Cold Start---Just Say'n (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
3 consecutive days of -30 degree temp, -50 Degree wind chill sitting outside.

Started every morning in 3-4 verrry sloooow revolutions

1998 Hundy

you realize windchill doesn't affect inanimate objects.

it's still cold tho. all the cold just missed us.

you realize windchill doesn't affect inanimate objects.

it's still cold tho. all the cold just missed us.

Yes, but it did affect the other people struggling to get their newer cars started :)

I'm happy with how my $13K rig performed, nearly 200K miles. Warm and safe. Plenty of stalled vehicles seen on every leg of my commutes. Deep cold does strange things to cars..

Windchill, specifically wind, would affect how quickly an engine would lose its heat.

true, but it won't go any colder than actual temperature.

metal at -30 with windchill at -50 the metal is still -30

I think most moderately educated folks already understand that. Up here, the news has resorted to reporting windchills or 'feels like temp' as a default, not actual air temps. So we get bombarded by it. Same concept of 'if it bleeds, it leads' for the news.

In regards to vehicles and what concerns me, is I see people outside of their cars in this weather, trying to be master technicians. One dude on the news was changing a battery without gloves or a hat. A lot of stranded vehicles the last few days. Saw people standing outside of their cars, which is about the most dangerous place in the world. Windchill will get you, if another car doesn't, in a matter of minutes.

when-u-live-somewhere-where-the-air-hurts-ur-face-13008620.png

Like most, mine cranked right up as well. However, i experienced something I had never before. Both evenings it was at zero degrees and I left work I heard a supercharger type whine from what I assume to be the diffs as I pulled out of my work driveway. I kept it easy for a couple miles and the sound went away. I suppose it was the cold gear oil before getting a chance to warm up.

Oh there’s all kinds of weird noises you don’t pay attention to when it’s that cold

Last edited:
Like most, mine cranked right up as well. However, i experienced something I had never before. Both evenings it was at zero degrees and I left work I heard a supercharger type whine from what I assume to be the diffs as I pulled out of my work driveway. I kept it easy for a couple miles and the sound went away. I suppose it was the cold gear oil before getting a chance to warm up.

Yep mine does the same in cold weather . it's just the cold oil in the center diff

Yep mine does the same in cold weather . it's just the cold oil in the center diff

Watch this video... Use the right gear oil for your climate zone. (Granted -40C is relatively rare for my American neighbors):

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom