Cold Feet - HVAC Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gents
I lived in Florida for the first 3 years I owned my '04 LC. I don't know if I ever used the heat or paid any attention to how it works, except to clear the windshield from fogging.

Now that I moved to New Jersey and Winter is here, I noticed that there is no heat coming from the floor area when the Climate is on Floor, or at any time when Climate is on Auto but showing the floor selector lighted.

Heat does come out the dash (windshield) and if set, out the dash (a/c) vents, but my feet are cold and there isn't any heat or blown wind at all down there regardless of setting or engine temp. My guess, either there is a fan that is broke, or there is a duct that is supposed to open that isn't opening.

Questions:
1. Where is the heat supposed to come from? (ie, I can't see any duct when I stick my head under the dash)
2. Is there a separate fan?
3. Anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks for the help.

Back in the day when I was in the Coast Guard living in South Florida I bought an older 85 Honda Prelude.
Everything was fine and dandy till I moved back to Utah in the winter when I got out. The thing had no heat whatsoever. I took it into a mechanic and he said someone had took the entire heater core out of the car. He said dealers in Florida sometimes do that as an incentive. I had to scrape the windshield of the car from the inside! If you have heat coming out the defroster I would think you're ok. Maybe you just have some hoses disconnected or something.

Back in the day when I was in the Coast Guard living in South Florida I bought an older 85 Honda Prelude.
Everything was fine and dandy till I moved back to Utah in the winter when I got out. The thing had no heat whatsoever. I took it into a mechanic and he said someone had took the entire heater core out of the car. He said dealers in Florida sometimes do that as an incentive. I had to scrape the windshield of the car from the inside! If you have heat coming out the defroster I would think you're ok. Maybe you just have some hoses disconnected or something.

Thanks, and thank-goodness that isn't my issue. It has heat somewhere, I am not sure where.

I live in Phoenix and never need heat. When I have my girlfriend in the passenger seat, however, she wants the floor heat and always complains about not getting it. This is a great question, maybe the Lexus' got a vent that the Land Cruiser didn't? :rolleyes:

I would be (amazingly) surprised if it didn't have a floor vent but had all the indicators on the Climate control for one.

Gents with cold weather experience, maybe this line is question is too silly, but please educate on where the vents are and if there is some type of valve that could be stuck preventing airflow to the floor.

Thanks

I'm sure taking a look at the FSM would tell you everything you ever wanted to know about the HVAC system, including the location of the vents. If you don't have one, at the very least you could stick your head down in the footwells and look for some larger openings near the centre console ;)

I'm sure taking a look at the FSM would tell you everything you ever wanted to know about the HVAC system, including the location of the vents. If you don't have one, at the very least you could stick your head down in the footwells and look for some larger openings near the centre console ;)

x2 - and in particular there's a whole long section on diagnosing the HVAC system based on the symptoms you're seeing.

Found this...not sure it shows what you are looking for

Attachments

• DOC110910.pdf
    42 KB · Views: 181
The airmix servo motor is a somewhat common problem but I wouldn't be surprised if your system just had some buildup keeping the damper from swinging or moving to the floor heat position. Maybe manually operating it would free it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom