pumps with the choke all the way and it instantly starts, no extensive cranking or anything. Could it also be the oil I have in it? right now I have 10w-40, and I am guessing the engine probably has to work pretty hard to make it move around when it is that cold out. Any input would be sweet, cause I hate it when people see that it takes 2 tries to start a car that is far superior to theirs in all aspects.
:D :D :D

damn dude, yur lucky then. as Doc stated above, sometimes they dont start at all. plug in the block heater, and use a timer. i set mine to come on at 3:30am, and go off at 7:00. no more hard starts after that.

Yeah, you lucky bastage.

I pumped, I choked.... no start.

FWIW, I'm running Rottella T-syn 5w40 and a jacobs ingnition sys.

- 22 C here last night. I didn't fill my truck up with winter diesel... Last fill was over two months ago.

It's a no go for me this morning.

Try the block heater. It will help.

Sadly I don't have a heater to plug in, nor a plug to plug it into. I am going to change the oil tomorrow though, along with the thermostat-I think mine is stuck open cause it is barely coming up into the white on the temp guage- and yeah, this morning I went to start it after it had sat for 2 days in temps no higher than 35, and I gave it 6 pumps and it seemed to start fine........so I guess ol' Sheila just needs a bit more of a richer mix on those cold mornings. lol

As far as the block heater is their a limit on hold long to leave it pluged in for? Sorry for the stupid question.

MR.FJ60 said:
As far as the block heater is their a limit on hold long to leave it pluged in for? Sorry for the stupid question.

Nope, leave it in all night if you'd like. When I lived in MN it was common practise though probably not necessary. A timer a couple hours before starting should be good enough.

my cruiser is parked about 2 blocks down from yours. 4 pumps on the pedal, full choke and she starts right up. i am using different viscosity oil (and synthetic), so perhaps an oil change will do you good. rebuilding the carb a few weeks ago made all the difference in the world for my cruiser.

Well, it was about 20 degrees here last night and this morning it took me 15 minutes to start it up.

I added some of that IsoHeet stuff to the fuel and I use 10-30 syn blend oil. Summer it starts right up but in the winter, I must pump about a 1/4 of a gallon into it before it starts up. I am scared I am going to run out of charge before it starts. I changed the plugs about 2 weeks ago also.

I should probably take the 80 out of the garage and put my 60 in it.

I would kill for two try starts.

I thought that the oil is thinner when it's cold, i.e. the 10 in the 10-40 or 10-50 that we use in our 60's. So would changing the oil really make that much of a difference?

I'm not trying to steal the thread, but am interested in this...

Absolutely not. That's why you drain your oil when the engine is hot during an oil change, and why you decrease viscosity when it gets colder. The colder a material is, the less the atoms tend to move around, thus the material becomes harder and more crystaline. i.e. water to ice.

djawahir said:
I thought that the oil is thinner when it's cold, i.e. the 10 in the 10-40 or 10-50 that we use in our 60's. So would changing the oil really make that much of a difference?

I'm not trying to steal the thread, but am interested in this...

Changed the oil, filter, and thermostat yesterday. Now with about 5-6 pumps sheila starts right up, and the heater actually blows warm instead of just semi-warm. I'm stoked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom