Cold start problem Nissan pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Vehicle is a 1994 Nissan D21 Hardbody or pickup. 4 cylinder, 5 speed, 4x4, 94,000 miles. There is no issue when the ambient temp is warm or during spring or summer or early fall. When it's cold and I mean cold as in the problem only occurs when it's 45 degrees or below and the vehicle has been sitting for a couple hours, it won't even turn over. I hear a very slight click and it is the fuel pump relay. Even when cold out if I turn it off after completely driven a nd warmed up, it'll start right up. When I'm lucky, if I hold the key turned over and wait sometimes it will eventually go click......click....click..click, some rapid clicks then turn over till it fires up. If it turns over it starts without fail, the problem is getting it to turn over. I've replaced the starter 2 times, the starter relay and have used OEM on everything. PLEASE HELP!!

For the simple things what is the condition of the battery? It sounds to me like your battery is done. However I have had HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE experiences with OEM Nissan starters. I get my starters from my local foreign parts place with a lifetime warr, they come from a place in OK, IIRC Percision Parts.

HTH,
Zack

I've had battery and alternator tested and both are fine. So you think it may be the starter again, I guess it's possible. Just changed it for the third time about 3 weeks ago. Easy to change out at least. We'll see.

I know that early Hondas have a quirky issue with the main relay that is tempature related. Not sure if Nissan may have the same deal or not. I'd say on the next cold day that you have free, get a test light and start checking the starting circuit... even easier if you have a friend help turn it over for you while you check it.

Battery and alternator tested on the vehicle? I had a similar issue with my old '93 Nissan PU and it was a bad cable. The little import crappy strap-style battery clamps suck and they corrode much more easily than the old lead puck style. Test the charging system on the vehicle. Autozone should do this for free. You should also see if you can get a voltmeter on the battery when you are having the problem to see what's up. Make sure your grounds are good. Check both ends of the main ground for corrosion.

Might also be a sticky solenoid on the starter. If you live in an area with really extreme cold, you might look at insulating the starter.

More testing

What else have you tested? Is the battery possibly testing ok but still not sufficient to turn over the truck?

Have you seen this yet?: Locate the large Blue interlock relay on the passenger's inner fender by the battery. With the clutch pedal depressed, make sure the clutch switch circuit is going to ground on the Light Green wire at the relay. Next, with the ignition switch in the start position, there should be 12 volts on both Black/Yellow wires at the relay. The Black/Pink wire should then be sending out voltage to the starter while cranking. If not, then replace the interlock relay.

It doesn't have anything to do with temp but temp/moisture might be the fluke here.

Last edited: