cold shifting wont go into gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
searched the forum and found some posts about reverse. problem im having is from a cold start i cant put the transmission into any gear without 2-3 minutes of exercising the clutch and trying to force it. it usually goes into 4th first then eventually 1st. i checked the clutch reservoir. the fluid is full but looks pretty dirty. any help would be appreciated.

thanks
jason

If it shifts fine when the engine is off, then the problem likely is worn out hydraulics not lettIng you disengage the clutch fully.

Try flushing the system. It’s easy. A clutch master and slave are cheap and easy to install. If that doesn’t do it then something else is going on. I’m with OSS on this one.

My truck shifts very stiff when its cold in the winter. Once it warms up it shifts fine...this I attribute simply to the fact that the gear oil is quite thick when its cold but warms up and acts as normal.

its hard to shift when the engine is off. once im running it shifts fine but before its running it basically wont go into gear without major calisthenics

I've heard of people putting their transfer case in neutral and putting their trans in 2 or 3 while the truck is warming up to let stuff move around in there.

no idea if that will help

I've heard of people putting their transfer case in neutral and putting their trans in 2 or 3 while the truck is warming up to let stuff move around in there.

no idea if that will help

I've done that at -25F but in the temps we have now, it shouldn't be an issue

Check the shift lever bushing.
There's something going on with the way the shift lever is pivoting or less likely something strange happened to how the shift forks move in the case.
Even if there was no oil in the transmission, it should shift easily through all the gears when the engine is OFF at any temperature.

Last edited:

I do that in the winter. Not only heats up the trans and xfer oil, it loads the engine a bit and helps it warm up. Just be sure to set the parking brake and don't accidentally bump the xfer case into gear!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom