Cold saw recommendations for a home gamer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Eyedaho

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm looking to upgrade from an abrasive chop saw to a cold saw for cutting aluminum and steel at home for projects. I'm not feeling like I can justify the ~$600 for a DeWalt or Makita, and I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a cheaper one? Or bad experience with a cheaper one like the Evolution?

Yeah, I got the one home depot sells, I use it off and on so couldn't really justify either, so far its been excellent.

My brother recently bought an Evolution R255SMS Dual Bevel. I've only used it a couple of times, and only for steel, but so far it's pretty nice. When cutting metal the material needs to be clamped down really well (more than just the little clamp provided) or it will take the teeth off the blade. It's nice to be able to get compound angle cuts on steel.

Thank you both for the feedback! I have been looking at the Evolution saws but I don't have any personal experience with the brand, so you have both been very helpful.

Like so many of my purchases, I am struggling with buying the cheapest thing that will do what I want to do right now, versus spending the extra money to future proof my investment. Haha. This scenario plays out for me in my head for so many things, but the older I get the more I hedge towards ponying up for what I really want.

That said, I'm looking at the more expensive 14/15" Evolution, Makita, DeWalt, Fein, etc. I like the idea of the multi material saws, but since I have a nice sliding miter saw for wood, I don't think I should compromise on the metal cutting.

Anyway, I appreciate both of your input, and I'll pull the trigger on the next few days, probably on either a DeWalt DW872 (~$575) or an Evolution S300CPS (~$439). Or maybe a Makita LC1230 (~$519). I know I like my DeWalt miter saw, and the reviews seem good one the DW872. The Evolution saves a little money, but it looks like it has a little less powerful motor and comes with a lower quality blade. The Makita might be the best pick, but I can't find many reviews. Seems like it comes down to price versus motor power, clamping/miter ability, and blade quality. Obviously after you use up the first blade that part is moot.

I have the lc1230 Makita stop and have been very happy with it overall. It does have a bit smaller blade, so that limits a little bit how large of material you can cut, especially if you're doing aggressive angles. I have bought one new blade and plan to try and have the original sharpened at some point.

I am intrigued by the dual bevel Evolution Saw mentioned above - that could potentially be really nice if the saw still cuts well. The Makita is pretty simple and has what I think is a cast aluminum base so its nice and stiff, which is good for cutting. I bought the makita a little over a year ago when it was more like $400. I would be looking at the evolution pretty hard if buying now.

I have the lc1230 Makita stop and have been very happy with it overall. It does have a bit smaller blade, so that limits a little bit how large of material you can cut, especially if you're doing aggressive angles. I have bought one new blade and plan to try and have the original sharpened at some point.

I am intrigued by the dual bevel Evolution Saw mentioned above - that could potentially be really nice if the saw still cuts well. The Makita is pretty simple and has what I think is a cast aluminum base so its nice and stiff, which is good for cutting. I bought the makita a little over a year ago when it was more like $400. I would be looking at the evolution pretty hard if buying now.
Thank you for the feedback! I ended up getting the LC1230, and it was at my door when I got home a few minutes ago. I was torn, but think it will work well for my needs. I will get you try it out in the next week or two cutting aluminum tubing for the raft platform for my trailer. I did have a gift card for HD, so between that and the free shipping it didn't break the bank.

Thank you for the feedback! I ended up getting the LC1230, and it was at my door when I got home a few minutes ago. I was torn, but think it will work well for my needs. I will get you try it out in the next week or two cutting aluminum tubing for the raft platform for my trailer. I did have a gift card for HD, so between that and the free shipping it didn't break the bank.

Did you get an aluminum specific blade? I've cut a small amount of aluminum with the stock blade, but my understanding is it's not necessarily recommended. It seemed to work alright when I tried it though. I normally just cut aluminum on my table saw with a carbide blade designed for wood.

Did you get an aluminum specific blade? I've cut a small amount of aluminum with the stock blade, but my understanding is it's not necessarily recommended. It seemed to work alright when I tried it though. I normally just cut aluminum on my table saw with a carbide blade designed for wood.
I have a higher tooth count aluminum blade on the way. I'm sure I could do this project on my miter saw or my table saw, but I that's just my first thing I have planned for the new saw. I admit that I'm a little uptight about my tools, and I would rather keep the metal chips out of the wood saws. :)

What is the TPI needed to cut when a carbide blade is used? I've done this with a skil saw using an alum specific blade and it still sucked mucho.

ok, that's good info. I'll pick one up for alum cutting. Thx.

Like so many of my purchases, I am struggling with buying the cheapest thing that will do what I want to do right now, versus spending the extra money to future proof my investment. Haha. This scenario plays out for me in my head for so many things, but the older I get the more I hedge towards ponying up for what I really want.

That said, I'm looking at the more expensive 14/15" Evolution, Makita, DeWalt, Fein, etc.

I feel the same way, the one I have from home depot is the 14" evolution. I figure it's a Middle of the road tool. There are alot of reviews out there on this saw and that eased me about buying a cheaper tool.

Always roll the dice with quality vs lower price,, buy I only use it off and on, and I have other means to cut steel should it fail.

I thought of this thread because I got it out to make a few cuts today, and it performed perfectly again.

P.s. I've always cut aluminum with a regular carbide blade, even with the handheld skillsaw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom