Cold mornings warm up times (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,
very simple question regarding warm up time.
My first winter with the HJ61 is approaching and I don´t want to mistreat her, she´s been good so far.
She starts with one black poof and then just pure fresh diesel invisible fumes.

So I noticed after a few minutes (let´s say 5, but I never really counted) rpms drop from high (let´s say 1000) to low (around 600) Is this normal? Needle still pointing at cold.

What´s your (truck) warm up routine on a cold morning? I´ve read many things like diesels warm up only under load and so on, but I want an honest mudder opinion.

Cheers!

I have a Canadian spec diesel and I'm pretty sure the owners manual just says not to race the engine when cold. If it is really cold they recommend setting the hand throttle to half or something like that.

Synthetic oil is a great idea if you'll be operating it in actual cold conditions, below freezing kind of thing.

I find mine will idle forever and the needle would never move from full cold if it's below -10C kind of thing, needs some load to generate heat. Webasto solved all those issues, highly recommended if you're planning on using this as your primary vehicle through the winter.

I have a heater plug in, just below the glow plugs but there are better locations, and many alternatives like oil heater, stick on oil pan heater, rad heater (seems silly, heat the engine, not the rad and stay before the thermostat)
Idling for minutes is bad for a cold engine beacuse it never heats up, I just start, idle up with hand throttle, wait for oil pressure, a few seconds, and drive away.

Webasto. If it's cold (sub -20C) then I might also plug in pad heaters on engine and transmission.

Start it up, idle for 10secs or so while I put on seatbelt and connect phone. Then drive gently until things warm up.

Idle drop is normal.
There is a temp. Controlled vsv which drops the idle revs.
HJ61 Needs longer warm up time then a Hj60 . At least that is what I experienced.
Hj61 is more fuel efficient, which makes it run colder and gives longer warm up times.
My Hj60 has a Eberspacher .The 61 will get that also when the frame off rebuild is finished.

Hi guys,
thanks for the info and the suggestions!

Idle drop is normal.
There is a temp. Controlled vsv which drops the idle revs.
good to know!

I have a heater plug in, just below the glow plugs but there are better locations, and many alternatives like oil heater, stick on oil pan heater, rad heater (seems silly, heat the engine, not the rad and stay before the thermostat)
I might look into that. I want to check the behaviour this winter, as it's not extremely cold in Stuttgart (average 0° to -5° C) Also she is not daily drive.

Synthetic oil is a great idea if you'll be operating it in actual cold conditions, below freezing kind of thing.
any particular density you'd recommend?

any particular density you'd recommend?

I've been running Rotella T6 5w40, but it gets down to -35C for weeks at a time in the winter here. If I never winter drove it I'd probably go with the 15w40.

What I did when installing 30 mm block heater: Radiator, cooling, heater DEFA 411122 30mm 600W

Better is:
Use a 35 mm block heater and mount that behind the EDIC, this is a better place as warm water goes up.
I have used a 30mm heater just below the injector, that works good, but the 35 mm might me better:

11431B 90331-35003 PLUG, TIGHT, NO.2 (FOR CYLINDER BLOCK). PLUG, TIGHT, NO.2 (FOR CYLINDER BLOCK) (08.1980-08.1987) 2H,12HT..HJ6*; OD=35,ID=14

11431A 96411-43500 PLUG, NO.1. PLUG, TIGHT, NO.1 (FOR CYLINDER BLOCK) (08.1980-08.1987) 2H,12HT..HJ6*; OD=35

this seems the best location, 35mm:
2_07a467fdf826f2e119c05922d7948bfa.jpg

What´s your (truck) warm up routine on a cold morning?

As soon as the oil reaches normal pressure, Im moving. I take it easy for a klm or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom